Author Topic: Sunday talk show tip sheet....Feb. 2  (Read 766 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sunday talk show tip sheet....Feb. 2
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:10:46 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=26BD8FF1-3F02-4F6D-BF73-4C0D41D724E2

Sunday talk show tip sheet
By: Tal Kopan
January 31, 2014 02:14 PM EST

“Meet the Press” on NBC

• White House chief of staff Denis McDonough

• Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.)

• Julian Assange, founder, WikiLeaks

• Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs

“Face the Nation” on CBS

• McDonough

• House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.)

• Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani

“This Week” on ABC

• Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), chairman, House Budget Committee

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox

• NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

“State of the Union” on CNN

• Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R)

“Political Capital” on Bloomberg TV

• White House counselor John Podesta

• Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R)

“Newsmakers” on C-SPAN

• Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), chairwoman, Senate Agriculture Committee

“Al Punto” on Univision

• Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.)

• Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli

• Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D), gubernatorial candidate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Sunday talk show tip sheet....Feb. 2
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
Boring....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:58:03 am »
Looks like I'll be sleeping in this Sunday   :laugh:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:04 pm »
Cantor: Obama must build on immigration

By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 9:15 AM EST

President Barack Obama must gain the trust of Republicans and the American people before the House can move forward on immigration reform, House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor says.

“Some things have got to happen, which is the president has got to demonstrate, frankly, the country and the Congress can trust him in implementing the laws,” the Virginia Republican said in an interview for Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Obama, he said, has “selectively enforced” the Affordable Care Act, and “some have raised constitutional questions whether he can even do some things like that.”

“There’s a real question of trust here and … the White House continues to really thumb its nose up, if you will, at the Congress,” Cantor said. “The president in the State of the Union address did it flat out. He said, ‘When Congress doesn't work with me, I'll just go do it myself.’ And again, that's part of the problem in this town and why there's been such a difficult time in getting things done.”

Cantor declined calling the first step in new action on immigration a “trigger,” instead saying that the “prerequisite” is “a sense that the government really is enforcing the immigration laws already on the books” – something he said doesn’t currently exist.

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »
Cantor: ‘Obamacare is on borrowed time’
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |

The end of the Affordable Care Act is within sight, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor says, outlining Republican plans to propose health care legislation later this year.

“In my opinion, Obamacare is on borrowed time,” the Virginia Republican said in an interview for Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “As we begin to see the further growth in terms of implementation of this law, you will see, I believe, more and more people negatively affected. And there's going to be a real problem, a real need for an alternative.”

And that alternative will come from House Republicans this year, Cantor said, drawing on the proposal they put forward back when the ACA first passed.

“There is a consensus about Republican solutions for a healthcare system that works for everybody, which includes those without a job, which includes those who are sick,” he said. House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R-Mich.), Energy and Commerce Chairman Fred Upton (R-Mich.) and Education and Workforce Committee Chairman John Kline (R-Minn.) “are all working on different elements of this that I believe will turn into an alternative for Obamacare.”

Cantor wouldn’t get more specific about the timing for releasing the plan, deflecting when host Major Garrett asked if it would come this spring.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
W.H.'s McDonough vague on Keystone next steps
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |

White House chief of staff Denis McDonough is offering few clues on how and when President Barack Obama will make a decision on the Keystone XL pipeline, and isn’t showing his hand on the president’s interpretation of the State Department’s latest analysis of the project.

The Keystone review released Friday is “one of many important inputs in the process,” McDonough said in an interview for Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“What the president's role is now is to protect this process from politics, let the expert agencies and the cabinet secretaries make their assessments both of the study that was put on Friday as well as its impact on the national interest,” he said.

But he wouldn’t offer a timeline for action. “We'll resolve that over the coming period of time,” McDonough said.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:48:05 pm »

Jindal: Only reason to turn down Keystone is 'purely ideological'
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 9:41 AM EST

The approval of the Keystone XL pipeline should be a "no brainer" for President Barack Obama, Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.) said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

There's "absolutely not" any reason to turn down the request for a permit for the project "unless it's purely ideological reasons," Jindal said.

"This is a no-brainer," he said, and the decision "should have been made a long time ago."

The governor of an energy-rich state, Jindal said that "cheap, affordable domestic energy is an absolutely crititcal component" to attracting investment in manufacturing on U.S. soil. If the United States doesn't work with Canada, he added, China will.

Jindal: Christie should stay RGA chairman
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 9:30 AM EST

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal voiced his support Sunday for embattled fellow Republican Gov. Chris Christie, saying the New Jerseyan should continue leading the Republican Governors Association.

"I don't think he should step down, I think he should stay there," Jindal said of Christie on CNN's "State of the Union."

In the RGA, "no one governor's more important than the other," Jindal said, diminishing the leadership role that Christie plays as well as his own position of vice chair. "What really matters is the RGA is a place where our governors come together."
Support the USO

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
Let's not forget that nonstop Superbowl coverage started at the crack of dawn this morning on various venues.....

:beer:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:13:33 pm »

Bronco's Elway: My beliefs align with GOP
By HADAS GOLD |
2/2/14 9:45 AM EST

John Elway said on Sunday that he aligns himself with the GOP, but that he doesn't plan on running for office anytime soon.

The football Hall of Famer and executive vice president of football operations for the Denver Broncos said on "Fox News Sunday" that though he sees himself as a Republican, he's in the "middle right."

"I don't believe in safety nets - obviously, we have to have some kind of safety nets - but I think my philosophy is when given the opportunity to go take advantage of that. I think that's when you get the best out of people," Elway said just ahead of Sunday's Super Bowl showdown between his Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks."So my beliefs align best with the GOP. I wouldn’t say I'm way right. I'm middle right. "

If Congress acted more like a business and gave a little to get a little, Elway suggested it would get a lot more done.

"I've been fortunate enough to be in business. I’m one of those that believes you have to give a little to get some. and so I’d like to see us be able to free up Congress a little bit and say we need to give up a little bit to get a little bit," Elway said. "If we were able to do that and we acted more like businessmen in that situation, I believe we would get a lot more done."

Asked if he'd ever seek public  office, Elway said he's been approached to run " a couple of times" but that politics may be a tougher business than football.

"I'd rather be on the supportive side than the guys that running, but also believe it's my duty to be involved, too," Elway said. "Politics is a tough business. Football is a tough business, but I’m not sure it's as tough as politics. I’ll stay on the outside of that."

Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
Paul Ryan 'confident' in Christie
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 10:07 AM EST

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan supports Chris Christie and is giving him the benefit of the doubt amid conflicting accounts of what the New Jersey governor knew about lane closures at the George Washington Bridge.

Asked whether Christie can continue to be one of the most visible faces of the GOP as chairman of Republican Governors Association, the former Republican vice presidential candidate said he is "confident" in Christie. "I consider Chris Christie a friend. I think he's been a fantastic governor."

"Right now, all we know is one person's word against another. You can't base any conclusion on such a thing," Ryan added. "And so unless something else is known or made clear, I don't see why you would change what's going on right now. I don't think he should step down because nothing has been proven, and you always give a person the benefit of the doubt in those kind of situations, in my judgment."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:43:44 pm »
Ryan won't commit to immigration action this year
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 10:27 AM EST

Rep. Paul Ryan sees a need for Congress to act to improve border security, but is uncertain about whether a broader immigration bill will reach President Barack Obama's desk by the end of the year.

"Doing nothing on the security side of this, we think, is not a responsible thing to do," the Wisconsin Republican said in an interview aired Sunday on ABC's "This Week," responding to commentator Bill Kristol's suggestion that the GOP focus on attacking Obamacare -- and not on immigration -- to win congressional races this fall.

"We don't think that we can allow this border to continue to be overrun," Ryan added, as he summed up House Republicans' new principles for immigration reform. "If we can get security first, no amnesty before anything happens, that's a good approach. This is not a trust and verify, this is a verify and trust approach."

But while Obama wants to see Congress take action this year -- just as he did last year -- Ryan wouldn't commit to a timeline. Asked if the president would get a bill to sign this year, the House Budget Committee chairman responded: "I really don't know the answer to that question. That's clearly in doubt"

Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »
McDonough pushes back against 'shrinking presidency'
By HADAS GOLD |
2/2/14 10:25 AM EST

White House chief of staff Denis McDonough pushed back on Sunday against the notion that President Barack Obama's agenda for 2014 is smaller and less ambitious than in the past.

"If you think about the things that he laid out on the table this week, $10.10 an hour minimum wage, that's not going to be small for the hundreds of thousands of people who benefit from that," McDonough said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "When you think about long-term unemployment, the president bringing in 300 of the country's biggest employers to say to them, 'Hey, let's resolve this issue that's really dogging our economy.' and when those guys get a fair shot at a job and, in fact, a new job at some point, that's not going to be small to them."

Host David Gregory noted that in previous years the president had big ambitions on issues like climate change and gun control and asked if after a tough year Obama is conceding he should be less ambitious.

"I concede that the president doesn't spend a lot of time looking at Washington," McDonough said. "What the president does is spend a lot of time looking at what families across the country want.  They want clear, discernible, concrete actions that he can take so that he can move this thing forward, not wait for Congress, which you've said many times on this show ... is a Congress that, frankly, has just not lived up to its past experience and, in fact, one that's been quite slow."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
Giuliani: 'Something very unfair' being done to Christie
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 10:58 AM EST

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is in a "really bad situation" if it turns out he's lied about Bridgegate - but if he's not lying, "something very unfair is being done to him," former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Sunday.

"I would say put this in context. This is a long investigation, it's going to take a while. There's going to be stuff like this that just jumps out and everybody's going to exaggerate," Giuliani said on CBS's "Face the Nation. "The governor has denied it. So far, there's no evidence to suggest that he's not telling the truth. I think the governor knows the consequences."

"If he's lying, it's a really bad situation. If he's not lying, then something very unfair is being done to him. So let's see what happens," Giuliani said.

"If the governor didn't tell the truth, the governor is in serious trouble," Giuliani went on. "We shouldn't jump to that conclusion until there's evidence to suggest that."

And, like many other national Republicans who have spoken out on Christie's troubles, Giuliani believes the governor should keep his position leading the Republican Governors Association. "If I were a governor, I would vote to keep him there," he said.

Giuliani also sees clear bias coming from the media and Democrats. "I think there's a real incident that was unfortunate and bad, and the governor apologized for that. I don't want to minimize that," Giuliani said. "But what I'm saying is you take that incident and now you've got pile-on," particularly from Assemblyman John Wisniewski, who is leading the investigation of Christie and has flirted with running for governor.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »

Wisniewski: Wildstein claims not in subpoena
By HADAS GOLD |
2/2/14 11:34 AM EST

Evidence of the claims made by the former Port Authority official last week that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie knew about the George Washington Bridge closure were not in more than the 900 pages he submitted in response to a subpoena, the New Jersey Democrat leading the state legislature's investigation said on Sunday.

"We don't really know what the evidence is," John Wisniewski said on NBC's "Meet the Press" of David Wildstein's claims. "He submitted over 900 pages of documents in response to the subpoena. Apparently what he's talking about must be something other than what he submitted."
A letter from David Wildstein’s lawyer obtained by the New York Times on Friday asserted that “evidence exists … tying Mr. Christie to having knowledge of the lane closures, during the period when the lanes were closed, contrary to what the Governor stated publicly in a two-hour press conference.”

Wisniewski said it was a "great question" as to why Wildstein didn't submit that evidence at first and that the choice of words in the letter are "curious."

"Well, the question is it's-- the use of the words 'evidence exists,' as opposed to saying, 'I have documents,' or, 'I have an e-mail,' it's a curious choice of words," he said. "Which maybe he knows somebody else that has information. Maybe this is a conversation he had. Maybe this is something else that is not within the scope of the subpoena the committee issued. So it raises questions about what does he have and why doesn't the committee have it?"

Wisniewski said they are expecting more responses to subpoenas as early as Monday and that nothing they have seen thus far implicates the governor. But, Wisniewski said targeting Christie is not their ultimate goal.

"We're trying to change the way the Port Authority operates. Our endgame here is not any law enforcement action. Our endgame here is to change the culture of the Port Authority to make this agency more accountable, more transparent, which it's not right now," he said.

Wisniewski: 'Premature' to talk Christie resignation, impeachment
By JENNIFER EPSTEIN |
2/2/14 11:15 AM EST

The New Jersey Democrat leading the state legislature's investigation of Gov. Chris Christie's role in lane closures at the George Washington Bridge says it's "premature" to be talking about the governor's impeachment or resignation.

"There's a lot of talk about that. People are asking the hypotheticals," Assemblyman John Wisniewski said Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation." "We don't have enough facts to even get to that conversation. We need to get all the facts on the table, we need to make decisions who knew what when. And when that's done, maybe it might be appropriate to have that conversation but clearly we're way ahead of that right now."

Appearing on "Face the Nation" just before Wisniewski, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani accused the assemblyman of having already "prejudged" that Christie has lied about his involvement in the lane closures. "He's prejudged everything that's been said," Wisniewski said of Giuliani.

"What I've said is I have skepticism about the governor's statement. I haven't said that the governor has responsibility for this. I haven't said that the governor knew when this was happening, that's something [former Port Authority official David] Wildstein said," the assemblyman argued. "What I've said is the governor made a statement about what he knew and I said I have my doubts about that timeline. He could have known at any time but I have my doubts about what he said."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:49 pm »
Scott: Diversity of ideas good for GOP
By HADAS GOLD |
2/2/14 11:09 AM EST

In his first appearance on a Sunday news show as a senator, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) said that the variety of opinions in the Republican party are a good thing.

Scott said on NBC's "Meet the Press" that the many Republican responses to the president's State of the Union this week shows that many people in the GOP can voice their concerns. After the address on Tuesday, there was the official response by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) and in Spanish by Rep. Illeana Ross-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), as well as highly publicized responses by Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.)

" So often, people look at the Republican Party and say that we're a monolith party, that we don't have multiple voices with different perspectives on the issues.  The fact of the matter is what you saw after the State of the Union is that there are many people in our party that are able to voice their concerns," Scott said.

Host David Gregory noted that Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said this week that he thinks the Republican party should stop being the party of opposition, and should be a party of ideas. 

Scott said that the Republican party "continues to grow because we like disparity, we like the diversity of ideas" and that it helps the GOP "to build the best party for the future."

"So at the end of the day, what America needs is a party that is as diverse as the Republican Party," Scott said. "That is why the great opportunities for our future comes out of the GOP."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:18:38 pm by Rapunzel »
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:16 pm »
Scott is correct. Some so-called conservatives like to hold up the Democrats being lemmings as an example of what is wrong with the GOP because we actually fight out our varying ideas in the GOP as if that is a bad thing to think for yourself instead of group-think like the Democrats do.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776