Author Topic: Iran sending warships close to US borders  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Iran sending warships close to US borders
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:37 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_XwhQdu5TU

I guess we should be grateful the CIC started taking briefings only when the evil Faux News pointed out he wasn't.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:11:25 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:47 pm »
Why does Obama/the MSM rarely speak about any of his foreign policy anymore?

Russia reminds Obama of missile defense promise - CBS News
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-reminds-obama-of-missile-defense-promise/

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 03:02:26 pm »
I was aboard the Ranger when Israel had a plane hijacked and taken to Entebbe, Kenya.  Our battle group was sent into the Indian Ocean and there met a Russian destroyer squadron.  It looked like we operating alone out there but as soon as the Russian ships came in sight, a U.S. destroyer was on the fantail of each Russian ship, about 100 yds behind and stayed there until we transited out of the Indian Ocean.  We were doing about 25 kts. east so they started following us but as soon as they hooked up to refuel, our CO turned the squadron south at the same speed.  The Russians followed us and again tried to unrep and the captain turned back west.  An so it went for about a week.

Yep. I was on a Destroyer in a battle group with the Enterprise up around the Aleutians. We ran across a Russian battle group with their version of a carrier. The Minsk it was called. We broke off from the Enterprise and did just what you said. The captain was a madman and we were plowing all through their formation, cutting the bow of the carrier and just generally harassing them any way we could. Finally the carrier tried to ram us. We crossed the bow and got away only to be picked up by a Russian crusier close off the port side. I about crapped myself when fire control locked on and I saw the 5inch 54s swinging around. We sailed side by side locked on waiting for someone to pull the trigger for about 5 minutes and then broke off.

We harassed them for about a week. Then cruised on back to P.I. Harassing Russians was part of our mission as a Destroyer. And we did it well.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

rangerrebew

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »

Yep. I was on a Destroyer in a battle group with the Enterprise up around the Aleutians. We ran across a Russian battle group with their version of a carrier. The Minsk it was called. We broke off from the Enterprise and did just what you said. The captain was a madman and we were plowing all through their formation, cutting the bow of the carrier and just generally harassing them any way we could. Finally the carrier tried to ram us. We crossed the bow and got away only to be picked up by a Russian crusier close off the port side. I about crapped myself when fire control locked on and I saw the 5inch 54s swinging around. We sailed side by side locked on waiting for someone to pull the trigger for about 5 minutes and then broke off.

We harassed them for about a week. Then cruised on back to P.I. Harassing Russians was part of our mission as a Destroyer. And we did it well.

I imagine you did the same as we did with the subs that usually follow the squadrons, locate and ping until they couldn't stand it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:35:53 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:37 am »
Yes sir. Our goal with the subs was to stay directly on top of them. Keeps them from surfacing or even using the pariscope. Plus it drove them absolutely crazy. (which was a bonus) They would crazy Ivan or deadstop. But we always knew exactly where they were especially if we had help from the P3s. We would sit on those guys like a mother hen sits on an egg. lol

Those were wild times my friend.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

SPQR

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 04:30:04 am »
I was aboard the Ranger when Israel had a plane hijacked and taken to Entebbe, Kenya.  Our battle group was sent into the Indian Ocean and there met a Russian destroyer squadron.  It looked like we operating alone out there but as soon as the Russian ships came in sight, a U.S. destroyer was on the fantail of each Russian ship, about 100 yds behind and stayed there until we transited out of the Indian Ocean.  We were doing about 25 kts. east so they started following us but as soon as they hooked up to refuel, our CO turned the squadron south at the same speed.  The Russians followed us and again tried to unrep and the captain turned back west.  An so it went for about a week.

None of these ships are a threat. They are built in the 1960s. A Coast Guard cutter have more armaments than these ships. They are lucky that they will make it.

rangerrebew

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »
I remember seeing an intel briefing as we got nearer Africa where the officers couldn't help laughing at a threat from Dr. Idi Amin Dada that they would blow the Ranger and it's battle group out of the water.  I'm not sure they had anything as sophisticated as a Sopwith Camel and we probably had more jets on board than they had planes in total.  I'm sure it's the same with the Iranian "navy,"  their equipment is about 40 years behind the times with threats making up the difference.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
None of these ships are a threat. They are built in the 1960s. A Coast Guard cutter have more armaments than these ships. They are lucky that they will make it.

So is Russia's Navy still McHales?

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

If we decided to hit them, which I doubt very much with bother Obama and Jarrett in charge, but if we did every ship would be hit simultaneously at least once. It would be all over in less than 60 seconds, except for rescue efforts.

Those ships will have disappeared. Like they were never there.

rangerrebew

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 08:16:00 pm »

except for rescue efforts.

Maybe the SEALs could have target practice for the "rescue." :whistle: