Author Topic: Bill Henck: Inside the IRS  (Read 261 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Bill Henck: Inside the IRS
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Bill Henck: Inside the IRS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
I really, really hope this guy is legit, because if he's not he's going to give the democrats more than enough ammunition to bury every last investigation into IRS abuse, political and otherwise.

As for some of his allegations, the one about IRS Counsel continuing to press weak legal positions is true.  Sometimes it is legitimate:  it is not unheard of for some of the lower federal courts to make wrong decisions - if they didn't there would be very little need for the Supreme Court - and so the government can in good faith continue to press a particular position even though it lost on that argument in a previous case; however, it is also very much the case that some IRS attorneys - just like some of their ugly little brethren in DA offices around the country - to extort taxpayers they personally, or politically, do not like by forcing them to spend so much money litigating that they either have to settle because they can no longer afford to pay their attorneys to argue their cases, or because - and IRS counsel will make this clear - that it will cost the taxpayers more to litigate than to simply roll over and pay the tax.  Unfortunately, I have had to counsel some people - not, mind you, because the IRS was being abusive to them, but simply because it's a fact of life that legal representation is not free - that they would be better off just paying the tax even though it's not correct, because it would cost them more to pay me to argue the case than the amount of the tax.

Offline Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
I really, really hope this guy is legit, because if he's not he's going to give the democrats more than enough ammunition to bury every last investigation into IRS abuse, political and otherwise.

As for some of his allegations, the one about IRS Counsel continuing to press weak legal positions is true.  Sometimes it is legitimate:  it is not unheard of for some of the lower federal courts to make wrong decisions - if they didn't there would be very little need for the Supreme Court - and so the government can in good faith continue to press a particular position even though it lost on that argument in a previous case; however, it is also very much the case that some IRS attorneys - just like some of their ugly little brethren in DA offices around the country - to extort taxpayers they personally, or politically, do not like by forcing them to spend so much money litigating that they either have to settle because they can no longer afford to pay their attorneys to argue their cases, or because - and IRS counsel will make this clear - that it will cost the taxpayers more to litigate than to simply roll over and pay the tax.  Unfortunately, I have had to counsel some people - not, mind you, because the IRS was being abusive to them, but simply because it's a fact of life that legal representation is not free - that they would be better off just paying the tax even though it's not correct, because it would cost them more to pay me to argue the case than the amount of the tax.

But if he is, as I suspect, legit he may just be the catalyst that blows this wide open!

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »
But if he is, as I suspect, legit he may just be the catalyst that blows this wide open!

From your lips to God's ear.  I won't be holding my breath, unfortunately.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf