Author Topic: Slate: 'your marriage is probably making inequality worse'  (Read 558 times)

rangerrebew

Slate: 'your marriage is probably making inequality worse'
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:45 pm »
Slate: 'Your Marriage is Probably Making Inequality Worse'

Inequality is a "side effect" of marriage.

In an article at Slate.com, a picture shows a "just married" couple happily waving to their guests from the back seat of a car as they drive off to begin their lives together. The caption reads, "Doing their part to increase inequality."

Writing for Slate, Matthew Yalesias is declaring that marriage is making America more unequal. Pointing to a report on "assortative mating," or the marrying of people with similar characteristics, he is able to "show" the "25 percent gap" that exists among the income of husbands and wives.

The report states:

f matching in 2005 between husbands and wives had been random, instead of the pattern observed in the data, then the Gini coefficient would have fallen from the observed 0.43 to 0.34, so that income inequality would be smaller. Thus, assortative mating is important for income inequality.

Yalesias concludes that rather than succumbing to the stress from various conspiracies surrounding the rise in income inequality, learning that "assortative mating" is partly to blame should "set minds at ease."

So, relax, inequality is just a "side effect" of marriage.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/slate-your-marriage-probably-making-inequality-worse
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:04:34 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Slate: 'your marriage is probably making inequality worse'
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:44 pm »
I'm so sick of this crap... gays make up less than 10% of the population and all we hear day in and day out is gay this and gay that - just as I never used to have issues with blacks until they started pushing racism all the time I also didn't have issues with gays, now they both piss me off.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 11:11:59 pm »
They're less than 2% of the population.  They just scream the loudest.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:40 pm »
I'm so sick of this crap... gays make up less than 10% of the population and all we hear day in and day out is gay this and gay that - just as I never used to have issues with blacks until they started pushing racism all the time I also didn't have issues with gays, now they both piss me off.

I hear ya'. It's all political agenda.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:10 pm »
Writing for Slate, Matthew Yalesias is declaring that marriage is making America more unequal. Pointing to a report on "assortative mating," or the marrying of people with similar characteristics, he is able to "show" the "25 percent gap" that exists among the income of husbands and wives.

Here's the problem in a bolded word.  Whether or not a person is equal to others is not measured only or even mainly by the inflow of dollars into their bank account.  As far as I'm concerned, my wife & I are equal even though her dollar income is almost nonexistent compared to mine.  She contributes more to society than I do by home schooling the kids and teaching them to be productive, civilized human beings, even though at this point in our lives I contribute more to the economy.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".