Author Topic: Maine’s highest court: Transgender student’s rights were violated  (Read 812 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine_supreme_court__Transgender_student_s_rights_were_violated.html

The rights of a transgender girl from Orono were violated when school administrators made her use a staff bathroom at her elementary school instead of the girls’ restroom, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruled Thursday.
click image to enlarge

Transgender student Nicole Maines, now 16, and her family on the day of a historic Maine supreme court ruling.

Gordon Chibroski/Staff Photographer
click image to enlarge

Nicole Maines, with her father Wayne Maines, left, and brother Jonas, speaks to reporters outside court in June 2013 after arguments on the Maines’ lawsuit. “I just hope (the justices) understand how important it is for students to go to school, get an education, have fun ... and not have to worry about being bullied,” Nicole said at the time.

The ruling is the first in which a state supreme court has affirmed a transgender person’s right to equal access to restrooms in places of public accommodation.

Lawyers representing Nicole Maines, who is now 16, said the decision could lay a foundation for other states’ courts that are facing questions about the emerging rights of people who identify as the opposite of their birth gender.

“I’m extremely proud of our state and our leaders, of what they did,” said Wayne

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Maine’s highest court: Transgender student’s rights were violated
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »
What did the court say about the rights of the females, who could feel very, very badly about having HIM in their restrooms?

Who decides if he is a "legitimate" transgender, or a clever heterosexual cross dresser?

I suppose that must be left up to a judge to decide.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:48 pm »
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  This proves that no matter what accommodations are made it will never, ever be enough.

This kid must have had some kind of amazing upbringing to be that much of a distraction at the local Grade school.

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:13 pm »
Soon public restrooms will have to be uni-sex single stall restrooms.  Because they'll still squawk if there's  "Mens", "Womens" and "Other".   :nono:

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:42:48 pm »
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  This proves that no matter what accommodations are made it will never, ever be enough.

:thumbsup:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »
What did the court say about the rights of the females, who could feel very, very badly about having HIM in their restrooms?

Who decides if he is a "legitimate" transgender, or a clever heterosexual cross dresser?

I suppose that must be left up to a judge to decide.

The females in the school have no rights whatsoever.

There are going to be a lot of sexual assaults that occur in girls' restrooms because of these kinds of 'laws.'

And by the time a judge makes a decision, it will be too late for the girls who have been damaged by sexual predators pretending to be 'transgendered.'
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:20 pm »

This kid must have had some kind of amazing upbringing to be that much of a distraction at the local Grade school.

One would think that a kid would be thrilled to be allowed to use the faculty restroom.

But obviously, the 'accommodations' were not the point.

Making trouble was the point.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »
The females in the school have no rights whatsoever.

There are going to be a lot of sexual assaults that occur in girls' restrooms because of these kinds of 'laws.'

And by the time a judge makes a decision, it will be too late for the girls who have been damaged by sexual predators pretending to be 'transgendered.'

Parents have two choices these days. Homeschool or send their kids to a charter school (if you can even get in since they have long waiting lists)
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »
Parents have two choices these days. Homeschool or send their kids to a charter school (if you can even get in since they have long waiting lists)

I'm so thankful that our kids got through school before all this evil began.

There's NO way I would send my kids to public schools now.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
I'm so thankful that our kids got through school before all this evil began.

There's NO way I would send my kids to public schools now.

Sad isn't it. Unions have ruined public education.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:17 pm »
One would think that a kid would be thrilled to be allowed to use the faculty restroom.
Yes, you'd think so. I guess it just shows how very severe his mental illness really is.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:18:21 am »
If this isn't a "war on women," I'm not sure what is.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton