Author Topic: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead after apparent drug overdose: cops  (Read 1635 times)

Offline happyg

Philip Seymour Hoffman dead after apparent drug overdose: cops
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
By Larry Celona and Bruce Golding

overdose inside a Greenwich Village home on Sunday, cops said.

Hoffman’s body was found by a friend at 11:30 a.m. Sunday morning in an apartment at 35 Bethune St., sources said.

Cops are at the scene and are investigating, sources said.

Hoffman has admittedly struggled with drug addiction in the past, and reportedly checked himself into rehab last year for heroin abuse.
http://nypost.com/2014/02/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-in-his-apartment/

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead after apparent drug overdose: cops
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:57:36 pm »
What a talent!  Tragic.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:22 pm »
Last week I happened to watch the one hour program on John Bellucci, his death and struggle with heroin abuse...a lot of info i had never heard before and quite sad, on ons level he wanted to quit, but heroin was more powerful than any desire... He even hired people to keep him from using all to no avail.. reminded me of the stories we read about George Jones and how the dealers became more powerful than the people working to get him clean... unfortunately heroin has made a huge resurgence in our country.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:55 pm »
Wow, I watched "Capote" just aweek or so ago and was impressed by his talent.

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose — in the bathroom with a hypodermic needle still in his arm — inside a Greenwich Village home on Sunday morning, cops said.

A personal assistant found Hoffman’s body in the apartment at 35 Bethune St. and called 911 around 11:30 a.m, sources said.

Heroin was found in the pad, law-enforcement sources said.

The star was fully clothed when found.

Cops are at the scene and are investigating, sources said.

Last month, Hoffman, 46, appeared out of it at the Sundance Film Festival at a party for his movie “God’s Pocket,” witnesses told The Post.

He seemed “slightly disheveled and pasty” and initially declined interviews while his co-stars, Christina Hendricks and John Slattery, talked to the media, witnesses said.

A rep said at the time, “He needed a minute and didn’t feel like coming down yet.”

Later, Hoffman seemed more relaxed and agreed to do some interviews but would only talk about the movie. He was later spotted at another party chatting to actor Sam Rockwell. ...
NY Post
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:22:19 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
Heroin is a real sod to kick, and, like the booze, the craving never really goes away and a lot of the damage is permanent.

Pity. He was a solid and talented actor.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »
Found with the needle still in his arm...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »
Janis Joplin died of heroin overdose. I saw a documentary, and it indicated she was in no way suicidal (beyond the normal insanity of drugs).

It was a simple mistake. User assumes the strength is as usual. It turns out it is way stronger.

Or putting it differently, it is not cut as much as normal.

For the recreational user of any mind altering substance, getting the dose right is tricky.

What if you tilted a mixed drink, and had no idea the usual one jigger of 80 proof would turn out to be ten jiggers worth?

These people that die of overdose just want to be high, not dead.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »
These people that die of overdose just want to be high, not dead.

Back when I was drinking, I wanted the buzz because I felt dead inside.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »
Back when I was drinking, I wanted the buzz because I felt dead inside.
Back when I was drinking, I just liked to be buzzed. The good feeling of just a few beers.

But as the years wore on, 3 beers became 6 beers, and 6 beers became 12 beers, etc.

It is said that alcoholics and addicts are always chasing that early euphoria of their first days of using. But it becomes more and more elusive, while the quantities often increase drastically.

I would not wish the enslavement to substances on anybody.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 09:14:30 pm »
Yep. Nice summation.

I know in my mind that there are people who can take one drink (or one snort, one shot, one joint) and leave it alone for months after that. I even accept that it is the majority of people.

Just don't understand it.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 09:44:00 pm »
Guys.  Thank you for your comments.  I have alcohol abusers in the family and alcoholics.  Mrs. Lando's father died of numerous alcohol related health complications. 

Me, I am fortunate that I can have a couple of sociable drinks and then stop with no urge or desire to continue drinking.  Plus, I am very prone to hangovers.  Again, fortunate I guess.  I firmly believe in genetic predisposition to addiction.  When compounded by cultural influences, it is a killer.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 10:01:20 pm »
Addiction is an odd thing. There is certainly a genetic component to it. A wiring defect in the brain, if you like. Got no off switch for alcohol or some drugs or gaming or sex.

Other things seem to actively rewire your brain to need the hit. Heroin, Morphine, Opium and Nicotine are particularly well known for that.
Been lucky enough that the opiates don't bother me. Stick me on morphine for a couple of weeks and there is nary a withdrawal sign when I come off. I miss the dreams, but that's about it. Try to take my cigs away, I will rip your face off.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:07 pm »
Let us be clear that there is a great deal of difference between alcoholism and heroin addiction.  Alcoholics for life do not drink, whereas many if not most heroin addicts are treated with a substitute for the heroin, methadone being one.

There is an old HBO special available out there called "Methadonia". and I highly recommend it.  It shows how former heroin addicts are now methadone addicts and there really is no off ramp for this kind of addiction. 

One of the biggest growing drug problems in the US right now is a sharp spike in heroin deaths and heroin addiction.  Black tar heroin flows into this country from Mexico by the pound and is a cheap and ready substitute for Oxycontin addicts who can no longer get their pills as easily or as cheap.  My wife and I have friends whose 30 something son has been on a down spiral from oxy to heroin for a couple of years.  During his (short) court authorized visit with his 10 year old at Christmas, he ODd on heroin and ended up back in the hospital and headed for rehab again.

Oxy is a synthetic opioid and heroin works as a much cheaper substitute.  Problem is that quality control thing....you never quite know for sure how strong it is, and if you just got your hands on some purified powdered heroin, it may not have been stepped on quite as many times as anyone figured, so, you end up like Hoffman with a massive rush that is so intense you don't even have time to pull the spike.

It is a shame, but death by really good heroin is a rapidly growing problem that does not just affect Hollywood stars.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:19:22 pm by Chieftain »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »
It is a shame, but death by really good heroin is a rapidly growing problem that does not just affect Hollywood stars.

No it isn't. Just read our local scanner feed and you see how pervasive it is (that and meth)... it is one reason our local CBS news has been doing a weekly series re what they've uncovered on the Sinola Drug Cartel and this current DC Admin letting them bring their hard drugs into the USA unmolested) in return for dropping the dime to the feds on the lower level cartels... and don't forget a LOT of the worlds heroin is coming from Afghanistan and our government knows it!!!!!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 12:06:37 am »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2550605/Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-confessed-eight-years-ago-went-rehab-age-22-feared-life.html

'You get panicked': Philip Seymour Hoffman confessed eight years ago he went to rehab at age 22 because he feared for his life

By Heidi Parker

PUBLISHED: 17:38 EST, 2 February 2014

Eight years ago Philip Seymour Hoffman gave a revealing interview to 60 Minutes.

While talking to journalist Steve Kroft, the Capote actor - who was found dead in his New York City apartment on Sunday from an apparent drug overdose - admitted he worried about his health when doing drugs regularly in his youth.

'I was 22 and I got panicked for my life, it really was, it was just that,' the star, who died at age 46, confessed.
He knew he had a problem: Philip Seymour Hoffman told 60 Minutes in 2006 he quit drugs at age 22 because he 'panicked'

When Kroft asked the Mission: Impossible III actor if he went to rehab for drugs or alcohol, he said, 'Yeah I did all that stuff,' and he laughed.

The star then talked about actors who get famous at a younger age.

'I always think, God, I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich,' then he stopped. 'I'm like, my God, I'd be dead.'
No boundaries: The Oscar winner said he did any drugs he could get his 'hands on'

The Moneyball actor then added: 'Nineteen, beautiful, famous and rich, that would be it, you know,' meaning he wouldn't have been able to handle it all.

'I think back at that time and think if I had the money, that kind of money,' then he trailed off as he stared at the reporter.

His first acting job was in 1991 for an episode of Law & Order. He was 24-years-old.

At the time of the sit down, Hoffman looked healthy and slimmer.
Too much: During the sit down, the Capote actor admitted if he had gotten famous at age 19 he's 'be dead'

Hoffman, who has three children, was found dead in his Greenwich Village apartment - which is not far from the three-bedroom, $4.4m residence he shared with longtime girlfriend, costume designer Mimi O'Donnell.

The New York native with discovered with a needle still in his arm, according to the New York Post.

David Bar Katz, a friend of Hoffman's called 911 around 11:30 a.m. after he and a female friend found the actor in his underwear on a bathroom floor, a source told the Post.

They were checking on the Ides Of March actor after he had 'missed an appointment to pick up his three kids.'

In his apartment police had found 'five empty glassine envelopes in a garbage can, two more under the bed and one on a table in the apartment.'

A charred spoon in the kitchen sink was also discovered, according to the paper.

'He was shooting up in the bathroom,' a law-enforcement source said.

The Post also reported the envelopes 'were marked Ace of Spades, which sources said is a brand of heroin that hasn’t been seen on the streets since around 2008 in Brooklyn.'

Hoffman’s death is believed to be accidental as there was no note left behind.

Philip has in recent months been filming the Mockingjay installments of Hunger Games in Atlanta, Georgia.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 12:08:26 am »
What a waste.  Every movie he was in, he made better.  Even Twister. 

One of my favorites was his role in Charlie Wilson's War.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:17 am »
What a waste.  Every movie he was in, he made better.  Even Twister. 

One of my favorites was his role in Charlie Wilson's War.

You're right - he was great in both movies.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
Last week I happened to watch the one hour program on John Bellucci, his death and struggle with heroin abuse...a lot of info i had never heard before and quite sad, on ons level he wanted to quit, but heroin was more powerful than any desire... He even hired people to keep him from using all to no avail.. reminded me of the stories we read about George Jones and how the dealers became more powerful than the people working to get him clean... unfortunately heroin has made a huge resurgence in our country.

Belushi was absolutely powerless to the pull of drugs.  I have never heard of anyone who was as enslaved by the pull of drugs as he was. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 12:20:20 am »
Belushi was absolutely powerless to the pull of drugs.  I have never heard of anyone who was as enslaved by the pull of drugs as he was.

The Bio expose was very sad.  Dan Aykroyd talked about how he did want to get clean but was powerless to do so.  How they hired guards to keep the drug dealers away from him and he would still find a way to sneak out... said when he knew Belushi was dead he literally ran out the door of his home all the way to John's home to tell his wife before she would hear it on the news.  He said when John was clean he looked and felt great, but it wasn't enough to stop his return when he had a chance.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:29:39 am »
Robert Downy Jr., is thinking....."There, but for the Grace of God, go I"!

Hoffman was the best as the star...and also supporting roles.  It's a terrible loss.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald