Author Topic: Common Core: new name for capitalist ed reform (even communists don't like it)  (Read 331 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:58:27 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Typical of a leftist.  To give credit, he accurately identifies one of the really big problems - the lack of even basic skills amongst poor children - and then proceeds to go over the cliff looking for the wrong bogeymen to blame.  Poor childrens' lack of basic skills has nothing to do with Common Core and everything to do with the impoverished homes and neighborhoods these children grow up in, and that, in turn, has everything to do with the fact that most in their communities, including in particular their parents, put no stock in learning, haven't many basic skills themselves, and - most importantly - are taught (about the only learning they actually get - that they are nothing but victims of a racist culture and that their poverty has nothing to do with them or how they conduct themselves.

Nothing like a leftist to miss the most obvious of facts in pursuit of his favorite political agenda.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
I grew up in a pretty darn poor household, to be sure, and was perfectly able to learn. Through elementary school, I had some of the best grades in my class. (I had some serious disturbances in middle school that derailed me.)

Why, then, is there a gap between achievement of rich people and those of poor people? Could it be corruption, nepotism, favoritism? You bet! I saw the well-connected in my high school constantly get the benefits of retaken tests and outright grade inflation.

Fix the corruption, and you start to fix the achievement gap.

The two other major factors are culture and a certain other unmentionable. In the inner cities, the culture opposes education. On native reservations, they still preach resentment of having to learn English.

The SKILLS gap, on the other hand, requires the employers to concede that their human resources departments are failing them. This idea that you can get employees ready for the job on Day One by somehow finding this magic formula that finds these needles in the haystack is rubbish. Employees are never ready Day One because every job is different. Training is part of the process. If you don't have the skills you need in the employment pool, you need to reach into the pool and train them with those skills.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
I grew up in a pretty darn poor household, to be sure, and was perfectly able to learn. Through elementary school, I had some of the best grades in my class. (I had some serious disturbances in middle school that derailed me.)

Why, then, is there a gap between achievement of rich people and those of poor people? Could it be corruption, nepotism, favoritism? You bet! I saw the well-connected in my high school constantly get the benefits of retaken tests and outright grade inflation.

Fix the corruption, and you start to fix the achievement gap.

The two other major factors are culture and a certain other unmentionable. In the inner cities, the culture opposes education. On native reservations, they still preach resentment of having to learn English.

The SKILLS gap, on the other hand, requires the employers to concede that their human resources departments are failing them. This idea that you can get employees ready for the job on Day One by somehow finding this magic formula that finds these needles in the haystack is rubbish. Employees are never ready Day One because every job is different. Training is part of the process. If you don't have the skills you need in the employment pool, you need to reach into the pool and train them with those skills.

fair enough; however, no amount of art class or social studies will make up for a basic competency in mathmatics and writing when it comes to getting a job.  Other than museums, no employer really cares about your views on art or social criticism, but they do care about employees who understand that the employer only has enough profit to pay wages and bonuses if revenues exceed expenses, and that the employees of a business where expenses exceed revenues are sooner than later out of a job.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf