Author Topic: Former Child Star Shirley Temple Dies Aged 85  (Read 570 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Former Child Star Shirley Temple Dies Aged 85
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hollywood-legend-shirley-temple-dead-at-85/

Obit from CBS.

I never really liked her movies, meself. I dislike over sweet things.  :whistle:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »
I feel so old.......

Rest....

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
Not only a fine young actress, but a fine diplomat and conservative as well.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
Not only a fine young actress, but a fine diplomat and conservative as well.

Which means the media will largely ignore her death altogether and her diplomatic work in particular.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Online aligncare

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Which means the media will largely ignore her death altogether and her diplomatic work in particular.

Yep.  That was the same with Bob Hope when he passed.   I really was expecting a huge day for the media going over his life, his movies, his service to the community and USO shows for the soldiers. Yet his passing was just a tail end story at the end of the new broadcast and that was about it.   And you know it was because of him being a Republican.   Far less important and forgettable actors from more recent generations have passed with far more notice.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »

The focus will be on her child acting career only.  We can expect a Shirley Temple movie marathon on a number of stations as everyone breaks out the innumerable copies of her on DVD.  Other than that, I think you nailed it.  The media in general simply will not even mention any of her adult accomplishments, although Fox will probably come out with an hour-long documentary.  I also think most Americans today are completely unfamiliar with her, and a lot of people are surprised today because they thought she died years ago....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
The people of Ghana will give her a good memorial. She was very well loved there.

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
The focus will be on her child acting career only.  We can expect a Shirley Temple movie marathon on a number of stations as everyone breaks out the innumerable copies of her on DVD. 
Not until they show all those Philip Seymour Hoffman films first ...
“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »
TCM usually does not disappoint when it comes to passing star tributes. Expect to see a number of her films be added to the line-up. Too bad her film career did not blossom as she got older. She turned into a very beautiful young lady but much of her fan base preferred not to notice the little girl with curls and dimples was growing up and dating, and to a large degree growing into the  sweater girl image than adorned every soldiers barracks and airplane nose art. Not Shirley. Not their little girl. No way will they allow that to happen. So after a few teenage Shirley movies none of which were highly successful, she left the industry, or it left her. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

She got a lot of people through the depression - and is one of the few child stars who didn't go off the rails.  RIP, Shirley.

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
Mr. M and I were just watching the NBC News report on Mrs. Black's death and he observed that in 1935 Shirley Temple was the biggest child star, compared to what we have today: Honey Boo-Boo.   :thud:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
Mr. M and I were just watching the NBC News report on Mrs. Black's death and he observed that in 1935 Shirley Temple was the biggest child star, compared to what we have today: Honey Boo-Boo.   :thud:

Wonderful example of just how far our society has fallen... and if you really want to get sick check out Hollywood Hillbillies on ReelZ.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
She got a lot of people through the depression - and is one of the few child stars who didn't go off the rails.  RIP, Shirley.

Yep.

She was one of a kind.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »

Online mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
As I said, NBC had a nice package on her death, but you're right, Navy - much more attention is paid to the various Hollywood druggies who snort or ingest themselves to death, e.g., Hoffman, Ledger, Michael Jackson, than performers who actually improved their world.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf