Author Topic: Internments can happen again, Scalia warns  (Read 765 times)

Offline flowers

Internments can happen again, Scalia warns
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:14:07 pm »
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/hawaiinews/20140204_Internments_can_happen_again_Scalia_warns.html?id=243454461

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia told law students at the University of Hawaii law school Monday that the nation's highest court was wrong to uphold the internment of Japa­nese-Americans during World War II but that he wouldn't be surprised if the court issued a similar ruling during a future conflict.

Scalia was responding to a question about the court's 1944 decision in Kore­ma­tsu v. United States, which upheld the convictions of Gordon Hira­ba­ya­shi and Fred Kore­ma­tsu for violating an order to report to an internment camp.

"Well, of course, Kore­ma­tsu was wrong. And I think we have repudiated in a later case. But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again," Scalia told students and faculty during a lunchtime question-and-answer session.

Scalia cited a Latin expression meaning "In times of war, the laws fall silent."

"That's what was going on — the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot. That's what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It's no justification but it is the reality," he said.

Offline happyg

Re: Internments can happen again, Scalia warns
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:33 pm »
He's right. Only this time, if Obama has anything to say about it, it will be white Americans and black conservatives who will be the victims.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:46 pm »
Of course it can. Probably will, too.

I do have a related question, though. You hear about the FEMA camps from time to time. Has anyone actually seen one? No one I know has, other than the very temporary ones set up for disaster relief. I am really trying to chase that rumor down.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:40:05 am »

I do have a related question, though. You hear about the FEMA camps from time to time. Has anyone actually seen one? No one I know has, other than the very temporary ones set up for disaster relief. I am really trying to chase that rumor down.

I can happen again.. I wouldn't take any stock when hear rumor about a FEMA camp.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01:26 am »

There is supposed to be one locally, though it was a medium security prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnMT8yBjRw
http://www.thebrennerbrief.com/2013/08/04/fare-we-looking-at-a-fema-internment-camp-in-ohio/
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2269065/pg1

Those are a few of the stories about lima camps. LCI (Lima Corrections Institute) was closed around 10 years ago by then Gov. Taft to save money. The unions were part of the reason. ACI is a medium security prison in the same area, and is the picture used most as being a FEMA camp.

There are railroads because Lima used to be a RR city, and still has a lot of trains going through. The pit that is talked about is actually an unused stone quarry, and yes, a RR track goes behind it. It is off Interstate 75 and everyone can see it as they pass. It's been there forever, it seems.

Any prison can be turned into a FEMA camp, so some of the stories are bogus.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:43:36 am »
In WWII Roosevelt was told by Hoover the Japanese Americans were no problem, but he needed to win California to win re-election and he knew taking the Japanese out of circulation was the only way he could win the state. Thus they went into internment camps and in 1944 after Roosevelt was re-elected a month later he started making plans to release everyone from the camps. Roosevelt also had a bad habit of locking up his opponents and enemies as did Wilson who actually locked up his political opponent for president and the guy ran for office from jail.   Roosevelt used the IRS to target his enemies and locked on Annenberg in 1940 and won PA because Annenberg was out of the way - using the same methods he used to win CA in 1944.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776