Author Topic: GOP struggles to find 'yes' debt votes  (Read 587 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP struggles to find 'yes' debt votes
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:06:56 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/198201-senate-debt-vote-set-to-be-razor-thin

February 12, 2014, 12:21 pm
GOP struggles to find 'yes' debt votes

By Erik Wasson and Peter Schroeder

Republicans in the Senate are struggling to come up with the five votes they'll need to ensure passage on Wednesday of a House bill raising the debt ceiling.

The measure is likely to win support from the upper chamber's 53 Democrats and the two Independents that caucus with Democrats.

But only one Republican, Sen. Mark Kirk (Ill.), has so far said he will back the bill.

The measure needs 60 votes because Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is filibustering the bill over the lack of spending reforms attached to it.

Kirk told The Hill the vote will be close.

“I think it’s narrow," he said.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) is expected to vote yes but told The Hill she was not prepared to announce her position on Wednesday morning.

A number of other GOP centrists said Wednesday that they plan to vote against cutting off debate for the bill.

Retiring Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) and Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), two friends of Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), said they are voting “no.”

Chambliss said he was unsure if the legislation would receive 60 votes.

Nonetheless, he said he did not begrudge Boehner for bringing a clean bill to the House floor, given the inability of House Republicans to coalesce around an alternative plan.

“John made it very plain early on that he was going to make sure the debt ceiling got raised and we’d pay our bills,” he said. “He’s been there for months.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) is also a “no.”

“I think the vote to raise the debt ceiling should be used to address the underlying problems so I will be voting no,” she said.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) who ridiculed the October government shutdown said he “thinks” he will vote against cutting off debate.

“I think we should have had concessions made to reduce the debt,” McCain said.

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) said he was undecided while Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), who voted to end the shutdown, said he is against the debt bill and Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.) said he is a likely no.

On the Democratic side, the most vulnerable senator said Wednesday he will vote to increase the $17.2 trillion debt ceiling.

“I don’t want to see us default on our national debt,” Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) said.

Vulnerable Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alaska) also said he is on board.

“I have been consistent in making sure we don’t default on the bills that we owe,” he said.

Only 28 House Republicans backed the debt ceiling bill in the House, where it was approved in a narrow 221-201 vote. Only two Democrats voted against it.

The bill extends borrowing authority through March 15, 2015 essentially removing the threat of any fiscal crisis ahead of the 2014 midterm elections.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Olivia

Re: GOP struggles to find 'yes' debt votes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:07 pm »
There's very little difference in democrats and republicans.
The only difference I can see is that democrats know how to win in politics and the republicans have no clue.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »
Meanwhile Obamacare is not the main focus, while Republicans eat each other.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:18:21 pm »
Is that a spine beginning to appear?  Surely not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:12 pm »
Is that a spine beginning to appear?  Surely not!

Don't get up your hopes!  Especially in the Senate where people like Susan Collins wears the republican title but votes democrat.  Too many of them....

Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »
Don't get up your hopes!  Especially in the Senate where people like Susan Collins wears the republican title but votes democrat.  Too many of them....

Believe me when I tell you that I'm not holding my breath!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:14 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:34:00 am »
I am shocked Cruz's filibuster didn't work.  Maybe he works best with months of planing time.  Why didn't he get SCF to get all the Senators to sign a pledge to defund Obamacare at the next debt limit.  Didn't he know it was coming? http://www.defundandrepeal.com/