Author Topic: Paul Ryan Is the Odds-On Favorite to Win the Republican Nomination in 2016  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/02/paul-ryan-odds-favorite-win-republican-nomination-2016

Paul Ryan Is the Odds-On Favorite to Win the Republican Nomination in 2016

—By Kevin Drum
| Wed Feb. 5, 2014 10:04 PM GMT

There's been a lot of blathering about who the front-runner for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination is, and so far I've resisted taking part. But I guess I'm kind of curious: Is there much of a case to be made for anyone other than Paul Ryan?

On the substantive side, Ryan sure seems like he's setting himself up for a run. There's his steady series of "unheralded" anti-poverty outreach trips that always manage to be just heralded enough to get sympathetic press coverage. He brokered a budget deal with Patty Murray that was businesslike and low-drama but didn't alienate the tea party crowd too badly. Today, in a hearing about the CBO's report on Obamacare, he acknowledged that the report didn't say that employers would be cutting jobs—points for intellectual honesty!—while also calling Obamacare a "poverty trap"—points for demagoguery! This is all stuff that seems very delicately calculated to stay in the good graces of the tea party base while building up plenty of policy substance cred that will keep him attractive to moderate voters.

On the flip side, who are his big competitors? Chris Christie is toast. Marco Rubio is inexperienced to begin with, and then muffed his chance for statesmanlike glory when he staked his reputation on immigration reform and came up empty. Jeb Bush can't even get his mother's endorsement. Scott Walker is getting buzz, but he strikes me as having too much baggage. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are novelty candidates, not to be taken seriously. And although I used to think Bobby Jindal might have a chance, he's had a rough past couple of years.

Maybe I'm dismissing all these guys a little too glibly. Walker and Bush are certainly serious possibilities. And I admit that Ryan doesn't always give off a vibe that says he's running for president. And of course, we're still a couple of years away from 2016, anything can happen, blah blah blah.

Still, ol' blue eyes sure looks like the favorite to me right now. Anyone want to make a case for one of the others?
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Paul Ryan Is the Odds-On Favorite to Win the Republican Nomination in 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:26:59 pm »
So says David Corn's Mother Jones (of the 47% hidden video).  The left is desperate to choose our candidate for us - earlier this week Rendell said he wanted us to pick Jeb Bush.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:29:30 pm »
I like Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker myself.

Hopefully, as we get closer to the campaign season, his popularity will rise.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:33:26 pm »

I think it's good he's staying under the radar and quietly working away in WI....... the slings and arrows can spare him a bit longer.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »
I think it's good he's staying under the radar and quietly working away in WI....... the slings and arrows can spare him a bit longer.

They tried more than once to recall him...."slings and arrows" aren't going to hurt this guy.

In the meantime, his wonderful resume' continues to expand.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:25 pm »
The left is always trying to tell us what we should do. We could do worse than Ryan, but we also could do better.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:48:37 am »

I like him a lot too - but pragmatically, the Repubs need to field a woman candidate this time. Preferably a younger one with a good history of success. Nikki Haley springs to mind. Jan Brewer is (we have been reliably and repeatedly informed  :tongue2: ) a no go.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:50:11 am »
Christie
Jeb
Huckster
Romney
Ryan

Next week it will be McCain.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:51:15 am »
I like him a lot too - but pragmatically, the Repubs need to field a woman candidate this time. Preferably a younger one with a good history of success. Nikki Haley springs to mind. Jan Brewer is (we have been reliably and repeatedly informed  :tongue2: ) a no go.

Nope, want the best candidate don't care if they are man, woman, white, black or Hispanic as long as they are a reliable conservative.    Nikki had too difficult an election in SC with all the trash thrown at her about affairs, etc.. we cannot have it in the general election.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 06:03:47 am »
I'm uncomfortable with a woman leading the GOP ticket regardless of their political pedigree.

Not when we know the opponent will be Hillary Clinton.

And certainly not with a mainstream media providing her cover and security.

If they're not going to fore go the 'Mister Nice Guy' act like they used on Obama...and attack Hillary for her political failures and scandals...her history on Universal Health Care, etc., her being fired on the Watergate panel hearings, her disbarment, etc., we're going to lose.

OTOH...if the economy keeps 'booming' and the unemployment rate continues to decline....things must be doing okay!   LOL!   Do I need a sarcasm tag?

