Author Topic: Dr. Ben Carson Blasts 'Gestapo' IRS Tactics  (Read 849 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dr. Ben Carson Blasts 'Gestapo' IRS Tactics
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=552027

Newsmax
Dr. Ben Carson Blasts 'Gestapo' IRS Tactics
Monday, February 10, 2014 06:57 PM

By: David A. Patten

Dr. Benjamin Carson, the former director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital who is considered a possible GOP contender for the 2016 GOP nomination, told Newsmax TV on Monday that he and his family have been personally targeted by the IRS in retribution for his frank critique of President Obama’s policies at the February 2013 National Prayer Breakfast.

Carson said audits and other harassment began in May or June of 2013 and gradually expanded to include family members, associates, and his charitable endeavors.

"I’ve been quite I would say astonished at the level of hostility that I have encountered," Carson said in an exclusive interview with host John Bachman on "America’s Forum" on Newsmax TV.

"The IRS has investigated me. They said, ‘I want to look at your real estate holdings.’ There was nothing there. ‘Well, let’s expand to an entire [year], everything.’ There was nothing there. ‘Let’s do another year.’ Finally, after a few months, they went away. But they’ve come after my family, they’ve come after my friends, they’ve come after associates."

Carson received the presidential Medal of Freedom from former President George W. Bush in 2008. Previously, he has stated that he was audited by the IRS under unusual circumstances but has shied away from drawing a direct link between his opposition to the president’s policies and the IRS audits.

"You know," Carson told Newsmax TV, "we live in a Gestapo age, people don’t realize it. But what I say is the Congress has to, at some point, step up to the plate. The reason we have divided government is if one branch of the government gets out of control, starts thinking they’re too big for their britches, you need to be able to have control."

Carson said the audits, which began a few months after his remarks at the National Prayer Breakfast, marked the first time he had been audited in his life.

He also said a charitable organization that aids inmates’ children was informed last year, for the first time in recent years, that they would no longer be receiving a $1 million annual grant from the Justice Department.

"This is solely because you were involved?" Bachman asked.

"Correct," Carson replied, adding: "…They’ve come after my children in terms of their employment and things like this."

Carson declined to elaborate specifically on how his family had been affected.

"It is very disturbing," he said. "I don’t really want to go into the details too much, because I don’t want them to further go after these organizations, charities, children etc.

"Because the problem right now is we as a society are just letting them do this. We sit there and we say, ‘Oh this is horrible.’ But we don’t do anything. And see, that’s what I’m trying to get our congressional people, our lawmakers – they’ve got to get courage. Because why would anybody who has an agenda to fundamentally change this nation, why would they stop if no one is opposing them?"

Pressed as to whether he feels he and his family were targeted out of retribution, Carson replied: "And probably will continue to do so. And this is what we have to stop.

"We cannot allow it," he continued. "The only reason that I haven’t shut up is because in Romans 8 it says ‘If God be for you, who can be against you?’ And I believe in that protection that God gives you."

Carson’s interview comes in the context of explosive testimony on Capitol Hill last week. It included charges by GOP super lawyer Cleta Mitchell that the IRS targeting — which singled out groups whose names contained words like "tea party" and "patriot," and sidetracked their applications for intensive review — continues against conservative organizations.

The conservative American Center for Law and Justice is pursuing a lawsuit on behalf of 41 grass-roots plaintiffs who were affected. ACLJ officials tell Newsmax many of those groups still have not received a ruling from the IRS on applications that date back as far as December of 2009.

Late last year, the IRS unveiled proposed new rules that would substantially limit the activities that "social welfare" organizations, such as those regulated by section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue code, would be permitted to engage in. Those regulations may be adopted later this year, and conservatives feel they add insult to injury by further limiting their activities.

Mitchell told Newsmax on Monday afternoon that Carson’s experience of suddenly being audited after taking a more active role in conservative politics sounds similar to the complaints of targeting that she’s received from many other conservatives. She called Carson’s experience "pretty scary."

"I have heard this same story over and over and over throughout the last year … as I’ve traveled and spoken all across the country," she says.

"I cannot tell you how many donors to conservative organizations, people who have become active, have said ‘I was never audited until I started giving money to X conservative candidate or cause.’"

She tells Newsmax the targeting includes Romney donors, Perry donors, and donors to conservative issue groups.

Mitchell says Carson’s experience "is not that different from what many others are experiencing. It’s quite, quite troublesome and disturbing."

Until recently Mitchell had resisted calls for Congress to request a special prosecutor, because the investigator would be designated by Attorney General Eric Holder, who himself has been at the center of several controversies involving the administration.

But Mitchell tells Newsmax she has changed her mind since learning Holder had appointed DOJ trial attorney Barbara Bosserman, who has donated over $6,700 to President Obama’s election campaigns and to the Democratic National Committee in recent years, to head the DOJ’s investigation into the handling of conservative organizations’ applications for non-profit status.

"The problem is the IRS is being allowed to just stonewall the investigation [of] the targeting of conservative groups," said Mitchell, who represents several grass-roots conservative organizations that have been affected.

She added: "It’s pretty scary because the people who are supposed to be the neutral arbiter and law enforcement officials appear to me to be completely in the bag for the administration.

"And the IRS appears to me to be doing exactly what Dr. Carson has said is happening. I think he’s exactly right. I hate to say it, but I agree with him. I’ve had too many people across the country say the same things to me. It’s just not possible that it is a coincidence. It’s not statistically possible.

"Suffice to say that I think that what Dr. Carson is describing is an experience that … far too many other Americans have had in the last four years," she said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Dr. Ben Carson Blasts 'Gestapo' IRS Tactics
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »
It is horrific that Dr. Carson was suddenly attacked via the IRS! Also: notice he was NOT invited back to the National Prayer Breakfast (that Obama would not show up for in attendance his first year) but his handlers advised him obviously differently- since. Remember Obama said, separation of Church and State, regarding the prayer breakfast in the White House? In the same time-frame he also ordered- no more 50 year history of military jets flying over a "God and Country" event?

The MSM just about had strokes a few months ago because they thought Dr. Ben Carson initiated running for President

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/01/21/chris_christie_falls_ben_carson_rises.html.

If you study the news cycle they flipped-out ,started to bash Carson, then realized a separate organization that is asking Carson to run put up this billboard.

Dr. Ben Carson should run. Obama's bully tactics of sicking the IRS on him would have to END if he ran for President.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:15:38 pm »
Why is it perfectly okay for organizers to get funding to BEG Hillary to run? But the same is done for Carson and he gets slam dunked.

What would Hillary do if she was audited? What would Hillary do if the KKK showed up at voting places with clubs intimidating voters?

Only the NEW Black Panthers can do whatever they want according to Obama and Holder.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Relic

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »
Newsmax. So that means only the choir will hear this message.

Until/unless things like this are taken up as a crusade by the GOP, we'll get more of the same. It will require guts, because the communist media will attack with zeal. Anyone taking up such a mission will have to be steadfast, and willing to challenge the palace guard media at every turn.

Look, it's really come to the point where the media is the enemy. It's not conspiracy, it's not tin foil hat stuff. The media is powerful, and evil.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
Newsmax. So that means only the choir will hear this message.

Until/unless things like this are taken up as a crusade by the GOP, we'll get more of the same. It will require guts, because the communist media will attack with zeal. Anyone taking up such a mission will have to be steadfast, and willing to challenge the palace guard media at every turn.

Look, it's really come to the point where the media is the enemy. It's not conspiracy, it's not tin foil hat stuff. The media is powerful, and evil.

yep, and what is desperately needed is some real leadership at the top of the GOP.  The mantra "Reince, Fail, Repeat" has gone on long enough.  We need someone with brass balls running the Republican Party, who isn't afraid to stand up and voice real Conservative principles. 

I'd love to see someone like Jim DeMint over at the Heritage Foundation take the helm of the GOP, and come out swinging.  Someone needs to step into a real leadership position and start leading. 

Now.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:49:34 pm »
We will never again be a truly free people for so long as we continue to abide the Marxist income tax and the IRS!

http://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »
I knew I heard this story before.... back when it originally happened. If Carson runs for President this story will be in the MSM like bridgegate.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-carson-on-fox-news-irs-oreilly-20131002,0,7068292.story

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »

I'd love to see someone like Jim DeMint over at the Heritage Foundation take the helm of the GOP, and come out swinging.  Someone needs to step into a real leadership position and start leading. 

Now.

I'd love that.......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:15 am »
Quote from article:
"The reason we have divided government is if one branch of the government gets out of control, starts thinking they’re too big for their britches, you need to be able to have control."

We have a divided government because we have a divided nation.
That the elected representatives in government are "divided" is a reflection of their electorate.

The country is literally on the verge of splitting apart, into perhaps more than just two pieces.

The left moves ever further leftward while the right fights to stay in place. And the gap between them is widening into a chasm.

The "great divide" is philosophical, cultural, and racial. No way to get around this reality.

Reconciliation is becoming a more and more remote eventuality.
What will happen in its place? Unless there is open resistance by the right, eventually the right must submit to the left and the ever-moving "progressives".

One cannot help but admire Dr. Carson. However, he shouldn't be considered as a "possible presidential candidate" until has at least proven his worth in some other elected position, or in a highly-placed government appointment.

After all, he didn't don the surgeon's gown until he had worked his way up to it. Same goes for politickin'...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:51:03 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:33 am »
One cannot help but admire Dr. Carson. However, he shouldn't be considered as a "possible presidential candidate" until has at least proven his worth in some other elected position, or in a highly-placed government appointment.

After all, he didn't don the surgeon's gown until he had worked his way up to it. Same goes for politickin'...

Exactly!! I admire Dr. Carson immensely, and enjoy reading his thoughts as much as I enjoy reading Dr. Sowell. But please - with the mess the country is in, it's no time to put an amateur in the drivers seat.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 01:11:06 pm »
There are such bleep in the Conservative movement these days.  What is going on is nothing to what the people lived under in the Soviet Union, East Germany, Nazism, etc..  They want comfort with their politics.  Toss away the comfort, the franchise opportunities, the "McMansion", the vacation on the beach and get back to me.
List them Dr. Carson.  State what they are doing to your family and friends.  You've got Fox's ear now speak!  Stop the p ussyfooting around and get into specifics.  He's high profile.
I don't doubt a word he says but the love of Christ USE your soapbox!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:11:33 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 04:23:14 pm »
There are such bleep in the Conservative movement these days.  What is going on is nothing to what the people lived under in the Soviet Union, East Germany, Nazism, etc..  They want comfort with their politics.  Toss away the comfort, the franchise opportunities, the "McMansion", the vacation on the beach and get back to me.
List them Dr. Carson.  State what they are doing to your family and friends.  You've got Fox's ear now speak!  Stop the p ussyfooting around and get into specifics.  He's high profile.
I don't doubt a word he says but the love of Christ USE your soapbox!

I agree he needs to grab a microphone at CNN.

West needs to speak out more as well but he is another black man no one will support because the media says he is a nut.

Screw the media.

Let Carson or West rise to the occasion. Somebody needs to.