Author Topic: Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps  (Read 609 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps

A federal judge in Missouri ruled this week held that drivers have a First Amendment right to flash their headlights to warn other motorists of nearby police and speed traps.

The order by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Autrey in St. Louis on Monday stems from a lawsuit filed by Ellisville resident Michael Elli. In 2012, Elli flashed his headlights to warn oncoming vehicles of a radar set up by police in the town of Ellisville.

A flash of headlights is a common way motorists communicate to oncoming drivers of either a dangerous situation or the presence of police — in essence, a warning to slow down.

An officer saw the flash and pulled over Elli, who could have faced a fine of up to $1,000 if convicted. Elli, was accused of "[f]lashing lights on certain vehicles . . . warning of RADAR ahead," according to court papers obtained by The Wall Street Journal.

He faced a fine up to $1,000 in addition to points on his license, according to the report.

The city later dropped the charge, but the American Civil Liberties Union sued on Elli's behalf anyway, claiming the arrest violated his First Amendment right to free speech.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/05/federal-judge-rules-drivers-allowed-to-warn-other-motorists-speed-traps/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

cool.......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

I flash my headlights for drivers. I was taught that cops are on the roads to show their presence so that people will slow down. Flashing headlights slows them down. I'm doing the cops a service. Of course, they are hypocrites and like to give tickets, but to hell with them.

Offline aligncare

Speeding tickets are a revenue stream. Nothing less.

Online DCPatriot

I flash my headlights for drivers. I was taught that cops are on the roads to show their presence so that people will slow down. Flashing headlights slows them down. I'm doing the cops a service. Of course, they are hypocrites and like to give tickets, but to hell with them.

As far as I'm concerned, given the quantity of speed cameras in our jurisdiction...and red light camera....and lately "white line encroachment cameras at intersections",
they have no business being out there with radar on the side of the road.

Bassturds.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If anyone thinks this is going to stop a cop from giving you a ticket, then you're more stoned than I am.

Tell a cop about a federal judge in Missouri while he's writing the ticket and he will laugh at you, and tell you, "Tell it to the judge, bub."

"BTW", he will ask, "Why are you holding your butt cheeks so tight?" "What are you hiding?"

And of course they are always going to ask if you happen to have a dog in the car or at home, while reaching for their pistol. 
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

As far as I'm concerned, given the quantity of speed cameras in our jurisdiction...and red light camera....and lately "white line encroachment cameras at intersections",
they have no business being out there with radar on the side of the road.

Bassturds.

A man's car in Washington DC was caught speeding on camera.  He reasoned the government has to provide evidence that it was actually him driving, it’s their burden of proof. Just because they got pictures of his car doesn’t mean he was driving. So, in response to the ticket he received in in the mail he sent them back the following letter:

To Whom it May Concern,

I received a letter claiming I committed a violation of a speeding law in the District of Columbia on 04/21/2012. As per the instructions, I am writing to plead ‘not guilty’ to this charge. Although this option is said to result in this matter going to court; it is my suggestion that the charges simply be dropped. This suggestion comes out of respect for tax payers, and my request that their hard-earned money not be wasted in such proceedings. As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.

Sincerely,

Nathan Cox
United States Army Veteran

Six months later he received a notice that the charges had been dropped.   13291

Online DCPatriot

A man's car in Washington DC was caught speeding on camera.  He reasoned the government has to provide evidence that it was actually him driving, it’s their burden of proof. Just because they got pictures of his car doesn’t mean he was driving. So, in response to the ticket he received in in the mail he sent them back the following letter:

To Whom it May Concern,

I received a letter claiming I committed a violation of a speeding law in the District of Columbia on 04/21/2012. As per the instructions, I am writing to plead ‘not guilty’ to this charge. Although this option is said to result in this matter going to court; it is my suggestion that the charges simply be dropped. This suggestion comes out of respect for tax payers, and my request that their hard-earned money not be wasted in such proceedings. As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.

Sincerely,

Nathan Cox
United States Army Veteran

Six months later he received a notice that the charges had been dropped.   13291

That may happen as a result of a 'first' offense.

I doubt they would treat a serial offender in the same manner.

Offline raml

California twice sent me notices of parking tickets for cities me nor my car had never even been in. I had to send proof that I had been working that day and that my car was my only transportation and that no one else had it that day. I lived 25 miles from work so had to have transportation no buses could have gotten me to work you needed a vehicle. That is the only state that I lived in that tried that little scam. My children were grown at the time and my 3 boys were in the service stationed all over the world and my daughter lived in Michigan and I never ever lent my car to anyone else ever. Once the description of the car didn't match the license plate and since me and only me had that plate on my vehicle not the one described and had since it had been made you would have thought they would have checked out things better when they discovered this instead of issuing a ticket first but California is the stupidest state in this country. The meter maids must of course made a stupid mistake on the plate number typical of California state employees.