By the time November 2016 gets here, the voters SHOULD be begging for a Republican to take over.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:25:26 am »
It is way, way too early. Hopefully the midterms will turn out well, and the divisiveness will settle down in order for the new Congress to wield more political clout.

It is fully two years from now for the start of Presidential primaries. Hopefully by then the field will be narrowed, to just a few serious contenders, instead of the clown of the week we had last time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »

By the time November 2016 gets here, the voters SHOULD be begging for a Republican to take over.

Sort of like the German people begging for Hitler?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »
So says David Corn's Mother Jones (of the 47% hidden video).  The left is desperate to choose our candidate for us - earlier this week Rendell said he wanted us to pick Jeb Bush.

BINGO!!!

ROFLMAO!!! Mother Jones indeed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »
Sort of like the German people begging for Hitler?

Wash your mouth!   :chairbang:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 02:02:51 pm »

I like him a LOT but he will never be a viable candidate on the national stage because he lacks a piece of paper from one of our august institutions of higher learning that tells us how smart he is!

The truth is I LIKE the fact that he doesn't have a degree because I KNOW for sure that he was not subjected to the Marxist dogma one must endure to get that piece of paper these days but most of the rest of us will not see it that way!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:04:08 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 02:06:00 pm »
Nope, want the best candidate don't care if they are man, woman, white, black or Hispanic as long as they are a reliable conservative.    Nikki had too difficult an election in SC with all the trash thrown at her about affairs, etc.. we cannot have it in the general election.

The key words being RELIABLE and CONSERVATIVE! Ted Cruz comes to mind, as does Rand Paul.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
The key words being RELIABLE and CONSERVATIVE! Ted Cruz comes to mind, as does Rand Paul.

Can we please get Mia Love into the Senate or the House this go round? She'd be a fine president, but needs a bit more than being a mayor in the way of experience.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »
If they're not going to fore go the 'Mister Nice Guy' act like they used on Obama...and attack Hillary for her political failures and scandals...her history on Universal Health Care, etc., her being fired on the Watergate panel hearings, her disbarment, etc., we're going to lose.

I reject that notion entirely! In fact I see doing EXACTLY those things as the only way to win!

I STILL have yet to figure out why Mitt Romney backed off on Obama over Benghazi! He clearly had him on the ropes but instead of going in for the kill he just dropped the subject!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »
Can we please get Mia Love into the Senate or the House this go round? She'd be a fine president, but needs a bit more than being a mayor in the way of experience.

As far as I'm concerned Hell yes!

But I don't get to vote in Utah unfortunately.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:18:20 pm »
I STILL have yet to figure out why Mitt Romney backed off on Obama over Benghazi! He clearly had him on the ropes but instead of going in for the kill he just dropped the subject!

I think it was deliberate, brother. He didn't really want the job, as the time was not yet right. The pain of correcting 4 years of Obama would make the Republicans unelectable for a generation, at least on the national stage. After 8 years, a slight majority will be begging for things to be fixed and will not be too fussed how it is done.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 02:29:31 pm »
I think it was deliberate, brother. He didn't really want the job, as the time was not yet right. The pain of correcting 4 years of Obama would make the Republicans unelectable for a generation, at least on the national stage. After 8 years, a slight majority will be begging for things to be fixed and will not be too fussed how it is done.

Could be but I personally think it was just more bad advice from the professional campaign consultants around him. Most politicians have not yet figured out that it is not in the interest of those guys to win ANYTHING big! They want it all to stay very competitive ALL the time!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 02:48:21 pm »
Could be but I personally think it was just more bad advice from the professional campaign consultants around him. Most politicians have not yet figured out that it is not in the interest of those guys to win ANYTHING big! They want it all to stay very competitive ALL the time!

Why was able to win?  He ignored the mainstreams.  Spoke over their heads.
What do we have now?  Cowering over IRS and tax exemptions.  Blaming "the Media".  Sending money hand over fist to organizations.
Even the "Tea Party" is nothing more than a money sucker.  The beauty of a the Tea Party was a phone call, an e-mail, a flyer on a windshield.
We must be as fish. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »

She was born in Haiti to Hatian parents, not eligible.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:25:52 pm »

Consultants and his own insecurity. Watch the movie MITT - very revealing as to how insecure he was.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »
She was born in Haiti to Hatian parents, not eligible.

She's not running for the president.  Maybe the house or senate and she meets the requirements for either.

- J. R. R. Tolkien