Author Topic: Will Smith not returning for 'Independence Day' sequel  (Read 984 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Will Smith not returning for 'Independence Day' sequel
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:28:12 am »
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=851379

Will Smith not returning for 'Independence Day' sequel
Feb. 7, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

By Jeff Sneider
TheWrap

Will Smith will not return for the "Independence Day" sequel that 20th Century Fox will release in 2016, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

A representative for Smith did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

"Independence Day" helped put Smith on the map as an A-list movie star, though Smith has been reluctant to reprise his role as fighter pilot Capt. Steven Hiller.

Also on TheWrap:  Michael B. Jordan Eyed to Star in 'Independence Day' Sequel (Exclusive)

Director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin have been gearing up to start casting the sequel, for which screenwriter James Vanderbilt penned two distinctly different drafts. One featured Smith's character as the protagonist, while Plan B focuses on other characters.

Emmerich has been meeting with Hollywood's hottest young actors including "Fruitvale Station" star Michael B. Jordan, who is high on the studio's list. Fox execs have thrown Jordan's name around in several creative meetings -- and Jordan is interested in taking on the lead in a blockbuster sci-fi franchise, depending on where it might fit into his increasingly busy schedule.

Should Fox make an offer, the studio would effectively be doubling down on Jordan's star potential, as the actor is poised to play the Human Torch in its "Fantastic Four" reboot, as TheWrap first reported.

While Smith and rising star Jordan would've made a nice pairing, 20th Century Fox surely has a contingency plan in place, as "Independence Day" has significant brand recognition and the kids who grew up worshipping the movie are now the demographic driving ticket sales at the box office.

Also on TheWrap:  Will Smith, U2 Will Be First Jimmy Fallon 'Tonight Show' Guests
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Will Smith not returning for 'Independence Day' sequel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:25:54 am »
The first one was great.  I have no doubt this one will suck.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:29:49 am »

Depends if it follows the law of the trilogy or not, but sequels usually do suck. Emmerich is a pretty solid director though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:28:03 pm »
I wonder what political spin they'll put in the sequel.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
The effects were great, the plot was made it impossible for me to suspend disbelief.
A guy writes a virus for an alien computer in hours? Ask a COBOL programmer, (they still exist), how long it would take them to program in java.
A fighter pilot that just figures out how to fly an alien ship as soon as he climbs in?

I'm not hyper critical, but geeze, throw me a bone.

My bet is a sequel will be unwatchable. For me, at least.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:05 pm »
The effects were great, the plot was made it impossible for me to suspend disbelief.
A guy writes a virus for an alien computer in hours? Ask a COBOL programmer, (they still exist), how long it would take them to program in java.
A fighter pilot that just figures out how to fly an alien ship as soon as he climbs in?

There was a deleted scene. David is pretty much a supergenius, and he used the count down code he isolated before the first attack to work out the language and develop the virus. The flying thing - I was probably on autopilot all the way back to the mothership. Will Smith just thought he was flying it. Think of how he landed it.  :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:12 pm »

Totally with you on that! I won't go out of my way to see it I'll assure you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:36:03 pm »
There was a deleted scene. David is pretty much a supergenius, and he used the count down code he isolated before the first attack to work out the language and develop the virus. The flying thing - I was probably on autopilot all the way back to the mothership. Will Smith just thought he was flying it. Think of how he landed it.  :laugh:

Ok, one out of two. I'll give you the autopilot thing.

The supergenius thing... I still have trouble with that. Computer coding is hard enough, let alone doing it for a foreign system, in an unknown language. But, I guess it's no worse than Spock being able to operate any alien device they ever found.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:41 pm »
Ok, one out of two. I'll give you the autopilot thing.

The supergenius thing... I still have trouble with that. Computer coding is hard enough, let alone doing it for a foreign system, in an unknown language. But, I guess it's no worse than Spock being able to operate any alien device they ever found.

It is full of holes. Still a damned fun movie though. I really hope they don't wreck the sequel with CGI over actual talent. Will Smith is a talented actor. Jeff Goldblum is an incredibly talented actor. We need those levels (at least)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 08:03:55 pm »

My thoughts exactly.

:smokin:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:47:19 am »
Java is easy. Try doing it in FORTRAN!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:39 am »
Java is easy. Try doing it in FORTRAN!

I learned C and FORTRAN. Java just looks like a mess to me. It looks like they took C and got super expressive to the point of incoherency.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 01:57:01 am »
I learned C and FORTRAN. Java just looks like a mess to me. It looks like they took C and got super expressive to the point of incoherency.
Eh, to each his own. I've worked with Java (or its illegitimate cousin Javascript, I do some Web design) for years and kinda like it. I learned FORTRAN in college and feel like it's a clunky nightmare. Apparently it's fast as lightning, though.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024