Author Topic: Obama administration creates 'climate hubs' to combat extreme weather  (Read 819 times)

Offline flowers

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-administration-creates-climate-hubs-to-combat-extreme-weather/article/2543462?custom_click=rss

Administration officials Wednesday will announce another executive action to implement President Obama's State of the Union agenda, unveiling the creation of regional “climate hubs” to help agriculture workers respond to severe weather conditions.

“On the heels of passage of the farm bill, the administration will take executive action to help farmers, ranchers and rural communities combat climate change and adapt to extreme weather and other damage it causes,” a White House official said.

“In his State of the Union, the president pledged to continue working with Congress and taking action on his own to deal with the effects of climate change,” the official added.

Obama has already made climate change a centerpiece of his executive agenda, bypassing Congress to develop stricter regulations on carbon emissions from power plants. Such action stoked GOP charges of executive overreach, a theme conservatives have picked up again in the wake of a series of new directives from the White House in recent days.

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack Wednesday will tout the centers as a way to “address increasing risks such as fires, invasive pests, devastating floods and crippling droughts on a regional basis.”

The initiative would help farmers, ranchers and forest landowners “adjust their resource method,” the White House official added.

The hubs will be located in Ames, Iowa; Durham, N.H.; Raleigh, N.C.; Fort Collins, Colo.; El Reno, Okla.; Corvallis, Ore.; and Las Cruces, N.M.

The administration did not provide information about funding for the program ahead of the announcement Wednesday.

Congress on Tuesday passed a long-term farm bill that costs $100 billion annually over five years -- lawmakers had been divided over how to address issues such as food stamp funding and other subsidies.

Obama will visit Michigan State University on Friday to speak about the importance of the farm bill to the U.S. economy and sign the legislation into law

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Obama administration creates 'climate hubs' to combat extreme weather
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »
I thought that's what the County Extension Agencies were for.  This is getting way ridiculous and over-reaching.  We won't recognize the country in three years. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:08 pm »
This is about as nebulous a mission statement I have ever read.  We could be paying people to perform Native American rain dances, and Cowboy Poets to write mournful sonnets, wishing for rain...

More symbolism over substance, and one more damned thing that will have to be undone by the next President....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:12:01 pm »
Just trying to get footholds into rural America with bribes.

Remember, the Democrats want one thing-- domination. These "climate hubs" are designed only to curry favor for the government.

May I also note that bribery is an impeachable offense.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »
I thought that's what the County Extension Agencies were for.  This is getting way ridiculous and over-reaching.  We won't recognize the country in three years.

That is exactly what they are for.

Typical of the Left. Take a system that works well and has for many years. Duplicate it with one that is untested, costs more and has broader powers.

I have been honored to speak with several county agents and they know their stuff, though they are frequently at loggerheads with the EPA. The second part of the sentence is the key part.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:38:11 am »
That is exactly what they are for.

Typical of the Left. Take a system that works well and has for many years. Duplicate it with one that is untested, costs more and has broader powers.

I have been honored to speak with several county agents and they know their stuff, though they are frequently at loggerheads with the EPA. The second part of the sentence is the key part.

The Extension Agency isn't just for farmers either.  An agent came out when something was afflicting one of my trees and I usually get them to test my garden soil every year - a service they do for free for residents of the county.  We don't need another damn government agency! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:49:16 pm »
Will the hubs be "shovel ready?"

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:59:37 pm »

Depends how much snow you get.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:42 pm »
I think it may have more to do with the amount of B.S. :seeya:

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:56 pm »
The myth of the independent family farm has been just that - a myth - for decades now.  What we have now - and it's completely bipartisan - is a practical agricultural collective, not a market-based agriculture industry.  If/when entitlement reform is ever seriously addressed, the entitlements lavished on farms and farmers should be under exacting scrutiny.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:37:26 pm »

Depends how much snow you get.
They'd better bring salt, because we have a layer of ice over everything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »

Its so bad here it reminds of when I was a kid.  I used to walk 10 miles, uphill, to school in my bare feet with snow waist high.  Thank goodness global warming has cut down on the harshness of winter. :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

Sorry, Ma'am. Salt is a different union.