Author Topic: Kentucky Senate race 2014: Matt Bevin, Mitch McConnell and TARP (Bevin backed TARP)  (Read 889 times)

Offline sinkspur

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:56:05 AM by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
Matt Bevin, Mitch McConnell and TARP (Bevin backed TARP)

No he didn't Karl!

Stop lying!

Offline sinkspur

Offline alicewonders

Offline alicewonders

I repeat what I said in an above post:

"This is ironic considering that McConnell actually voted for TARP."

Offline sinkspur

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
If I was a superstar professional athlete, I might think superstars are overpaid, but I'd be an idiot not to take whatever money was due me based on my profession.  The same applies here. 

Bevin the businessman did what was in Bevin's own self-interest.  That was what he is SUPPOSED to do.  People who are in business are there to compete and make money.  They don't make, and they may or may not like, the rules.  If they are law-abiding, they play according to the rules and regulations as they find them.  It is not just in their interest, but it is imperative, that they capitalize on whatever opportunities exist in the marketplace as they find it.  If Bevin did not take advantage of government largess, then his competitors would have, and he'd have been at a disadvantage.  It was not Bevin's fault that he was operating in a corrupt system.  It was his duty to exploit it to whatever degree possible.

Would it be hypocritical for Bevin to want to reform the tax code after having taken advantage of loopholes?  In my mind, certainly not.  In fact, I said at the time that the attacks on Romney for his Cayman accounts were ridiculous, for much the same reason.  I also seem to recall that Sinkspur agreed with this position when the culprit was a candidate he supported.

I would expect that Bevin the senator would operate in a professional fashion, understanding that his obligation as a lawmaker would be to reduce or eliminate the corruption in the system so that the playing field is level for everyone.  Having successfully exploited the system as a businessperson, I consider him eminently qualified to know something about how to clean it up.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:57:12 AM by massadvj »
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If I was a superstar professional athlete, I might think superstars are overpaid, but I'd be an idiot not to take whatever money was due me based on my profession.  The same applies here. 

Bevin the businessman did what was in Bevin's own self-interest.  That was what he is SUPPOSED to do.  People who are in business are there to compete and make money.  They don't make, and they may or may not like, the rules.  If they are law-abiding, they play according to the rules and regulations as they find them.  It is not just in their interest, but it is imperative, that they capitalize on whatever opportunities exist in the marketplace as they find it.  If Bevin did not take advantage of government largess, then his competitors would have, and he'd have been at a disadvantage.  It was not Bevin's fault that he was operating in a corrupt system.  It was his duty to exploit it to whatever degree possible.

I would expect that Bevin the senator would operate in a similar professional fashion, understanding that his obligation as a lawmaker would be to reduce or eliminate the corruption in the system so that the playing field is level for everyone.  Having successfully exploited the system as a businessperson, I consider him eminently qualified to know something about how to clean it up.

:beer:

Offline sinkspur

If Bevin did not take advantage of government largess, then his competitors would have, and he'd have been at a disadvantage.  It was not Bevin's fault that he was operating in a corrupt system.  It was his duty to exploit it to whatever degree possible.

You make my case for me.  Bevins is trying to weasel out of his support for TARP when he should simply acknowledge that it was the best thing for his clients.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
If Bevin did not take advantage of government largess, then his competitors would have, and he'd have been at a disadvantage.  It was not Bevin's fault that he was operating in a corrupt system.  It was his duty to exploit it to whatever degree possible.

You make my case for me.  Bevins is trying to weasel out of his support for TARP when he should simply acknowledge that it was the best thing for his clients.

Politics is what it is.  I judge politicians based on what they do, not what they say.  I do not take issue with what Bevins did.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline sinkspur

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
President of investment company didn't read the letters he signed?

Sounds like Pelosi could do business with this guy. "We got to pass it, to see what is in it."

Got opposition research? Too bad the Tea Parties don't do a better job of vetting their candidates, before they get to the big show.

Offline Rapunzel

President of investment company didn't read the letters he signed?

Sounds like Pelosi could do business with this guy. "We got to pass it, to see what is in it."

Got opposition research? Too bad the Tea Parties don't do a better job of vetting their candidates, before they get to the big show.

He didn't sign off on the wording in the letter  He could not change the letter - it would have been illegal for him to do so since he was not the person managing the fund, the person preparing the letter was one of the managers of the fund. What he had to sign off on - under Sarbanes Oxley was the veracity of the financial figures quoted in the letter.  This was his fiscal responsibility.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf