Author Topic: Girl Scout Cookiecott Breaks Out All Over  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Girl Scout Cookiecott Breaks Out All Over
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/02/06/Girl-Scout-Cookiecott-Breaks-Out-All-Over

Girl Scout Cookiecott Breaks Out All Over
by Austin Ruse 6 Feb 2014

The national boycott of Girl Scout cookies is inundating the group leading it. John Pisciotta, the boycott leader and director of Pro-Life Waco, tells Breitbart News his phone is “ringing off the hook.”

What started at Breitbart News has now been reported by hundreds of media outlets large and small all across America.

The Associated Press picked up on the story on February 4, and since then the report has been carried by FOX News, Huffington Post, Washington Post, Bloomberg/BusinessWeek, ABC,  MSN, NPR, and Yahoo. Additionally, US News and World Report, AOL/HuffPoLive, and CBS DC/Washington have all run original stories on Cookiecott 2014.

In fact, a Google search of “Cookiecott 2014” returns 35,000 results, including a conversation on the Weight Watchers message board. The Breitbart report that broke the story now has 62,000 Facebook shares. Cookiecott has entered into the national conversation.

Organizers are pleased that not all of the coverage is negative. AOL News actually reported that the Girl Scouts have honored Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger. This detail underscores one of their main complaints, that there is a cozy relationship between the Girl Scouts and what is the largest abortion provider in the country.

CookieCott organizers held a "Twitter fest" organized by Mygirlscoutcouncil.com and Human Life Alliance on Thursday in which they asked participants to tweet their support for #cookiecott.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Girl Scout Cookiecott Breaks Out All Over
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:14:11 pm »

:beer:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:05:34 am »
One of my coworker was trying to sell them at work, and I told him in good conscience I could not buy them.

Besides, they're a rip off.  The quantity has shrunk and the size of the cookies are smaller as well.

I did eat one that he was giving out for free.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »
Last year at a breakfast restaurant the mother and daughter asked me to buy the Girl Scout Cookies.

I had a conversation similar to what you had.  But I speak very directly and observed the questions on the girl's face.

The mother was disturbed.  Good.

If the mother wishes to shield her daughter, then don't ask me to support a subversive organization.

Oh.  I won't eat the cookies.

Al
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:04:35 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »
I will always eat a free cookie.  They're just not going to get any of my money.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:00 am »
My oldest daughter is a GS.  She likes the community projects and the camaraderie with her troop.

Their cookie sales were down a bit this year, but only because people don't have as much money as last year.

If some adult started lecturing my daughter about how bad the GS are because of their leadership or a social concern, you'd have a real problem with me. 

Raise your own kids. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:00:41 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:07:38 am »
My oldest daughter is a GS.  She likes the community projects and the camaraderie with her troop.

Their cookie sales were down a bit this year, but only because people don't have as much money as last year.

If some adult started lecturing my daughter about how bad the GS are because of their leadership or a social concern, you'd have a real problem with me. 

Raise your own kids.

If you want to keep your daughter(s) in an organization that promotes abortion and homosexuality, go right ahead.  We already know that you don't lean right on any social issues.

If others want to refuse to financially support such an organization, that is their right as well.

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 12:25:07 am »
If you want to keep your daughter(s) in an organization that promotes abortion and homosexuality, go right ahead.  We already know that you don't lean right on any social issues.

If others want to refuse to financially support such an organization, that is their right as well.

Not once have abortion or homosexuality been talked about to my daughter in GS.  You have the right to not support the organization, but telling off a mother/daughter why you won't support them makes that person as bad as the pro-homosexual crowd.

Social conservatives are just as judgmental as social liberals.  It's why I can't stand either of those types of people.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 01:08:24 am »
Not once have abortion or homosexuality been talked about to my daughter in GS.  You have the right to not support the organization, but telling off a mother/daughter why you won't support them makes that person as bad as the pro-homosexual crowd.

Social conservatives are just as judgmental as social liberals.  It's why I can't stand either of those types of people.

When I was in GS, the cookie sales funded our yearly trip and camping trips for the year.
The 2 camping trips were always free, but the yearly trip would be discounted based  on how well you did in cookie sales.

I know a couple of those trips would have been a bit too expensive for my parents to pay for, and I know many others in my troop were worse off than we were.

When my daughter was in GS, it was the same.  And her trips were as exciting as I remember mine.

So yes, by all means, lets all punish the little girls of this country so we can feel oh so pious about ourselves.  In the meantime, we have to show  support an extremely wealthy actor and his family so he can say gross and stupid stuff whenever he wants.

:pondering:

Wonder why the party is shrinking?

P.S.  I haven't bought GS cookies since my daughter was a member.  But I will now, just to support the girls.  Who btw work hard for those sales.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:30 am »
I don't buy Girl Scout cookies, but do give them money when they come to my door. I do the same with most of the crap the schools sell. That way, they get 100% profit from me.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 01:41:33 am »
Certainly anyone who is pushing cookies for an organization such as Girl Scouts, knows there are issues that don't sit right with the general public.  At least with the public that is informed.

I am not someone to have a difficult problem with.

You would know my view, and so would your daughter.  My commentary is always directed at an adult.

I am direct and can back things up verbally, and if necessary, physically.  I have never hit a woman, but would certainly strike back with emphasis.

Good evening to you
Al

Raise your own kids.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:42:14 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:06 am »
Yes it is.  And it is necessary in my view.

A young girl should be aware that her mother supports abortion.  The killing of the unborn fetus.

Al

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:39 am »
Todays Girl Scouts are a progressive/Marxist organization.  I doubt it resembles much that you remember as a child.

Things change.  Time to be honest about what you are promoting.  Of course, anyone going door to door should have discussed various issues with their daughter.  To inform them.

Dontchaknow.

Al

When I was in GS, the cookie sales funded our yearly trip and camping trips for the year.
The 2 camping trips were always free, but the yearly trip would be discounted based  on how well you did in cookie sales.

I know a couple of those trips would have been a bit too expensive for my parents to pay for, and I know many others in my troop were worse off than we were.

When my daughter was in GS, it was the same.  And her trips were as exciting as I remember mine.

So yes, by all means, lets all punish the little girls of this country so we can feel oh so pious about ourselves.  In the meantime, we have to show  support an extremely wealthy actor and his family so he can say gross and stupid stuff whenever he wants.

P.S.  I haven't bought GS cookies since my daughter was a member.  But I will now, just to support the girls.  Who btw work hard for those sales.

Recommended

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 01:48:36 am »
I'm in total agreement with carling and lambchop.

I'm not going to punish the girls for the sins of their elders. Scouting is fun, or it should be! If you want a change to their policies - GET INVOLVED!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 01:49:27 am »
I don't buy Girl Scout cookies, but do give them money when they come to my door. I do the same with most of the crap the schools sell. That way, they get 100% profit from me.

That makes my day and the world a bit sadder.

Al

Recommended

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 02:21:35 am »
Well, I'm as socially conservative as they come and know exactly what the GS organization is doing.

But I still bought a bunch of cookies from a lovely young lady at our church, and more from my step grandkids.

Everyone needs to do what he or she thinks is right, and I respect the position that the organization shouldn't be supported in any way, but I'm still going to buy cookies from girls I want to help out.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline raml

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 02:54:23 am »
I was a girl scout over 50 years ago and it is not the same organization today. I wouldn't let my daughter join but there was another group I did let her join I forget now who they were but not the girl scouts they have been to political an organization for a long time. My daughter was to involved in gymnastics and other sports so she didn't stay in long in that group either. When feminists started to get into the leadership I stopped buying cookies from them although I do buy cookies from sales the schools may run. Thank Goodness my sons daughters or sons joined the scouts nor will they. My daughter only had sons and they also weren't in the boy scouts either but were in sports and other activities. I am not taking out anything on young girls if their parents want them in organizations that are supporting what they now support then the parents better prepare them to know that there are people who won't support them due to what they represent.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 02:57:49 am »

:thumbsup:

perhaps some GS troops are organized by "community organizers" but the two that I'm familiar with - the one in NYC my daughter was in before we moved, and the one she's in now - are barely even organized, let alone "community organized."  It's a group of mostly grade-school girls getting together with a few of the moms, mostly goofing around, and doing a few charitable things.  In fact, for my daughter it's been a very good ice-breaker, letting the "new kid" make more friends faster than she would have otherwise.

And the Samoas are to die for.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:58:55 am by Oceander »

Offline LambChop

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:15 am »
:thumbsup:

perhaps some GS troops are organized by "community organizers" but the two that I'm familiar with - the one in NYC my daughter was in before we moved, and the one she's in now - are barely even organized, let alone "community organized."  It's a group of mostly grade-school girls getting together with a few of the moms, mostly goofing around, and doing a few charitable things.  In fact, for my daughter it's been a very good ice-breaker, letting the "new kid" make more friends faster than she would have otherwise.

And the Samoas are to die for.

And making the right friends, and with parental supervision.   So many good kids stray down a path we don't want them to when having to make new friends.   The ones we don't want them to hang around are the kids who will quickly seek out the new kids.  Misery loves company.

Glad you were able to find a scout troop for your daughter.

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:25 am »
Todays Girl Scouts are a progressive/Marxist organization.  I doubt it resembles much that you remember as a child.

Hold on a second.  My oldest has been in GS since she was a Brownie, and not a single time have any social issues been brought up to her.  I know this because my wife is involved in the troop.  These girls love to go camping and hiking in the summer, and they volunteer for various local organizations (Planned Parenthood has never been on the list, and if it were, I'd pull my daughter from her troop) in order to learn the value of private volunteerism over government assistance.

Some of you are so far gone in your social conservatism, it really makes me sad to see.  You appear as angry as a liberal screaming about the right to kill a fetus.

Offline Carling

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 01:12:04 am »
And making the right friends, and with parental supervision.   So many good kids stray down a path we don't want them to when having to make new friends.   The ones we don't want them to hang around are the kids who will quickly seek out the new kids.  Misery loves company.

The funny thing to me is that GS is at its core about mothers and their daughters. The mother/daughter camping trips in the summer are one of the highlights of my girls' summers, and instead of talking about sex, which happens in classrooms, these mothers and daughters sing songs, grill out for dinner, sleep under the stars, and bond.  I can understand being upset if some wacko liberal was the leader of this group, but she's not.  She's a hardworking woman with 4 kids who is volunteering her time in a way that helps teach the girls that there is more to socialization and learning than what your find in a classroom.  My daughters are both athletes, too, so they get teamwork in that way, but my oldest is never going to give up GS, and their troop already has a goal of traveling to Italy before their senior year of HS, and are putting aside a little bit of earned money each year to do so.  I think the idea of a long-term goal like that for 5th-graders is a life lesson she wouldn't get otherwise. 

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:18 am »
Last year at a breakfast restaurant the mother and daughter asked me to buy the Girl Scout Cookies.

I had a conversation similar to what you had.  But I speak very directly and observed the questions on the girl's face.

The mother was disturbed.  Good.

If the mother wishes to shield her daughter, then don't ask me to support a subversive organization.

Oh.  I won't eat the cookies.

Al

So, what was the goal you intended to accomplish with these abrasive and rude actions?  I can understand ranting, but do you think you left a positive memory for the young lady?  Seems to me you made it seem that people like you are mean and judgmental.  Not exactly the way to persuade people to you idea of social norms, is it?   :whistle:

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 01:28:30 am »

Thanks.  I think the most fun she had was with her old troop in NYC; they had a mother/daughter night at the museum sleep over.  stalking around the darkened museum with just flashlights was a real kick I'm told.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:24 am »
Of course they do not talk about Marxist policy.  The Girl Scouts provides a front for their propaganda.

Let the girl scout become pregnant, then there will be plenty of private talking.

Why support a  subversive organization at all.

I am involved, by speaking up and denying funding.  It is surprising to find posters here who let these organizations skate.

Al

Hold on a second.  My oldest has been in GS since she was a Brownie, and not a single time have any social issues been brought up to her.  I know this because my wife is involved in the troop.  These girls love to go camping and hiking in the summer, and they volunteer for various local organizations (Planned Parenthood has never been on the list, and if it were, I'd pull my daughter from her troop) in order to learn the value of private volunteerism over government assistance.

Some of you are so far gone in your social conservatism, it really makes me sad to see.  You appear as angry as a liberal screaming about the right to kill a fetus.

Recommended

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:54 am »
My goal was to dissuade the mother from hanging out and harassing everyone entering my favorite restaurant.

It seemed to work.  The lady who had been there with her daughter several consecutive days, did not come again.  I eat breakfast out every day.

Surprising there are so many supporting
a known subversive group here.

Al

So, what was the goal you intended to accomplish with these abrasive and rude actions?  I can understand ranting, but do you think you left a positive memory for the young lady?  Seems to me you made it seem that people like you are mean and judgmental.  Not exactly the way to persuade people to you idea of social norms, is it?   :whistle:

Recommended