Author Topic: Fukushima radiation more than 10 times the normal level is detected on California beaches  (Read 718 times)

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:44:11 PM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline SouthTexas

So what do you think?

I think if it really were that bad, it would have been here a long time ago. 

By the way, what were the readings in California in 1945 and 1946?  Hawaii?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
So what do you think?

I think if it really were that bad, it would have been here a long time ago. 

By the way, what were the readings in California in 1945 and 1946?  Hawaii?

Think about how many nukes were detonated in the Pacific from 1946 (Operation Crossroads) to 1962 (Operation Dominic) and despite the anti-nuclear people then always protesting it, never was a major radiation spike detected in the water off California.

Water is the greatest moderator of radiation and given how much water there is in the Pacific, and compare that to how much water leaked into the ocean, it probably is on the order of a single drop going into a swimming pool.

Just because it is on the Internet, does not make it true.  In fact, it usually makes it BS.  This site is a tin foil hat, conspiracy theorist site for sure.

I'm still waiting on that "massive, radioactive plume" which was supposed to kill every living thing west of the Rocky Mountains.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline SouthTexas

I'm still waiting on that "massive, radioactive plume" which was supposed to kill every living thing west of the Rocky Mountains.

And Three Mile Island was going to kill us all!  Then Chernobyl, then, then....you know-because!

Nuclear generated power is by far the most cost effective and safest way to generate power.  You'd think all the whiners would go for it instead of coal, etc, etc.  How many people have you ever heard that were killed mining uranium?  How about coal mines, oil and gas drilling?  No point in even discussing tilting at windmills, they don't produce enough to even come close to being viable.

Online rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
I think the big thing here is the combined cover up of countries to make it seem the Fukushima accident was not as bad as it actually was.  Much of that, I would have to guess, was for the benefit of the Japanese people who are understandably a little touchy on the subject.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Would I live near Fukushima?  Not at all.  The area right around the plant is contaminated, just like the area around Chernobyl.

Chernobyl put out far more radioactive material than Fukushima has, and it put it out into the atmosphere.  It didn't wipe out life on Earth or even within the "Zone of Alienation" that was established around the plant, although close into the plant most things did die shortly after the explosions as would be expected.  Most of the radiation that leaked from Fukushima is due to the cooling water they had to dump on it to prevent a complete meltdown of the cores, and during the initial incident, steam being released from the cooling system to prevent explosions.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Would I live near Fukushima?  Not at all.  The area right around the plant is contaminated, just like the area around Chernobyl.

Chernobyl put out far more radioactive material than Fukushima has, and it put it out into the atmosphere.  It didn't wipe out life on Earth or even within the "Zone of Alienation" that was established around the plant, although close into the plant most things did die shortly after the explosions as would be expected.  Most of the radiation that leaked from Fukushima is due to the cooling water they had to dump on it to prevent a complete meltdown of the cores, and during the initial incident, steam being released from the cooling system to prevent explosions.

I think you are overlooking the fact that the Japanese are storing something like 400 tons a day of highly contaminated and radioactive water that they are pumping from the site continuously.  They have been building storage tanks on site for this water as fast as they can, and they are barely keeping up with the demand for new tanks, and doing nothing about the radioactive water they already have.  A moderate earthquake would likely cause a number of these temporary tanks to fail and that would cause any number of others to fail, with all of that highly radioactive debris and water washing freely into the Pacific. 

When that happens I think the release will make Chernobyl look like a backyard barbecue by comparison.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
At this time, it hasn't happened.  The plan is to decontaminate the water in those tanks.

Even then, the amount of water being stored is still miniscule compared to how much water is in the Pacific Ocean.

Offline Slide Rule

So.  Just what were the measured values of radiation on California's sunny shore?

I would expect, in an article bad mouthing radiation of any sort, to at least provide a figure.

Articles without figures are usually so much BS.

You know that the
The China Syndrome is a 1979 fictional movie.  Don't you?

Al

All the best,
Al

Disclosure:
I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France

Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind

Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So.  Just what were the measured values of radiation on California's sunny shore?

I would expect, in an article bad mouthing radiation of any sort, to at least provide a figure.

Articles without figures are usually so much BS.

You know that the
The China Syndrome is a 1979 fictional movie.  Don't you?

Al

Yep - sloppy reporting. And the 10 times scare figure - you'd probably get the same result if you compared the base levels in California and Colorado.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf