Author Topic: Rand Paul warns Texas could turn blue  (Read 605 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul warns Texas could turn blue
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=B0F879C9-950F-46FC-8C93-4657848D6BAA

Rand Paul warns Texas could turn blue
By: Katie Glueck
February 9, 2014 08:42 AM EST

HOUSTON — Sen. Rand Paul on Saturday predicted that Texas would turn blue within a decade if the Republican Party doesn’t become more inclusive.

“What I do believe is Texas is going to be a Democrat state within 10 years if we don’t change,” Paul (R-Ky.), who grew up in Texas, said at a dinner held by the Harris County GOP. “That means we evolve, it doesn’t mean we give up on what we believe in, but it means we have to be a welcoming party.”

Paul, who is heavily weighing a presidential bid, noted that his assessment was shared by the chairman of the Republican Party of Texas. The Lone Star state, currently the largest Republican bastion in the country, is nearly 40 percent Hispanic — a demographic that has overwhelmingly supported Democrats in recent elections.

The senator, whose father was a longtime congressman from Texas, acknowledged that immigration reform is a “touchy” subject before offering his vision for people who want to come to the United States.

“We won’t all agree on it,” he said. “But I’ll tell you, what I will say and what I’ll continue to say, and it’s not an exact policy prescription … but if you want to work and you want a job and you want to be part of America, we’ll find a place for you.”

There was some quiet applause in the massive hotel ballroom, in which hundreds of Republicans — a mix of high-dollar donors, activists and state officials — were gathered. But Paul remarked that the response was “kind of tepid.”

“Doesn’t mean I don’t believe in securing the border first, doesn’t mean I don’t believe it’s important we have a secure country,” he said. “But it does mean we have to have a different attitude.”

More people applauded when he quoted his colleague, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah): “Immigrants are assets, not liabilities. We were all immigrants once.”

In his 25-minute address, Paul also offered up some 2016 red meat: He went after Hillary Clinton, a likely Democratic presidential contender, over Benghazi.

“We’re talking about six months of ignoring repeated, one-after-another requests for security,” he said, referring to the months leading up to the September 2012 attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. He added that the issue that “should limit Hillary Clinton from ever holding high office, when she was asked for reinforcements, she turned down reinforcements, and we should never, ever have a commander-in-chief who won’t send reinforcements.”

A spokesman for Clinton didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. “With specific security requests they didn’t come to me. I had no knowledge of them,” Clinton said during congressional testimony last year.

Paul was introduced by Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), who praised his Kentucky colleague for pushing to expand the party.

“I’ve been particularly impressed with Rand’s efforts to broaden the base and appeal of our party without sacrificing our principles,” said Cornyn, who is in the midst of a primary contest of his own. “To me, that’s the most important challenge our party faces.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Rand Paul warns Texas could turn blue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 02:08:48 pm »
Rand is correct.

Why is everyone forgetting Obama already Executive Ordered the part of the dream act that gets the dems votes?

Why is no one screaming about San Antonio getting tax payer money to cheat the vote ACORN style?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:09:10 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:48:26 pm »
Rand is playing politician with nebulous double speak and pontification.  If he has a genuine plan for "being inclusive"  whatever that means, why not announce it in detail?   If he has a genuine plan for immigration reform, why not purpose it in detail?  He says the GOP needs a different attitude.  What attitude, specifically, does the GOP need and how does it get there?

The GOP is waiting for answers............... 

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:13 pm »
The Texas GOP has not been asleep at the wheel.  They have been working to get Hispanics to vote Republican and that living on the Democrat plantation is not going to help them one bit.

Hispanics in Texas do vote Republican more than Hispanics in the rest of the US.

However, you get many of these national Republicans saying this because they want to pass amnesty.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 11:51:01 pm »
The Texas GOP has not been asleep at the wheel.  They have been working to get Hispanics to vote Republican and that living on the Democrat plantation is not going to help them one bit.

Hispanics in Texas do vote Republican more than Hispanics in the rest of the US.

However, you get many of these national Republicans saying this because they want to pass amnesty.

Yeah, but Hispanics in Houston, San Antonio, DFW, and Austin tend to vote for the Dem that gives them the most stuff.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:30 am »
[[ Sen. Rand Paul on Saturday predicted that Texas would turn blue within a decade if the Republican Party doesn’t become more inclusive. ]]

Well, look at it this way:

If the Republican party doesn't become "more inclusive", Texas could "turn blue" in ten years.

If the Republican party DOES become "more inclusive", Texas will probably turn blue within fifteen years, anyway.

The reason that Texas is soon going to become "Tejas" has far less to do with political pandering that it does with demographics. What are the birth numbers of Hispanics there, vis-a-vis the number of Anglo babies being born?

And what is "becoming more inclusive" supposed to entail, anyway?
Does it mean legalizing the illegals?
If anything, that will make Texas turn blue even sooner.

Doesn't look like the best situation down there.
Any way you choose.... you lose.