Author Topic: All American Credit Cards Will Disappear In 2015 And Be Replaced With This New Tech  (Read 1135 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
I remember when the USA was at the cutting edge of technology and everything new happened here first.  Now we are laggards behind the rest of the world.  In most other industrialized societies you can buy a soft drink from a vending machine simply by pointing your cell phone at it.  Here, you still have to put in the money and half the time the machine spits it back.
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Just last year here locally, a couple of guys were busted for installing a device on gas pumps that copied the magnetic strip info as you inserted the card in the pump. 

I just wonder what it will cost us to implement this...you know the banks will pass on the costs...

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
I'll also say this: it will take longer than 18 months for this new technology to reach every corner of the country and, like canada, we'll probably have a period of years where both will still be in use.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Weird. I'm so used to chip and PIN that it never even occurred to me that you guys didn't have it yet.

It does have it's advantages, as the article points out, and anyone who can't remember a 4 digit number shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper in the first place.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Just last year here locally, a couple of guys were busted for installing a device on gas pumps that copied the magnetic strip info as you inserted the card in the pump. 

I just wonder what it will cost us to implement this...you know the banks will pass on the costs...

A pair were just arrested about 2 months ago for doing the same thing to a number of LIRR ticket machines (Long Island Rail Road).

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Do NOT go in there.
Weird. I'm so used to chip and PIN that it never even occurred to me that you guys didn't have it yet.

It does have it's advantages, as the article points out, and anyone who can't remember a 4 digit number shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper in the first place.
For one card, sure. But remember, many Americans have several debit/credit cards, each of which have their own code. Get them mixed up too many times and the card locks.

Offline LambChop

Will you be my keeper? :laugh:

I use my debit card as "credit" for precisely that reason.  Can't remember the damn PIN #

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Will you be my keeper? :laugh:

I use my debit card as "credit" for precisely that reason.  Can't remember the damn PIN #

:laugh:

Do have a fix. Put your pin on your cell phone. Pick a name you associate with the bank, and make a bogus phone number. Last 4 digits are your PIN. You can whip out your phone and check while you are waiting in line to pay.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:55:06 PM by EC »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
:laugh:

Do have a fix. Put your pin on your cell phone. Pick a name you associate with the bank, and make a bogus phone number. Last 4 digits are your PIN. You can whip out your phone and check while you are waiting in line to pay.

Oooh!  I like that!  That is a very ingenious solution - at least so long as you have your phone about you - and does help to overcome the problem of having to have a different password for every different security measure one has to deal with.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The beauty of it is, someone looking at their phone is the norm rather than the exception now, and the name you associate with the particular bank is entirely random and depends solely on your own mind.

For example - my main bank is Barclays. That is coded in as Clark. Not something you could guess easily.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:52:25 AM by EC »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
The beauty of it is, someone looking at their phone is the norm rather than the exception now, and the name you associate with the particular bank is entirely random and depends solely on your own mind.

For example - my main bank is Barclays. That is coded in as Clark. Not something you could guess easily.

could also be clay's bar.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I just tried to chase the association chain for that, just for fun.

Barclays Bank.
They have a SA subsidiary called Barclay de zot Weld.
The last apartheid president was F W de Klerk.
Convert it to English - Clark.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
I just tried to chase the association chain for that, just for fun.

Barclays Bank.
They have a SA subsidiary called Barclay de zot Weld.
The last apartheid president was F W de Klerk.
Convert it to English - Clark.

Too far for me!

Offline olde north church

ummm, I can't remember a 4 digit number  :tongue2:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline kevindavis

Not a bad idea..
“If he will lie to or mislead his wife and daughter, those with whom he is most intimate, what will prevent him from doing the same to the American public? Private conduct does have public consequences.”
Franklin Graham

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf