Author Topic: Holder: Restore felons' voting rights  (Read 508 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Holder: Restore felons' voting rights
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »
http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2014/02/holder-restore-felons-voting-rights-183101.html?hp=r1

By JOSH GERSTEIN |
2/11/14 9:31 AM EST

People convicted of felonies should not forever lose their right to vote, according to Attorney General Eric Holder.

In remarks prepared for delivery at a criminal justice conference Tuesday, Holder takes aim at state laws which strip voting rights from those convicted of serious crimes.

"It is time to fundamentally rethink laws that permanently disenfranchise people who are no longer under federal or state supervision," Holder is to tell the Leadership Council on Civil and Human Rights Criminal Justice Forum at Georgetown law school. "These restrictions are not only unnecessary and unjust, they are also counterproductive.  By perpetuating the stigma and isolation imposed on formerly incarcerated individuals, these laws increase the likelihood they will commit future crimes."

Holder also plans to note that felon-disenfranchisement laws ban almost one in 13 African Americans from voting and, in states like Florida, Kentucky and Virginia, as many as one in five black adults have been stripped of voting rights. The attorney general argues that these measures are relics of a bygone era.

"However well-intentioned current advocates of felony disenfranchisement may be – the reality is that these measures are, at best, profoundly outdated," Holder is to say. "At worst, these laws, with their disparate impact on minority communities, echo policies enacted during a deeply troubled period in America’s past – a time of post-Civil War discrimination.  And they have their roots in centuries-old conceptions of justice that were too often based on exclusion, animus, and fear."

Holder has been stepping up his public advocacy on various issues in recent months, including reform to the criminal justice system. He's pressing to rein in the use of mandatory minimum sentences, particularly for drug crime, and is encouraging some federal inmates to apply for presidential commutations. Such actions would surely have caused a stir during the tough-on-crime 1990s, Holder's recent moves have encountered little public or political resistance. In fact, some Republicans are supporting shorter sentences for some offenders—in part due to huge prison costs federal and state governments are incurring.

Holder's speech Tuesday is also expected to include an unusual shout-out for a former Republican official now getting up up-close-and-personal experience with the criminal justice system thanks to prosecutors working for Holder: former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.

"Just last year, former Governor McDonnell adopted a policy that began to automatically restore the voting rights of former prisoners with non-violent felony convictions," the attorney general's prepared remarks say. "I applaud those who have already shown leadership in raising awareness and helping to address this issue."

McDonnell and his wife Maureen were indicted in federal court in Richmond last month on fraud and corruption charges stemming from their relationship with a wealthy Virginia businessman. The McDonnells pled not guilty to their charges and are free pending trial.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: Holder: Restore felons' voting rights
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
Holder is merely trying to expand the democrat voting base. No wonder we are in such a mess.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:20:21 pm »
Holder is merely trying to expand the democrat voting base. No wonder we are in such a mess.

How many of these felons are the Baby Daddies for current Obama voters??

:smokin:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »

BINGO!!!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:02:44 pm »
"Holder also plans to note that felon-disenfranchisement laws ban almost one in 13 African Americans from voting and, in states like Florida, Kentucky and Virginia, as many as one in five black adults have been stripped of voting rights."

Well, I'm not the one that "stripped" them from their voting rights!  They might have had a little something to do with it.   :nometalk:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 06:08:55 pm »
"Holder also plans to note that felon-disenfranchisement laws ban almost one in 13 African Americans from voting and, in states like Florida, Kentucky and Virginia, as many as one in five black adults have been stripped of voting rights."

Well, I'm not the one that "stripped" them from their voting rights!  They might have had a little something to do with it.   :nometalk:

They do their time - completely - then why shouldn't they vote? Though I would ban felons from any form of government assistance for a period after release. Consider it part of the sentence.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Olivia

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
They do their time - completely - then why shouldn't they vote? Though I would ban felons from any form of government assistance for a period after release. Consider it part of the sentence.

Consider it part of the punishment.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

Though they served their time, they don't necessarily serve their sentence. Most are on parole and/or owe debts to their victims.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:23:40 pm »
Though they served their time, they don't necessarily serve their sentence. Most are on parole and/or owe debts to their victims.

Once parole is over and all debts paid - I consider that part of the sentence - then they get their duties restored.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:50 pm »

It is pathetic.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?