Author Topic: Hazards, the Dukes Thereof  (Read 472 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Silence is Golden. Boredom is even better.
Hazards, the Dukes Thereof
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Prepping is all about balance. Despite what the TV, magazines and some of the more extreme members of the community seem to tell you, the key to good prepping is harmony. It's a very Zen concept that can be boiled down into three wise words.

"Know thy enemy."

Thy enemy is invariably Mother Nature. People may be negotiated with or disposed of quietly, but she is without pity.
Recently, the enemy has been snow and cold in the USA. Gales and excessive rain in the UK. Oven levels of heat in Australia. All things which a few basic preps leave you snug, well fed and comfortable during the worst of it. How to judge, though? An inch of snow in Alabama is a catastrophe. The same inch of snow in Maine is a Tuesday.

Start by planning for the most likely scenarios in the region you are in. Live in Tornado Alley? Your preps are going to be wildly different to someone who lives in an earthquake zone, where the idea of a storm cellar is basically "TRAP!!!" Know your locale is the guiding light.

Have alternates for everything. The rule of three applies here: You can last 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Note - I said last, not enjoy. The oxygen bit we can skip, unless you are in a flood zone. No one is going to steal the air any time soon. If you are in a flood zone - move, right now, and don't be dumb enough to buy on a flood plain again unless the house comes with an ark. None of us are made of money - we need to plan for likely events first.

Before you bitch about the youth of today ... think about who raised them.

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo