Author Topic: School apologizes for Black History Month lunch menu  (Read 747 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
School apologizes for Black History Month lunch menu
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:13:37 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-apologizes-for-black-history-month-lunch-menu/

February 6, 2014, 8:54 PM
School apologizes for Black History Month lunch menu

CONCORD, Calif. - Officials at a Northern California private school are apologizing after a lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month angered some parents and students.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to commemorate the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon on Monday, other students and parents became offended.

KNTV-TV reports that school officials held an assembly Wednesday to discuss the issue and also sent a letter apologizing to parents.

Principal Nancy Libby wrote that the items were taken off of the menu and that the school doesn't perpetrate racial stereotypes. Libby also wrote the school will hold a diversity assembly.

A school spokeswoman said Thursday that there was a communications breakdown and the menu was planned and publicized without administrative knowledge or permission.
AP
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: School apologizes for Black History Month lunch menu
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 02:35:37 pm »
Are Germans offended by a menu of brats and beer?  Italians by pasta?  Hillbillies by beans and cornbread?  Why would good food offend anyone?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »
I'm a semi-educated Southern redneck-hillbilly-hick and I proudly eat grits, cornbread, beans, greens, etc.  Serve 'em every day and laugh at me while I eat them if you're so inclined, I don't give a rat's rear end.  I draw the line at chitlin's, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:45:39 pm by rb224315 »
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 03:04:18 pm »
I'm a semi-educated Southern redneck-hillbilly-hick and I proudly eat grits, cornbread, beans, greens, etc.  Serve 'em every day and laugh at me while I eat them if you're so inclined, I don't give a rat's rear end.  I draw the line at chitlin's, though.

Hear!  Hear!  Oh, and some chicken and dumplins' too!  I'm with you on the chitlins - I did try them once, and they taste like what you think they would.

:3:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:19 pm »
....with a side order of chitlins?  :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »
When I was working for a campus dining service and the time came for a Black History Month celebration, our black food service workers weren't the least bit offended to prepare ham hocks, greens and the like.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:16:30 pm »
The foods you guys mentioned were fixed at our home as well. I still use ham hocks when making bean soup. If blacks are so embarrassed by the foods they eat, maybe they should quit eating it. /s

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »
I just wonder if the students and parents that were "offended" were even black or were they just concern trolls?  (otherwise known as $hit-stirrers)

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:54:19 pm »
I just wonder if the students and parents that were "offended" were even black or were they just concern trolls?  (otherwise known as $hit-stirrers)

You beat me to it!  I was going to say that it was probably white liberals who flipped out or told someone else they should flip out.  White liberals won't be happy until we're all eating tofu and kelp at every meal.  Thank goodness for the 2nd amendment!  They can send the IRS to rifle through my stuff and I might live with it.  Take my bacon/fatback flavored beans & replace them with tofu and I'll show them my rifle(s).  </sarc>
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
You beat me to it!  I was going to say that it was probably white liberals who flipped out or told someone else they should flip out.  White liberals won't be happy until we're all eating tofu and kelp at every meal.  Thank goodness for the 2nd amendment!  They can send the IRS to rifle through my stuff and I might live with it.  Take my bacon/fatback flavored beans & replace them with tofu and I'll show them my rifle(s).  </sarc>

HEY! I like kelp. Carragheen too. Don't you go associating good food with Liberals.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »
White liberals won't be happy until we're all eating tofu and kelp at every meal.

Never understood tofu.  Why must they insist on killing all the beans?  There is something inherently wrong with bean killers.  And that goes for anyone who would eat seaweed too!