Author Topic: Coca-Cola Bows to Conservative Critics, Adds 'E Pluribus Unum' to Ad for Olympics  (Read 405 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/02/07/Coca-Cola-Bows-to-Conservative-Critics-Adds-E-Pluribus-Unum-to-Ad-for-Olympics

Coca-Cola bowed to conservative criticism over their "America the Beautiful" Super Bowl commercial, adding a 10-second patriotic disclaimer at the opening of the 90-second version of the ad that ran during the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

The ad now prominently features the text "E Pluribus Unum" and its English meaning, "Out of many, one" in a prelude to children singing the deeply patriotic anthem in foreign languages.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I think I'm the only person on the right that wasn't offended by it. I think we go overboard on the language issue. I don't want the government dictating what language we use because it is one step in the control of speech. Our entire history, especially around the time of our founding was multi-lingual. The founders saw no need to address this. Little know this but they even printed copies of the Declaration of Independence in other common languages of the time because the language of our country was so diverse. Here is an example copy of a German one.

Language always reflects culture, it doesn't lead culture. People begin to unify around a language because it promotes the best opportunity for trade. Like anything, if we artificially force something, especially with government involvement, it has a way of backfiring.