Author Topic: "Not even a smidgen of corruption": Obama downplays IRS, other scandals  (Read 558 times)

rangerrebew

‘Not even a smidgen of corruption’: Obama downplays IRS, other scandals

President Obama, in an interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, tried to put behind him the scandals that have hung over his second term, suggesting his administration did not mislead the public on the Benghazi attack and going so far as to say the IRS targeting scandal had “not even a smidgen of corruption.”

Obama addressed concerns over Benghazi, the launch of HealthCare.gov and the IRS, during the interview Sunday before the Super Bowl. He adamantly rejected the suggestion that the IRS was used for political purposes by singling out Tea Party groups seeking tax exemption.

“That’s not what happened,” he said. Rather, he said, IRS officials were confused about how to implement the law governing those kinds of tax-exempt groups.

“There were some bone-headed decisions,” Obama conceded.

But when asked whether corruption, or mass corruption, was at play, he responded: “Not even mass corruption — not even a smidgen of corruption.”

He acknowledged that then-IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman had been to the White House more than 100 times but said he couldn’t recall speaking to him on any of those occasions.

Obama also downplayed the controversy over how the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attacks were described by the administration.

He said he considers any such strike an act of terror and that he was told by then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta at the time only that it was an “attack” — and that the more important issue is whether security lapses have now been fixed.

“All of the security precautions that needed to be taken didn’t happen,” the president said. “The key is that we’ve implemented the reforms that have been recommended.”

He also said his administration didn’t try to “hide the ball” regarding the attacks, in which four Americans were killed including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

“We revealed to the American people exactly what we understood at the time,” the president said.

Obama also claimed that the attackers were made up of a mix of people, some affiliated with terror organizations and others who were just “troublemakers.” A recent report from the Senate Intelligence Committee, though, definitively declared that individuals tied to Al Qaeda groups were involved.

On the rocky launch of the health care exchange system, Obama said he anticipated problems with the rollout of ObamaCare in October, particularly with the HealthCare.gov website because computer programs have glitches.

“But neither I nor anybody else anticipated the degree of problems with HealthCare.gov,” he said.

The president argued that total enrollment is now just about a month behind schedule and that young people, key to making ObamaCare work, are enrolling at a good rate.

He would not answer when asked repeatedly why he kept Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the job.

http://pressall.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/not-even-a-smidgen-of-corruption-obama-downplays-irs-other-scandals-fox-news/

“I try to focus not on the fumbles but on the next play,” he said.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:02:59 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: "Not even a smidgen of corruption": Obama downplays IRS, other scandals
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »
“That’s not what happened,” he said. Rather, he said, IRS officials were confused about how to implement the law governing those kinds of tax-exempt groups.

But when asked whether corruption, or mass corruption, was at play, he responded: “Not even mass corruption — not even a smidgen of corruption.”

Could someone please explain to me why Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th?  And why BOR didn't ask Obama why?  :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:59 pm »
‘Not even a smidgen of corruption’: Obama downplays IRS, other scandals

President Obama, in an interview with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, tried to put behind him the scandals that have hung over his second term, suggesting his administration did not mislead the public on the Benghazi attack and going so far as to say the IRS targeting scandal had “not even a smidgen of corruption.”

Obama addressed concerns over Benghazi, the launch of HealthCare.gov and the IRS, during the interview Sunday before the Super Bowl. He adamantly rejected the suggestion that the IRS was used for political purposes by singling out Tea Party groups seeking tax exemption.

He acknowledged that then-IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman had been to the White House more than 100 times but said he couldn’t recall speaking to him on any of those occasions.

Obama also downplayed the controversy over how the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attacks were described by the administration.

He said he considers any such strike an act of terror and that he was told by then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta at the time only that it was an “attack” — and that the more important issue is whether security lapses have now been fixed.

“All of the security precautions that needed to be taken didn’t happen,” the president said. “The key is that we’ve implemented the reforms that have been recommended.”

He also said his administration didn’t try to “hide the ball” regarding the attacks, in which four Americans were killed including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

“We revealed to the American people exactly what we understood at the time,” the president said.

Obama also claimed that the attackers were made up of a mix of people, some affiliated with terror organizations and others who were just “troublemakers.” A recent report from the Senate Intelligence Committee, though, definitively declared that individuals tied to Al Qaeda groups were involved.

On the rocky launch of the health care exchange system, Obama said he anticipated problems with the rollout of ObamaCare in October, particularly with the HealthCare.gov website because computer programs have glitches.

“But neither I nor anybody else anticipated the degree of problems with HealthCare.gov,” he said.

The president argued that total enrollment is now just about a month behind schedule and that young people, key to making ObamaCare work, are enrolling at a good rate.

He would not answer when asked repeatedly why he kept Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the job.

http://pressall.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/not-even-a-smidgen-of-corruption-obama-downplays-irs-other-scandals-fox-news/

“I try to focus not on the fumbles but on the next play,” he said.

Lying through his teeth from beginning to end and I, for one, expected nothing less! And this morning we get this from Bill O'Reilly!

http://therightscoop.com/bill-oreilly-i-dont-think-obama-is-trying-to-hurt-people-like-the-hard-right-believes/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:24:47 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:40:14 am »
“All of the security precautions that needed to be taken didn’t happen,” the president said

Did he just try to throw Hillary under the bus there?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:34 am »
Did he just try to throw Hillary under the bus there?

Could be!

But the guy does even have a passing acquaintance with the truth on anything!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:55:02 am »
Could someone please explain to me why Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th?  And why BOR didn't ask Obama why?  :shrug:

:thumbsup2:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776