Author Topic: Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play  (Read 1854 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551566/Seahawks-star-Richard-Sherman-says-cracked-Peyton-Mannings-hand-signal-code-Super-Bowl-able-predict-play.html

Controversial defensive corner back Richard Sherman said that he and the other defenders were able to 'crack the code' on Manning's hand signals
Said they figured out which plays went with which hand motions during the first quarter of the Super Bowl
Sherman equated the game to a mental match, saying they were 'playing chess, not checkers' on the field on Sunday
Seattle won 43-8 in a surprisingly low-scoring game for the Broncos

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:23:53 pm by flowers »

Offline Lando Lincoln

Hmmm... I am no expert by any means, but you'd think a seasoned coach or coordinator would see the routes being jumped and adjust.  I wonder what the tape shows? 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's too bad they're so damned stupid to admit it.

It turns an All-Pro Defense into the 1919 Chicago BlackSox.

At the least...it places their stellar play into better perspective.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I watched the game and the Seahawks defense played EXTREMELY well! A little to well in fact!

This seems entirely possible to me! Stranger things have happened!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Hmmm... I am no expert by any means, but you'd think a seasoned coach or coordinator would see the routes being jumped and adjust.  I wonder what the tape shows?

Changing the QB's hand signal system is not something that can be done in the midst of a game! Not possible!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

It's too bad they're so damned stupid to admit it.

It turns an All-Pro Defense into the 1919 Chicago BlackSox.

At the least...it places their stellar play into better perspective.

I'm not sure I agree.  The hand signals are occurring on the field of play and players are adjusting to them.  Not unlike a runner at second base in baseball.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

I'm not sure I agree.  The hand signals are occurring on the field of play and players are adjusting to them.  Not unlike a runner at second base in baseball.

That pass rush SMOTHERED Manning.  He had 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball...at the MOST, the entire game.

It's why there were no long routes completed....there wasn't time.

If they knew ahead of time who the primary receiver was...that makes it even less remarkable.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:17:37 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What Sherman says is very plausible.

If Seattle figured out who the primary long route(s) were and shut them down, Manning had to take the short pass option.  And that led to a huge 8 points for the entire game.

It turned out Manning set a record for completed passes, virtually ALL short.

The defenders covering the long routes were very very good.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

In further reflection, I doubt a hand signal given by the QB a the line of scrimmage will have anything to do with where he's going with the ball.

What exactly are hand signals used for when used by the QB? 

Not a football maven.....

Offline Lando Lincoln

The defenders covering the long routes were very very good.

Well, there is that... and then there is how little time Manning had to throw.  Hand signals had little impact on Seattle's pass rush - most of the time with only the front four.
John Steinbeck

Online NavyCanDo

The UK dailymail ?   When it comes to reporting facts on American Football, Baseball, or NASCAR that is the last place I would look for good sports journalism. Starting out by calling Sherman the “controversial corner” is a good clue to file what follows as super market tabloid crap.    What they seem to imply as cheating is called watching game film. Endless hours of game film.  A good defense is expected to know what play is being called and what it is being changed to if an audible is called and then to react to it.  Its called great defense, It’s not cheating.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online NavyCanDo

I saw a story a week or so ago about how Manning has an uncanny ability to read the defense and then call the play at the line based on what he sees. That’s where Omaha or whatever comes into play. And just like the Seahawks he does this by studying so many hours of film that he knows as much as anyone standing in the defensive huddle about what they were going to do.
When it comes to understanding how Seattle was able to react to Manning’s play calls I think I will put my trust into the NFL Network’s “Playbook”  which breaks down each play, rather than some limey newspaper.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online NavyCanDo

'We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, [ which is their job to do] so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half,' he said.

I would hope they would. That is just one of the many things you look for in watching game film. Yet the Limey newspaper and sour grapes losers reading the story here seem to be implying Seattle was cheating.  Utter nonsense.

Offline truth_seeker

The UK dailymail ?   When it comes to reporting facts on American Football, Baseball, or NASCAR that is the last place I would look for good sports journalism. Starting out by calling Sherman the “controversial corner” is a good clue to file what follows as super market tabloid crap.    What they seem to imply as cheating is called watching game film. Endless hours of game film.  A good defense is expected to know what play is being called and what it is being changed to if an audible is called and then to react to it.  Its called great defense, It’s not cheating.
Totally agree. Stealing signals is okay, too. the US won WWII in both theaters doing just that.

Putting it all together, the defensive backs for Seattle are superb, the line put pressure on Manning, he did complete lots of passes, but 4 turnover killed them.

And detractors say Pete Carroll is merely a college coach !!

Maybe the playoff system needs changing, so SF could have played Seattle in the Super Bowl.

Offline Lando Lincoln

I agree with DCP... Sherman should have kept his mouth shut.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

“controversial corner”
I noticed that right off. I was going to comment on it.

Offline truth_seeker

I agree with DCP... Sherman should have kept his mouth shut.
Bletchley Park and Enigma were kept secret for about 50 years after WWII, together with the Navaho Codetalkers.

Somehow I don't think from one year to the next, a pro football team is going to keep the same signs and signals.

Offline Lando Lincoln

Bletchley Park and Enigma were kept secret for about 50 years after WWII, together with the Navaho Codetalkers.

Somehow I don't think from one year to the next, a pro football team is going to keep the same signs and signals.

My point is that it would have been better to leave it all unsaid.  For classiness, at least.
John Steinbeck

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Right in the ten ring!  I tell people constantly that to get to the Superbowl your whole team has to play their best game of "technical football", and studying tapes to figure out Manning's hand signals is great thinking.  It was clear from the start that the noise had Manning off his game, and he has relied on audibles (Hurry Hurry!, Omaha!, etc) all season long.  Manning had to go to hand signals because the noise was so intense...God love those New Jersey 12th Men....

And like you said in another thread....the last time Manning and the Broncos faced a defense like that was in pre-season when Seattle kicked their asses 40-10.... 

:beer: