Author Topic: Obama explains Sochi absence in interview with NBC’s Bob Costas  (Read 809 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=0B984186-BEAF-49A2-8003-87F29ADCF4C5

Obama explains Sochi absence in interview with NBC’s Bob Costas
By: Jennifer Epstein
February 6, 2014 04:31 PM EST

President Barack Obama dismissed that he has an “icy” relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying instead there is a “surprising amount of humor,” in an interview airing Thursday.

“I wouldn’t call it icy. The truth of the matter is that when we are in meetings there are a lot of exchanges, there’s a surprising amount of humor, and a lot of give and take,” Obama said in an interview with NBC’s Bob Costas according to an NBC News transcript.

He added that he has always been treated by Putin “with the utmost respect.”

Obama also commented on Putin’s demeanor , suggesting in the words first reported in a now-deleted tweet from an NBC researcher, that the Russian president’s “bored, tough guy ‘schtick’ [is] aimed at internal audience.”

The president said openly gay athletes who are a part of the U.S. Olympic team competing in Sochi makes it clear that the U.S. does not discriminate and added that Olympic competitors are judged solely on their merit.

“How good you are regardless of where you come from, what you look like, who you love and that I think is consistent with the spirit of the Olympics,” the president said. “It is certainly consistent with American values and we want to make sure the people understand that.”

The president said he chose not to attend the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in part because he didn’t want to distract from the competition, he said in an interview airing Thursday.

“The folks that people are actually interested in seeing are our incredible athletes,” Obama said in an interview with NBC’s Bob Costas, according to a tweet from Jim Bell, NBC’s executive producer for the Olympics.

The full interview will air during the opening ceremonies broadcast Friday night, NBC said. Clips aired during NBC Nightly News on Thursday night.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama explains Sochi absence in interview with NBC’s Bob Costas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »
The president said he chose not to attend the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in part because he didn’t want to distract from the competition, he said in an interview airing Thursday.
Same reason he gave for not attending church in D.C., incidentally.  I guess he's' afraid the Russian people would start bowing at his feet and tossing rose petals his way. :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:14:39 pm »
He didn't attend the 2012 Games either. It's almost like he doesn't respect the hard work and sacrifice that goes in to training to be the best.  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:26:48 pm »
He didn't attend the 2012 Games either. It's almost like he doesn't respect the hard work and sacrifice that goes in to training to be the best.  :whistle:

No. He didn't go, and won't go, because he can't make it about him.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:09 pm »
Come on people.  If he went to the games, security might not be as tight as in the states.   Let's face it, he's a chicken shit and afraid something might happen to him. 888what

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 09:16:31 pm »
As an aside Bob Costas is already rubbing me the wrong way and I am speaking from day 1 of the games.... he was all about the gay issue last night.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:56 pm »
Come on people.  If he went to the games, security might not be as tight as in the states.   Let's face it, he's a chicken shit and afraid something might happen to him. 888what

I think you've got it ranger.  He's a coward.

Plus he needs to be loved, and he ain't gonna be loved in Russia.

(Even though he's a Communist.........  **nononono* )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 01:23:18 pm »
(Even though he's a Communist.........  **nononono* )

He' not real good at that, either.