Author Topic: California’s Two Droughts  (Read 803 times)

Offline xfreeper

California’s Two Droughts
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »
California’s Two Droughts

Despite recent sporadic rain, California is still in the worst extended drought in its brief recorded history. If more storms do not arrive, the old saying that California could withstand two droughts — but never three — will be tested for the first time in memory.

There is little snow in the state’s towering Sierra Nevada mountains, the source of much of the surface water that supplies the state’s populated center and south. The vast Central Valley aquifer is being tapped as never before, as farms and municipalities deepen wells and boost pump size. Too many straws are now competing to suck out the last drops at the bottom of the collective glass.

More at LINK: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/370425/californias-two-droughts-victor-davis-hanson#!

Offline xfreeper

Re: California’s Two Droughts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:12:09 pm »
This has the potential to get very ugly. There simply is not enough water to go around and it looks as though the supplies are going to continue to dwindle at least until next rain season

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »
Any noises about building some desalinization plants?

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:37:48 pm »
Constantly under discussion for years. Probably never going to be a significant source of water in the state

One recent take: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/13/news/la-ol-ocean-water-desalination-20131112
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:41:23 pm by xfreeper »

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:40:38 pm »
Constantly under discussion for years. Probably never going to be a significant source of water in the state

One recent take: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/13/news/la-ol-ocean-water-desalination-20131112

From the sound of it, it's really just a matter of cost, and it sounds as if the cost of water is likely to start taking off in California sooner rather than later, so my guess is that it's just a matter of time before they start cropping up.

In terms of the main by-product, brine, couldn't that be used as a source for marketable salt?  Certainly the stuff could be used in the winter to melt ice, if nothing else.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
In terms of the main by-product, brine, couldn't that be used as a source for marketable salt?  Certainly the stuff could be used in the winter to melt ice, if nothing else.

Not much of a demand in the SW.
Cost is one factor but nothing develops quickly in CA. A myriad of regulations and the usual lawsuits from greens or other opponents is something that is difficult and very time consuming to work through

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:54:41 pm »

Not much of a demand in the SW.
Cost is one factor but nothing develops quickly in CA. A myriad of regulations and the usual lawsuits from greens or other opponents is something that is difficult and very time consuming to work through

I'm thinking more about the possibilities of marketing the brine to the midwest and the northeast.  For example, I believe that they now use a liquid brine that's put down just before it starts snowing in order to get a jumpstart on clearing the roads.  I have no idea where that brine comes from, but it suggests to me that maybe the brine from a desalination plant could, with only a little extra filtering, be sold for use that way.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
In my city there is a proposed plant, to be built by Poseidon, next to an existing natural gas fueled electric generating facility (AES).

Down the coast there is another proposed desal plant in Carlsbad. Yet others in Florida, Mexico, Brazil, others too.

http://poseidonwater.com/our_projects/all_projects

Much resistance from the usual environmental alarmists, including Surfrider. The environmentalists routinely exaggerate and the other side is always backed by solid science.

Since I have lived in the same town for 46 years, with a background in oil, energy, construction, etc. I have followed several cases.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:56:58 pm »
In my city there is a proposed plant, to be built by Poseidon, next to an existing natural gas fueled electric generating facility (AES).

Down the coast there is another proposed desal plant in Carlsbad. Yet others in Florida, Mexico, Brazil, others too.

http://poseidonwater.com/our_projects/all_projects

Much resistance from the usual environmental alarmists, including Surfrider. The environmentalists routinely exaggerate and the other side is always backed by solid science.

Since I have lived in the same town for 46 years, with a background in oil, energy, construction, etc. I have followed several cases.

Is the mood turning toward the pro desalination side or away from it as time goes on?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 09:51:26 pm »

They take energy and California is importing it's energy due to the greenies, if they would allow fracking and develop their natural gas then desalinization would be affordable, but right now it is so energy expensive people wouldn't be able to afford the water.  They built a plant over ten years ago on the AZ/CA border and they only run it periodically to make sure it still works - too expensive to run 24/7
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776