Author Topic: Olympics Coverage and Articles  (Read 10445 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Olympics Coverage and Articles
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:37 pm »
I had pink eye a couple of years ago and my eyes looked worse than that...Doc gave me eye drops and within a few days my eyes looked normal again...so not sure what he has or what he's being treated with....Ruskie doctors?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »
I had pink eye a couple of years ago and my eyes looked worse than that...Doc gave me eye drops and within a few days my eyes looked normal again...so not sure what he has or what he's being treated with....Ruskie doctors?

Must be getting even worse, I heard Matt Lauer will fill in for him tonight.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05:48 am »
As an aside, my late father (a TV exec) knew Bob Costas when Bob had one of his first professional sports jobs in St. Louis. According to my mother, Bob was one of the very few people in the TV business my father ever actively disliked. He was the most incredibly arrogant and obnoxious 20-something my father ever met.   ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:08 am »
As an aside, my late father (a TV exec) knew Bob Costas when Bob had one of his first professional sports jobs in St. Louis. According to my mother, Bob was one of the very few people in the TV business my father ever actively disliked. He was the most incredibly arrogant and obnoxious 20-something my father ever met.   ^-^

Doesn't surprise me, M.  I can't remember when he hasn't come across as a pompous jerk.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 05:44:35 am »
The Phoenix news person in Sochi said the problem with Costas eyes they don't think (now) it is pink eye - it seems to be something much worse and he can't even see out of both eyes right now.. no doctors of any worth in Russia so they are taking close up pics of his eyes and sending them to doctors in New York to figure out how to treat him.....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 12:39:29 pm »
The Phoenix news person in Sochi said the problem with Costas eyes they don't think (now) it is pink eye - it seems to be something much worse and he can't even see out of both eyes right now.. no doctors of any worth in Russia so they are taking close up pics of his eyes and sending them to doctors in New York to figure out how to treat him.....
It's just me, but I think I'd fly my entire body to NYC to be checked out in person.  :shrug:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »
It's just me, but I think I'd fly my entire body to NYC to be checked out in person.  :shrug:

I thought the same thing.

Offline flowers

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 04:27:15 pm »
I thought the same thing.
My first thought as well.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 07:28:55 pm »

Wouldn't you think someone at NBC would connect the puzzle pieces and wonder why he can't get proper medical care in Russia?

Offline flowers

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
Wouldn't you think someone at NBC would connect the puzzle pieces and wonder why he can't get proper medical care in Russia?
Maybe they can't stand him either?  :whistle:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:00 pm »
I hear bottled water is selling in Sochi for over $14 American, while the local rotgut vodka is running about .18 cents......

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »
I hear bottled water is selling in Sochi for over $14 American, while the local rotgut vodka is running about .18 cents......
So maybe Shortcake's eyes are red for some reason other than infection?

Offline happyg

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:52 pm »
A few years back, we had a couple clients who had pinkeye caused by STDS. Maybe Costas ran into some hot Russian Babe? You never know...  :nono:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:49 am »
With the way the Americans have performed so far, they'd have been far better off boycotting. At least they wouldn't have been such an international embarrassment. Disgusting. Every single one of our medal hopefuls has laid an egg.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 02:35:19 am »
Come to think of it, that would be a good story.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2014, 03:15:49 am »
So maybe Shortcake's eyes are red for some reason other than infection?

yah...I hear that cheap vodka makes for some wild tootbrushing and mouthwash parties......

:beer:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:16:11 am by Chieftain »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2014, 04:17:06 am »
With the way the Americans have performed so far, they'd have been far better off boycotting. At least they wouldn't have been such an international embarrassment. Disgusting. Every single one of our medal hopefuls has laid an egg.

They have been pathetic.... I'm watching, but I do like it better when we win something...  The Russian skaters are definitely back on top.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »
They have been pathetic.... I'm watching, but I do like it better when we win something...  The Russian skaters are definitely back on top.
At least the men's hockey team is living up to expectations.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
Call me a bit more optimistic, but it’s the Russians that should be concerned when it comes to the medal count.

Germany                   6 Gold
Canada      4 Gold
Norway      4 Gold
United States   4 Gold   (total 10 medals)
Netherlands   4 Gold
Switzerland   3 Gold
Russia      2 Gold   (total 9 medals)

And yesterday the US swept men ski slopestyle with Gold, Silver, and Bronze.   Yes our big name hopefuls have not lived up to expectations, but we’re still staying ahead of the  favored Russians, at least for now.    I would expect to see them take more Gold when we get to the Ice Skating finals
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »
Track worker struck by bobsled ahead of race at Sochi
By Associated Press
February 13, 2014 | 8:07am

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia — A forerunning sled struck a worker near the finish line of the track being used for sliding races at the Sochi Olympics, just before the start of Thursday’s two-man bobsled training at the Sanki Sliding Center.

Training was delayed for about 35 minutes before getting underway. Officials did not immediately release any information about the worker’s condition, though an ambulance was seen leaving the track shortly after the incident.

A work crew was seen repairing a light fixture that was suspended several feet over the ice surface, as well as picking up pieces of debris from the finish area. Olympic athletes remained in the start area, well away from the crash location, during the delay.

The International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Forerunning sleds are used before training and competition sessions to assess track conditions and make sure the facility is safe for racing. Also, people in the vicinity of the track are almost always alerted that a sled is in the track through public-address announcements, though it was unclear why the worker struck Thursday was unaware that the session was beginning.

In 2005, US skeleton racer Noelle Pikus-Pace was struck by a bobsled in the outrun of a track in Canada, shattering a leg and ultimately causing her to miss the 2006 Turin Olympics because of the injury. And the Sanki track was designed with several safety initiatives in mind after Georgian slider Nodar Kumaritashvili died in a luge training accident at the Whistler Sliding Center just hours before the start of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

Offline happyg

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »
Evgeni Plushenko out of the men’s figure-skating event for medical reasons

Stephanie Myles
Russian skating icon Evgeni Plushenko came out for the warmup in the third flight of skaters for the men's short program.

He revved up for his triple axel, bailed out of it in mid-air, landed and grabbed his back.

After a brief word with the event referee, he apologetically raised both hands to the crowd that had given him a huge ovation as he took the ice, and walked off.

For the 31-year-old who has had 12 surgeries, including recent back surgery, the Olympic comeback was over before it began. And the air went out of the figure-skating venue like a pricked balloon.

It's likely he already knew he wouldn't be able to go, but suited up to at least salute the crowd and hope for a miracle.

Plushenko had been erratic in his presence at practices this week, undergoing a whole lot of treatment on his back.

In practice Wednesday, he reportedly fell twice – hard. Whether he would have even been able to muddle through a program was sort of beside the point. It seemed fairly obvious he wouldn't be able to skate at a high-enough level to even be a factor.

It's a break for Canadian Patrick Chan and his two Japanese rivals, who are to skate later on in a field of 30 skaters.

But it's a huge disappointment for Plushenko and the Russian people. He was the only one who had any shot at a medal.

But there will always be his efforts in the team event – and that quadruple-triple combination he showed off in the short program.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/yevgeny-plyushchenko-men-figure-skating-event-medical-reasons-161108653.html

Offline happyg

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 06:06:21 pm »
Corruption Sting Follows Indian Athletes to Sochi

NEW DELHI — The taint of corruption followed India's Olympic athletes everywhere in Sochi. They were not allowed to enter the Olympic stadium marching under the Indian flag. They were warned the national anthem would not play if they won any medals.

But the athletes had done nothing wrong. Their administrative exile was the result of ethics violations by the Indian Olympic Association, which had elected two corruption tainted officials as its leaders. Although the IOC executive board reinstated the Indian Olympic body Tuesday, five days after the games began the episode laid bare India's intractable problems with corruption on an international stage.

"The whole world is watching and when the Indian flag doesn't fly, people know that it's because of corruption and it's not a nice image for the country," said luger Shiva Keshavan, India's top winter sports athlete. "Symbolism is really important at the Olympic Games," he told The Associated Press in Sochi.

The bureaucratic bumbling had all the makings of a national scandal, touching on resonant issues of national pride and prestige. But despite the sting of embarrassment for the athletic community, the episode has failed to stir up much outrage among ordinary Indians.

The muted response stems, in part, from India's virtually non-existent presence at the Winter Olympics. It is likely the public sense of embarrassment would have been greater had the controversy broken out before a summer Olympics.

India has never won a medal at the Winter Olympics, and the three Indians competing this year at Sochi — a luger and two skiers — are not household names. Keshavan finished 37th out of 39 competitors in Sunday's men's singles event for luge.

In a country where cricket is the pastime of choice, and where temperatures are scorching for much of the year, winter sports have never gained much traction here.

"People haven't been bothered much about the developments on the Olympics front," said T.S. Sampath, a businessman in New Delhi and an avid sports lover. "It's not been very important for me even though I'm a sports lover because I don't think our performance level is good at the (winter) Olympics."

The quiet reaction to the Olympic snub is starkly different from the national mood ahead of the Commonwealth Games of 2010, which deeply embarrassed India on its own turf. India's preparations for the games were seen as an international humiliation, with filthy athletes' housing, a collapsed pedestrian bridge, security worries, corruption accusations and even an outbreak of dengue fever.

Still, the Olympic snafu was no small matter, particularly as the country tries to showcase its clout as a superpower.

"It's a big disgrace to be suspended because of any reason, more so because we were seen to have tainted officials," said Randhir Singh, a member of the IOC and a former secretary-general of India's national Olympic body. "It's a matter of shame if a country's athletes are unable to participate under the national flag, irrespective of how many medals you're expected to win."

More of article at link:
Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmaxworld.com/GlobalTalk/India-Taint-of-Corruption/2014/02/13/id/552598#ixzz2tE6z2ybV

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/american-abbott-falls-during-short-program-finishes-routine-021314

American Abbott falls during short program, finishes routine
Peter Schrager
FOX Sports

FEB 13, 2014 1:03p ET
Paul Chiasson / CP

Jeremy Abbott crashes into the boards after falling during the men's short program.
SOCHI, Russia   — 

This was supposed to be American figure skater Jeremy Abbott's Olympics. Twenty-eight years old and looking to avenge a disappointing ninth-place finish in Vancouver in 2010, this year's great hope of American men's figure skating had it all lined up for a huge Sochi experience. 2010 gold medalist Evan Lysacek withdrew from the Games, opening up a door for Abbott to steal the show in Russia. The Team Event. The Short Program. The Free Skate. He'd ace them all, as he'd done all year, and he'd finish his Olympic career as the next American figure skating legend.

Alas, it hasn't gone as planned.

Abbott awkwardly fell and finished in seventh place during the men's short portion of the team event earlier this week. On Thursday, he started his short program by immediately stumbling and falling hard on his right hip on the first quadruple jump of his program. Abbott, who'd endured a week of reporters asking questions about his ability to handle pressure and the spotlight, spent a solid 12 seconds lying on the ice in pain. As Abbott lay nestled against a padded wall, the Iceberg Arena crowd let out a collective gasp. When Abbott finally rolled over, he grabbed his hip, gingerly rose to his feet, and dutifully finished what remained of an abridged routine.

Abbott rebounded well, finishing with a respectable score of 72.58.

He landed a triple lutz-triple toe combination, followed by a clean triple axel. But the damage had already been done. After nearly 30 seconds of tense silence in the crowd, the mostly Russian fan base responded to Abbott's finish with buzzing horns and the waving of Russian and American flags.

Thursday wasn't Abbott's night. Truthfully, this hasn't been his week. The 2014 Sochi Games haven't been what was long hoped for.

Minutes later, 19-year-old American Jason Brown took to the ice with little fanfare or expectations. He finished his short program with an 86.00, his career best, sixteen points ahead his American counterpart, Abbott.

Brown, a long shot to make the team six months ago, currently sits in sixth place heading into Friday with a legitimate chance at a bronze medal.19-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu (Japan) leads the men with a 101.45 score. Patrick Chan (Canada) currently sits in second with a 97.52 and Javier Fernandez (Spain) is in third with a 86.98.

Brown and Abbott will both skate Friday evening. If it's Abbott's last time on Olympic ice, as has been rumored, it could be a chance at redemption. A medal, however, looks to be out of the question.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:39 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/02/13/Sochi-2014-US-Men-s-Hockey-Team-Beat-Slovakia-7-1

Sochi 2014: US Men's Hockey Crushes Slovakia, 7-1

by Mary Chastain 13 Feb 2014, 8:06 AM PDT

The US men's hockey team showed the world they want the gold medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. They annihilated Slovakia 7-1 on Thursday despite predictions of a close game.

Both teams played hard in the first period, but John Carlson put Team USA first on the scoreboard with a goal at 14:27 in the opening period to make it 1-0. The Americans received a small scare when Slovakia's Tomas Tatar scored 24 seconds into the second period. The team appeared offsides, but it was not called.

That motivated the Americans and they immediately took over.

The men scored six goals in less than fourteen minutes. Ryan Kesler, David Backes, Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown each contributed a goal. Paul Stastny scored two goals in the victory.

Halfway through the period, Slovakia replaced goalie Jaroslav Halak with Peter Budaj. Halak made 20 saves out of 25 shots and Budaj saved six of eight shots.

Though the US team scored six goals in the second frame, their shots on goal outpaced the Slovakians just 16 to 13 for the period. Slovakia slowed down the US in the third period and both teams remained scoreless after firing six shots on goal, respectively, for the final period. The American team out shot Slovakia 33-23 for the contest.

US goalie Jonathan Quick saved 22 of 23 shots in his Olympic debut. 

The big test for America comes on Saturday when they play Russia.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:59 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/plushenko-dismissed-as-invalid-by-russian-politician-021414

Plushenko dismissed as 'invalid' by Russian politician
FOX Sports

FEB 14, 2014 12:26p ET

Ivan Sekretarev / AP

Evgeni Plushenko of Russia prior to pulling out of the men's short program.

Evgeni Plushenko's abrupt decision to drop out of the men's individual event continues to send some of his countrymates into a tizzy.

One Russian politician lashed out at the Russian skating star for putting his country to "shame" and called him an "invalid," questioning whether or not the heavily-decorated Olympian should have been included on the Sochi team at all.

Plushenko made headlines when he was placed on the Russian team over Maxim Kovtun, 18, the actual national champion. The four-time Olympian helped the Russians secure the gold medal in the figure skating team event.

But since Plushenko withdrew from the men's individual event after complaining of spinal pain during the warmup, politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky said he brought "shame" to his country.

"Maxim Kovtun is shoved aside and this invalid has brought shame upon us," Russian politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky was quoted as saying in the Toronto Sun.

Zhirinovsky also said Plushenko's withdrawal was "dishonorable" and called for a law prohibiting any Russians from competing in more than two Olympics, according to a Yahoo report. 

"Two Olympics and get lost. Let the youngsters have a go," Zhirinovsky reportedly said to Russian media. "Plushenko is an invalid."

Though the proposed legislation would also prohibit the likes of Alexander Ovechkin from also competing in future Olympic events.