Author Topic: Olympics Coverage and Articles  (Read 10429 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Olympics Coverage and Articles
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:17 pm »
I don’t know if I’m working too hard, or have been watching too much Olympics, or maybe both – but I had a dream last night I put my shop to work building a bobsled for team USA.  Woke up just as the ugly skinless,  frame-only contraption was taking off down the run.   
Good God,  if I’m going to have a dream about the Olympics, can’t it include Austrian alpine ski racer Anna Fenninger?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »
I don’t know if I’m working too hard, or have been watching too much Olympics, or maybe both – but I had a dream last night I put my shop to work building a bobsled for team USA.  Woke up just as the ugly skinless,  frame-only contraption was taking off down the run.   
Good God,  if I’m going to have a dream about the Olympics, can’t it include Austrian alpine ski racer Anna Fenninger?

:silly:
 :silly:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »

Think curling, but the Russian girls are already out. **nononono*

Canada took out our girls in hockey today.  3-2 in OT.  We were up 2-0 and let them come back and tie with two goals in the 3rd period.  US almost clinched it with an open netter that bounced off the post.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »
The bobsleds used by the US team were designed by BMW, using high tech materials.

(I wonder if the team turned to BMW after requests to GM, Ford and Chrysler were declined?)

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/explore/sports/olympics/default.aspx?source=bmw11olynbc&origin=bmw11olynbc

and

http://designworksusa.com/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2014, 11:13:09 pm »
People living in Southern California (2nd largest megalopolis) can be in mountains for skiing in 1 to 2 hours max. People living in Phoenix can be in Flagstaff in 2.5 hours. People in the SF Bay area say 3 to 4 hours.

From Texas to Florida, plus Hawaii seems like the only regions where snow skiing is out of easy reach.

Indoor winter sports can and are done everywhere, all year.

Equally important would be that Olympic caliber competitors often go to training centers--both during winters and off season, when nobody in the US lives next to a snowy locale.

I wonder what percentage of the athletes on the US Winter Olympic team actually originate from the warm climates?   The skiiers?  The hockey players?  The Snowboarders?  The luge folks?   The skaters?   The curlers, even?

Somehow I would feel safe wagering... very few. :thud:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2014, 12:32:04 am »
Our gold and silver snowboarders were from Salt Lake and Telluride, one of our better female boarders from Lake Tahoe.  Bodie Miller from New Hampshire (family has 160 acres there) and he has lived in San Diego and now Orange County.....

A lot of the really serious winter games contestants pretty much follow the seasons between the USA and South America
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:49 am »
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-balan/2014/02/19/nbc-23-year-old-olympic-freestyle-skier-wife-kid-living-alternative-l

NBC: 23-Year-Old Olympic Freestyle Skier With Wife, Kid Living 'Alternative Lifestyle'

By Matthew Balan | February 19, 2014 | 16:10

NBC can't seem to keep its left-leaning slant out of its coverage of the Winter Olympics. One day after playing up Stalin's "palace for the people" in Moscow's metro system, the Big Three network's spotlighted how an American freestyle skier is living an "alternative lifestyle" – for being married at 23 and having a young daughter.

Correspondent Skyler Wilder underlined how David Wise, who won the gold medal in the half pipe on Tuesday, is "mature far beyond his years....At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult. He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house." Twenty-three is "such a young age?" Perhaps the network is following ObamaCare's definition of "children", which includes those aged 18 to 26.

Wilder used his "mature" label of Wise three times in first four sentences of his article on the skier, "David Wise's alternative lifestyle leads to Olympic gold:"

"Hey, Nayeli," he said peering into the camera. "Daddy loves you!"

Those were the words of David Wise, the freestyle skiing halfpipe gold medalist Tuesday night after he won his event's first-ever Olympic medal.

David Wise is at the top of his sport. He's always smiling among his friends and competitors, however, he's not like the rest of the field. He is mature.

Not to say the rest of the freestyle skiers of halfpipe are not mature, but Wise is mature far beyond his years. At only twenty-three years old, he has a wife, Alexander (sic), who was waiting patiently in the crowd, and together they have a two-year-old daughter waiting for them to return to their home in Reno, Nevada.

The NBC sports writer continued with his "lifestyle of an adult" description of Wise, and added that "he [Wise] also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road. Not exactly the picture you had in mind while watching him nail two double corks wearing baggy pants."

Despite his post-modern language in the beginning, Wilder painted a very positive picture of Wise during the remainder of his piece:

...Wise is, well, wise. He knows where his head should be at all time, focused on being the best father and husband he can be. Then comes skiing.

"I think my lifestyle — the fact that I have a little girl to take care of and a wife — really takes the pressure off of my skiing, because first and foremost I have to be a good husband and father."

...While the rest of his competitors are hanging with their friends, traveling the world searching for endless winter, hitting the party scenes accustom to their action sports lifestyles, Wise is hurrying home for quality time with the family. That is what sets his mental game apart from his competition. He likely has the most stable life of them all....

Well, now that the gold is in the bag and Team USA can add another one to their overall medal count...Wise can get back to his other life, and back to the Baby Bjorn.

On Wednesday, Mollie Hemingway at The Federalist website called out NBC for its characterization of the Olympic skiier: "sn't it fascinating that NBC views a man taking care of his wife and daughter as an alternative lifestyle? I'm glad David Wise won gold, but if this is any indication of media views on normalcy, our society is pretty much doomed."

By contrast, the Bleacher Report website on Tuesday heralded how Wise "busts freestyle skiing stereotypes," and noted that "Wise is a husband and father of a young daughter, Nayeli. He is a devout Christian who met his wife Lexi at a youth church camp and has said in many interviews that it is his faith and family that motivate him."

Columnist Joe Menzer also pointed out that "he [Wise] enjoys many of the same things his fellow competitors do—like driving fast, performing outlandish tricks in the halfpipe or just joking around...but being a husband and a father has also kept him grounded and brought about a maturity that forces him to take seriously the things which are meant to be taken seriously."

[H/t: Mollie Hemingway on Twitter]

Offline LambChop

« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2014, 04:43:17 am »
Oh Canada! US women's hockey team suffer heartbreaking defeat in overtime gold medal game

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2564154/US-Womens-hockey-team-taken-overtime-Canada.html#ixzz2tvcqjr8B

We were THIS close. 8888crybaby

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »
By contrast, the Bleacher Report website on Tuesday heralded how Wise "busts freestyle skiing stereotypes," and noted that "Wise is a husband and father of a young daughter, Nayeli. He is a devout Christian who met his wife Lexi at a youth church camp and has said in many interviews that it is his faith and family that motivate him."
Don't know whether "alternative" is the right word, but - sadly for this young man's generation - "atypical" might be.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:39 pm »
I wonder what percentage of the athletes on the US Winter Olympic team actually originate from the warm climates?   The skiiers?  The hockey players?  The Snowboarders?  The luge folks?   The skaters?   The curlers, even?

Somehow I would feel safe wagering... very few. :thud:

Don't have a clue on that, but did you know there are more minor league hockey teams in Texas than there are in Canada?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
Don't have a clue on that, but did you know there are more minor league hockey teams in Texas than there are in Canada?

I'm a big fan of the Warren Miller Ski films and have been attending the Seattle premiers of these fun and trilling films for years - even back in the days when Warren would narrate them in person himself.   One thing I noted about the champion level skiers and snowboarders in those films is that many of them hit the slopes 200 and even  300 days a year.    That is how you get that good.   And to be able to do that you pretty much have to live within a close drive to the mountains.  And if the lifts are closed you are helo-skiing.  Which here in the Northwest, Colorado, and California you can do all year.   Some also spend their summer months   in the southern hemisphere skiing South America, and even New Zealand.     
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:32:01 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
I'm a big fan of the Warren Miller Ski films and have been attending the Seattle premiers of these fun and trilling films for years - even back in the days when Warren would narrate them in person himself.   One thing I noted about the champion level skiers and snowboarders in those films is that many of them hit the slopes 200 and even  300 days a year.    That is how you get that good.   And to be able to do that you pretty much have to live within a close drive to the mountains.  And if the lifts are closed you are helo-skiing.  Which here in the Northwest, Colorado, and California you can do all year.   Some also spend their summer months   in the southern hemisphere skiing South America, and even New Zealand.     

We ski on water and surf on waves here, no mountains and no snow. LOL

Canada beat US in men's semi-final hockey today 1-0.  US now goes for the bronze, Canada for the gold.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:04 pm »

I have a feeling we would have been friends ~LOL~ George and I used to attend the Warren Miller Ski films every single year - it was always an event to find where it was showing and go see it - many times with our friends from the ski club. 

BTW I remember there was a few years you could ski up at Mammoth right until the 4th of July.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »
We ski on water and surf on waves here, no mountains and no snow. LOL

Canada beat US in men's semi-final hockey today 1-0.  US now goes for the bronze, Canada for the gold.

That sucks that the men's hockey team lost to Canada, especially since some Canadian D.J.'s mocked up on the radio for beating us.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

Not surprising.  There are a lot more venues for them here than there are in Canada.   That being said, I'll still wager that most of the League's players originated in the cold climates.

Now, on to figure skating!  The Olympic figure skating Gala is being shown on coverage tonight, and Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski are hosting it.  :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
That's only because they count "junior hockey" teams separately.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2014, 08:47:29 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/canada-3-sled-crashes-in-4-man-bobsled-at-olympics1-022214

Canada-3 sled crashes in four-man bobsled run

FEB 22, 2014 1:51p ET
John David Mercer / USA TODAY Sports

Canada-3 piloted by Justin Kripps and teammates Jesse Lumsden, Cosy Sorensen and Ben Coakwell on their second run in the 4-man bobsled.
file

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia -- One of Canada's three bobsleds has crashed during the second run of the Olympic four-man competition.

Driver Justin Kripps, with three new brakemen in his sled, flipped on one of the curves on the Sanki Sliding Center track Saturday. The bobsled slid through several turns on its side with the team member's helmeted heads digging scarily into the ice. All four were checked by medical personnel as they climbed out of the sled, and none of the men appeared to be injured as they walked up the hill to the finish area.

On Saturday, Canada's coaches pulled brakemen Jesse Lumsden, Cody Sorensen and Ben Coakwell from Canada-1 with driver Chris Spring and put them with Kripps, who had better training times.

Canada-3 was in eighth place after the first run.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/fla-center-treating-paralyzed-olympic-skier2-020714

Florida center treating paralyzed Brazilian Olympic skier

FEB 07, 2014 5:14p ET
Vladimir Rys / Bongarts

Lais Souza of Brazil shown here competing in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China. 
file

MIAMI -- A Brazilian Olympic freestyle skier who was on her way to competing at the Sochi Winter Games when she was paralyzed while training in Utah remained in critical condition at a Florida hospital that specializes in spinal injuries, her doctors said Friday.

''Right now she's fighting for her life,'' said Dr. Antonio Marttos, a trauma surgeon at the University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Lais Souza, 25, was injured while preparing to compete as a skier at the Sochi Winter Games. Dr. Marttos had been involved in her care since the accident on Jan. 27 and was sent by the Brazilian Olympic committee to Salt Lake City to assist in her car.

''Mentally she's strong,'' he said of Souza, who was also described as always smiling and ''cheering up'' the staff at the hospital.

Souza remained in an intensive care unit at the Miami hospital and is eating and breathing with the help of machines, but her doctors said she was ''starting to breathe by herself without the machine.'' They were optimistic that her condition will be downgraded to serious over the coming days and that she will be able to breathe without a machine.

''This is the first big step for her,'' Dr. Marttos said. ''So if she can have this happen, be able to live without the machine to breathe, it can be something huge for her life and her quality of life in the future.''

The ex-Olympic gymnast injured her spine while preparing to compete as a skier at Sochi. Souza was at the University of Utah hospital since hitting a tree while skiing recreationally. Her spinal cord was not severed, but her doctors said the accident left her unable to move her legs and arms.

Souza participated in the 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics as a gymnast before switching to the winter sport. Another Brazilian skier is scheduled to take Souza's place at the Olympics.

Her level of fitness and health will contribute to her recovery, doctors said.

''Someone with the same injury... has a 90 percent chance of being dead or dying within the first couple weeks,'' said Dr. Barth Green, a neurosurgeon who co-founded The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis at the University of Miami which is one of the largest research centers in the country to help treat her type of injury. ''So the fact that she's young and lean and mean and strong is a wonderful prognosis sign because she exceeds what the norm is and she'll show us the same stuff in rehab I'm sure.''

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »

Injured skier Komissarova airlifted after spinal surgery

Russian freestyle federation

Maria Komissarova been transported to Germany after undergoing surgery for her fractured spine.

SOCHI, Russia -- Olympic skicross racer Maria Komissarova has been airlifted to Germany for further treatment after surgery on her fractured spine, the Russian freestyle ski federation said Sunday.

The 23-year-old Komissarova crashed during a training run Saturday, fracturing the 12th dorsal vertebrae in her lower-middle back, and underwent emergency surgery lasting 6 hours.

"Masha Komissarova was rendered all necessary medical care at this stage by Russian doctors," the federation said in a statement. "By the decision of her relatives, she is being sent for further treatment to a clinic in Munich, Germany, specializing in the treatment of this kind of injury."

A team of specialists inserted a metal implant in Komissarova's spine in a successful operation, the federation said, though they declined to discuss the skier's prognosis.

R-Sport quoted Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko as saying Komissarova would have another operation and rehabilitation in Munich, adding "We are trying to make everything OK."

Komissarova was listed as being in a "grave but stable" earlier Sunday, on a day when two women's snowboardcross riders were carried off on stretchers after bad falls.

The IOC said it had no concerns over the course conditions and maintained that there have been no more crashes and injuries than in previous Winter Games.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2014, 02:12:00 am »
That sucks that the men's hockey team lost to Canada, especially since some Canadian D.J.'s mocked up on the radio for beating us.

And then we got dusted in the bronze game by Finland!  Really dusted.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2014, 02:38:20 am »
And then we got dusted in the bronze game by Finland!  Really dusted.

Wait till you see what the Russians do to the Ukrainians.....

OOPS!  Wrong thread....

:smokin:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2014, 03:20:14 pm »
Wait till you see what the Russians do to the Ukrainians.....

OOPS!  Wrong thread....

:smokin:

LOL, not really.  Their Olympic team said they didn't want to go home because they wanted to see their flag raised in Sochi.  Yeah right.