Author Topic: Appeals court: NC cannot offer only anti-abortion plates  (Read 332 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Appeals court: NC cannot offer only anti-abortion plates
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »
http://www.wral.com/appeals-court-nc-cannot-offer-only-anti-abortion-plates/13379771/

Appeals court: NC cannot offer only anti-abortion plates

Posted 12:21 p.m. today
Updated 12:35 p.m. today

Choose Life license plate

Richmond, Va. — A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld a 2012 court ruling that North Carolina's decision to issue special anti-abortion license plates is unconstitutional because the state doesn't offer similar plates supporting abortion rights.

In a unanimous ruling, a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that the proposed "Choose Life" plates represent "blatant viewpoint discrimination squarely at odds with the First Amendment."

The decision upholds a December 2012 ruling by U.S. District Judge James Fox in Raleigh, which came 13 months after he blocked the state from issuing the plates while a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union was pending.

North Carolina lawmakers authorized the "Choose Life" plate in 2011, with a portion of the proceeds from sales of the plates earmarked for a nonprofit that supports crisis pregnancy centers. The law prohibited money from the plates from going to any group that promoted abortion.

Meanwhile, lawmakers defeated various amendments to the bill that created the "Choose Life" plate that would have also authorized plates that would have stated “Trust Women. Respect Choice” or “Respect Choice.”

“Today’s ruling protects the right of North Carolinians of all political beliefs to have equal access to avenues for free speech,” Chris Brook, ACLU state legal director, said in a statement. “The government cannot create an avenue of expression for one side of a contentious political issue while denying an equal opportunity to citizens with the opposite view. ... We would have made the exact same argument if the situation was reversed, and the state planned on issuing a pro-choice plate while not offering one expressing the opposite point of view.”
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

Re: Appeals court: NC cannot offer only anti-abortion plates
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »
So...............they should also offer a plate that says "Kill Babies???"

The pro-death left is pretty desperate to silence pro-lifers, aren't they?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:01 pm »

My solution:  get the government out of the business of car registration.  Problem solved.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
So...............they should also offer a plate that says "Kill Babies???"

The pro-death left is pretty desperate to silence pro-lifers, aren't they?

The N.C. legislature made a fundamental mistake here but one easily corrected! And then let's see which plate wins out!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien