Author Topic: It was only a matter of time: School bans kids from giving each other Valentine's Day candy  (Read 1364 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:06:05 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline mountaineer

I'm curious: Do posters here over the age of 40 recall anyone in their elementary schools having food allergies?  I sure can't.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Charlespg

I'm curious: Do posters here over the age of 40 recall anyone in their elementary schools having food allergies?  I sure can't.
neither do I
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

One kid was allergic to shellfish in my class. Never saw the allergy in action though - we were just reminded not to trade sandwiches with him if we had shrimp paste or crab. That was about it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
Back when I was in elementary school, when Moby Dick was still a minnow, I don't remember a problem.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:29:01 PM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline musiclady

Not a single one.  Ever.

Nor can my husband.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I'm not quite 40, but I remember two kids in elementary school who had food allergies, both to peanuts.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

I'm 66 and never saw a food allergy reaction. That not only includes schools, but weddings, parties or anything where food is served.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

No food allergies but a strong moral opposition to the chipped beef on toast crap they'd serve near the end of the month.

Offline Rapunzel

Nope............ never.  But then we were not vaccinated up the ying yang when I was growing up...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:38:03 PM by Rapunzel »

Offline happyg

Why don't these same kids have allergies when being breastfed from mothers who eat nuts? I wonder what the triggers are?

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

No, no one did that I recall. Thank God I don't have kids nowadays.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Why don't these same kids have allergies when being breastfed from mothers who eat nuts? I wonder what the triggers are?

You partly answered your own question. Breastfeeding is vital for a baby. It accelerates their immune system development and makes it far more robust. Take bottle feeding, throw in the tendency to sanitize everything that is currently fashionable and you have a fine recipe for weak immune systems that over react to anything new.

Ties in with what Rap posted about vaccines. The vaccines are not causing the allergies. The body is over-reacting to the vaccines because it's immune system is crippled.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork

I remember a small handful; mostly peanuts (that one seems to get a lot of attention because it can so easily kill).

Offline Rapunzel

You partly answered your own question. Breastfeeding is vital for a baby. It accelerates their immune system development and makes it far more robust. Take bottle feeding, throw in the tendency to sanitize everything that is currently fashionable and you have a fine recipe for weak immune systems that over react to anything new.

Ties in with what Rap posted about vaccines. The vaccines are not causing the allergies. The body is over-reacting to the vaccines because it's immune system is crippled.

It's the same thing as vaccinating puppies before they are weined. While they are nursing they get natural immunity from their mother - you vaccinate them you actually destroy that natural immunity and it is why there has been such a tremendous increase in allergies and worse in our pets...... A lot of people really do not understand vaccines and how they work in the body... I'm surprised Aligncare hasn't weighed in on this, too...  he and I are simpatico on this subject.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork

Breastfeeding isn't the magic cure-all and - please don't take this personally - I am more than a little tired of the tit-fascists, La Leche being one of the worst, in this country who basically try to browbeat exhausted mothers who gave birth only hours before that they're going to be rotten mothers and destroy their newborn's life if they don't breastfeed.  The tit-fascists even got NYC to forbid the discussion of, or provision of, formulas in the hospitals.

My daughter wasn't breastfed - not even once - and she's doing quite well, thank you very much.  She gets a rash if she's exposed to dirty hay or really old, brittle alfalfa - and so do a lot of other people who spend time around horses - which she can easily control with a long-sleeved shirt and gloves, and making sure she cleans off the dust as soon as possible.

The mania for sterility in the home, especially for newborns and toddlers, is almost certainly a bigger factor in the (apparent) increase in allergies.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's the same thing as vaccinating puppies before they are weined. While they are nursing they get natural immunity from their mother - you vaccinate them you actually destroy that natural immunity and it is why there has been such a tremendous increase in allergies and worse in our pets...... A lot of people really do not understand vaccines and how they work in the body... I'm surprised Aligncare hasn't weighed in on this, too...  he and I are simpatico on this subject.

Exactly right! Not saying vaccines are a bad thing - they are not - but the age they are being given is younger and younger. We actually had a fight with the midwife over Dani. She wanted her vaccinated at 2 months old. No damned way, her immune system wouldn't have been able to cope. She's just had her first round of vaccinations at 14 months, now she is no longer breastfeeding.

I sometimes wonder if the apparent increase in autism and ADHD related illness isn't related more to bottle feeding and early vaccination than to the vaccines themselves.

Offline Rapunzel

Exactly right! Not saying vaccines are a bad thing - they are not - but the age they are being given is younger and younger. We actually had a fight with the midwife over Dani. She wanted her vaccinated at 2 months old. No damned way, her immune system wouldn't have been able to cope. She's just had her first round of vaccinations at 14 months, now she is no longer breastfeeding.

I sometimes wonder if the apparent increase in autism and ADHD related illness isn't related more to bottle feeding and early vaccination than to the vaccines themselves.

They are giving the hepatitis vaccine to newborn babies before they leave the hospital. A doctor used to work for was in Pediatrics, it was amazing how these babies came in for vaccinations and then within a day or two was back with an illness after being healthy to that point.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
With allergies, there probably is no one single cause.

I had all the usual vaccinations as a kid, and my allergies are all nasal allergies, the exact same ones my parents have.  I did test positive to allergies to peanuts and corn, but it was so low that the doctor said it might just be because I ate those things the day or two before they drew the blood for the test.  This was 20 years ago and I never once have had a problem eating corn or peanuts.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
With allergies, there probably is no one single cause.

I had all the usual vaccinations as a kid, and my allergies are all nasal allergies, the exact same ones my parents have.  I did test positive to allergies to peanuts and corn, but it was so low that the doctor said it might just be because I ate those things the day or two before they drew the blood for the test.  This was 20 years ago and I never once have had a problem eating corn or peanuts.

There are bound to be multiple causes. I am allergic to one specific type of grass (red top) that brings me out in a rash, and rather badly allergic to crab - that developed in my teens and is really annoying because I loved crab!

Have had more than the usual number of vaccinations - the only one that bothers me at all is the Yellow Fever one that makes me feel sick as hell for a couple days afterwards.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
My siblings and I had quite a few vaccinations as tots - moving to places like Kenya, India, and Nigeria in the early and middle 1970s will do that - and none of us has suffered any ill effects.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
My siblings and I had quite a few vaccinations as tots - moving to places like Kenya, India, and Nigeria in the early and middle 1970s will do that - and none of us has suffered any ill effects.

Barry?

Offline raml

I am 68 and never saw a person who had an allergy when growing up in school or out of it. Breast feeding my age group was rarely if ever done back then. My mothers age group gladly used formula so they didn't feel as tied down and doctors highly recommended back then. I breast fed my oldest two and one got asthma my oldest son and my daughter she was allergic to metal from the very first. My oldest son took the shots when he was in high school to defuse his allergies and it worked. My twins who were not breast fed only have one allergy and it is to a drug they use sometimes when they put you under for surgery they have no other allergies. I developed an allergy to metal after age 50. I became allergic to iodine as an adult too so lobster, shrimp and crap were a no no I did not have this allergy as a child either but my father had also developed this allergy as an adult so maybe it was genetic. I have no idea why you hear so much now about allergies when back when I was growing up you never heard a thing about them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
raml - might want to get a thyroid check done. Iodine is reasonably toxic if your thyroid is not in tip top shape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf