Author Topic: The 10 Absolute Worst States for Taxes  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Rapunzel

The 10 Absolute Worst States for Taxes
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: The 10 Absolute Worst States for Taxes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Out of those 10, one red state (North Carolina) with the rest varying shades of blue.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:20:52 PM by SPQR »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »
The NY sales tax figure is not accurate.  True, the State-only sales tax is 4%; however, every county also imposes a local sales tax and the combined state/local rate runs from a low of 7% in some counties, to a high of 8.875% in NYC.

In other words, the actual sales tax burden people in NYS pay is twice that shown in the chart.

Oh, and just to rub salt in the wound, unless you can prove that you paid use tax on everything you bought outside NY and brought into NY with you, you're presumed to (a) have purchased stuff outside NY that you then brought back in with you, and (b) to have not paid any use tax on that stuff, and you're assessed an additional use-tax proxy based on your income.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:01:46 AM by Oceander »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »
tell me where the property tax in NJ is anywhere near 1900/annum
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
Traffic fines particularly irk me. (in Queens, it's impossible not to get parking tickets. They will get you for the most miniscule things.) I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
tell me where the property tax in NJ is anywhere near 1900/annum

The figure is per capita, which in this case is likely to be misleading if NJ has more than the average number of renters, as opposed to owners, in its population.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Traffic fines particularly irk me. (in Queens, it's impossible not to get parking tickets. They will get you for the most miniscule things.) I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!

Those aren't parking tickets, that's the monthly open-air garage parking fee, dontcha know!  Do the ticket fairies come out even after the street sweeper's gone by?  Where I was they were pretty aggressive when it came to giving out tickets before the sweep came, but they wouldn't ticket cars with the driver inside and they never, to my knowledge, came by after the sweep had passed.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
The figure is per capita, which in this case is likely to be misleading if NJ has more than the average number of renters, as opposed to owners, in its population.

i was crackin' wise
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
I had The View on TV on yesterday as I was getting ready to go out--all of I sudden I hear a "Bring your business to New York!"  ad.   Here NY's governor just declared that conservatives are no longer welcome in his state, but some state agency is paying for ads, begging businesses to start up or relocate there??   :shrug:

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
i was crackin' wise

I always take the bait when it's this early on the weekend!  :silly:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »
Out of those 10, one red state (North Carolina) with the rest varying shades of blue.
North Carolina is the state where all the blue-staters go to escape. Eventually the blue-state mentality would seep in.

The NY sales tax figure is not accurate.  True, the State-only sales tax is 4%; however, every county also imposes a local sales tax and the combined state/local rate runs from a low of 7% in some counties, to a high of 8.875% in NYC.

In other words, the actual sales tax burden people in NYS pay is twice that shown in the chart.

Oh, and just to rub salt in the wound, unless you can prove that you paid use tax on everything you bought outside NY and brought into NY with you, you're presumed to (a) have purchased stuff outside NY that you then brought back in with you, and (b) to have not paid any use tax on that stuff, and you're assessed an additional use-tax proxy based on your income.
Indeed. The default state tax rate in New York is 7%. In New York, the counties are pretty much administrative wards of the state and can be forced to fork over money for pensions, Medicaid, etc. whenever the state has a shortfall-- while this automatic "county" tax doesn't necessarily automatically go to state expenses (some use property taxes for that purpose), the net effect is the same. It's a state tax.

Property tax rates are absurd. As I've discussed before, much of that is education spending, which is also the highest in the nation. It is demonstrably driving people out of the state.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf