Author Topic: Local man to be buried atop motorcycle  (Read 1462 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Local man to be buried atop motorcycle
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »
Local man to be buried atop motorcycle

Clear casket and burial plan was 18 years in the making, family says.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local-man-to-be-buried-atop-motorcycle/nc7p6/

By Jessica Heffner
Staff Writer

MECHANICSBURG —
Billy Standley started planning to be buried astride his 1967 motorcycle about 18 years ago. His family carried out his wish Friday with a large Plexiglas casket.

As far back as his family can remember, Standley said he was going to be buried astride his Harley Davidson Electra Glide. They said the motorcycle helped him retain his sense of adventure after he settled down to raise four children in Mechanicsburg — quite a compromise for the man who made his start at the tender age of 13 as a ranch hand and rodeo rider.

“He was gruff, but his heart was as big as all outdoors,” said his daughter, Dorothy Brown.

Standley began making the burial plans, because when he died, he didn’t just want to ride to heaven, he wanted the whole world to see him do it in a see-through coffin. This required a lot of preparation, and even more gumption.

“He was a quirky man,” Brown said. “But when it comes to us kids, he loved us, he raised us well and, of course, we wanted to help him.”

He started by buying three extra burial plots at the Fairview Cemetery in Mutual, next to his wife, Lorna. The land was big enough for the 9-by-11-foot cement septic tank able to accommodate his bike. His sons, Pete and Roy, fashioned the casket out of Plexiglas, reinforcing the bottom with wood and steel rods to handle the extra weight. For five years, it sat in Standley’s garage and “if you stopped by his house, he showed you his casket,” Roy Standley said.

“He was proud of it,” he added.

Enlisting the help of Dave and Tammy Vernon, co-owners of Vernon Funeral Homes Inc., he ensured his funeral would be held outside, so all his biker friends could watch his final ride.

“We’ve done personalization … but nothing this extreme,” Tammy Vernon said. “He was the one who kept throwing this idea out there, to be buried on his bike. We were glad to assist him.”

His forethought proved advantageous after Standley was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. Even as his mind wandered, his children or friends couldn’t forget his final wishes. When Standley succumbed to lung cancer Sunday at the age of 82, his plan rolled into action.

Five embalmers prepared his body and secured him with a metal back brace and straps to ensure he’d never lose his seat on his beloved bike, even as it was towed by a trailer to his final resting place. The casket was assembled in the garage of Vernon’s’ funeral home in Mechanicsburg, enshrining him with his trophies and well-worn leathers. After the visitation in the parking lot, motorcyclists from across the country will join him on his final ride to Fairview Cemetery.

Link to pictures:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/gallery/news/local/mechanicsburg-man-buried-his-motorcycle/gCHNF/#4487361
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

Re: Local man to be buried atop motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:08 pm »
Ride to live - live to ride!

:beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »
Ride to live - live to ride!

Bit of a waste of a wonderful bike though.

It's also a dangerous precedent. When the zombie holocaust finally comes, our only advantage is speed. We don't want zombies grafted to bikes!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:14 pm »

Bit of a waste of a wonderful bike though.

It's also a dangerous precedent. When the zombie holocaust finally comes, our only advantage is speed. We don't want zombies grafted to bikes!

I thought that too, why not leave the bike to one of his kids?  Still, it was nice that they actually honored his wishes. 

Zombie holocaust - yeah, he'll have the speed advantage, but at least you can hear him coming!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:24:27 pm »
I thought that too, why not leave the bike to one of his kids?  Still, it was nice that they actually honored his wishes. 

Zombie holocaust - yeah, he'll have the speed advantage, but at least you can hear him coming!

I agree. Honoring his wishes was the right thing to do.

As to hearing him coming, maybe not. There's always going to be one idiot in your group that picks the chainsaw. Hard to hear over them.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:39:16 pm »
I agree. Honoring his wishes was the right thing to do.

As to hearing him coming, maybe not. There's always going to be one idiot in your group that picks the chainsaw. Hard to hear over them.

Seeing as the noise of the chainsaw would attract unwanted attention, I think that person would have to be 'trimmed' from the group - if you know what I mean. 

:whistle:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 04:04:19 pm »
Seeing as the noise of the chainsaw would attract unwanted attention, I think that person would have to be 'trimmed' from the group - if you know what I mean. 

:whistle:

Zombies can't hear, can they?   :shrug:

That said, has anyone heard also that a dead Latino boxer is being viewed in a standing position, wearing a hooded cape and boxing gloves?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »
Zombies can't hear, can they?   :shrug:

That said, has anyone heard also that a dead Latino boxer is being viewed in a standing position, wearing a hooded cape and boxing gloves?

Yep. The pictures are very "uncanny valley" territory.

Zombies seem to be able to hear. They are attracted to noise.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »
That's creepily like 'taxidermy'. 

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »
I don't really think he needs the helmet.  :whistle:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee