Author Topic: Syria's Assad making gains, Kerry admits  (Read 506 times)

SPQR

Syria's Assad making gains, Kerry admits
« on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:39 am »
US Secretary of State John Kerry admits Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is making gains on the ground, but denies US policy in Syria was failing.

"It's fair to say that Assad has improved his position a little bit, yes. But he's still not winning. This is a stalemate," Kerry told CNN television in an interview.

He was adamant, however, that America's policy had not failed in the war-torn country, despite a mounting death toll in the three-year conflict.

"The policy in Syria is just very challenging and very difficult," Kerry added.

Earlier this week, the State Department denied reports Kerry told US lawmakers in a private meeting that it was time to change strategy in Syria, where some 136,000 people have died and millions have fled their homes.

"I don't want to make any excuse whatsoever. We want this to move faster. We want it to do better," Kerry said.

"But the point I'm making is that diplomacy is tough, slogging, slow work and hard work."

January marked the deadliest month so far in the conflict with some 6,000 dead, and Kerry said the United States was "always in the process of re-evaluating whether there's more we can do, should do."

US President Barack Obama has so far refused to provide heavy weaponry to the moderate rebels battling to topple Assad, amid fears it could fall into the hands of militant groups flooding into the country.

Kerry pledged the administration would work with Congress as well as internally to come up with ways to push the Russians to use their influence on Assad in order to improve conditions on the ground.

And the top US diplomat, who has in the past advocated a more robust US policy on Syria, warned that "we don't have years" to find a way to end the war.

The United States is providing non-lethal support to the rebels, such as body armour, communications equipment and night-vision goggles.

"I don't want to go into details, I'm not free to go into all the details, but I will say to you that the president has taken an aggressive position," Kerry said.

He also pointed to a deal hammered out with Russia on eliminating Syria's chemical weapons stock as "a significant milestone" in getting rid of the "grotesque tool" the Assad regime had used against its own people

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/02/06/syrias-assad-making-gains-kerry-admits

Oceander

Re: Syria's Assad making gains, Kerry admits
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 05:38:41 am »
Thank God - and Putin - we didn't get-boots-on-the-ground involved in Syria because we'd be facing another Vietnam-like quagmire.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:31 am »
Thank God - and Putin - we didn't get-boots-on-the-ground involved in Syria because we'd be facing another Vietnam-like quagmire.

Well the bad part is the Jihadists will come back better trained...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:12:40 am »

yep...we shoulda nuked the bastards from orbit...its the only way to be sure.......

:beer: