Author Topic: Conservative website shuttered after libel ruling (Free Dominion- Canada)  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ I really detest that quote. ]]

That's why you're a Brit, and we are free.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
[[ I really detest that quote. ]]

That's why you're a Brit, and we are free.

Nah, that's why you are free and I have a hell of a lot of names to remember every Nov 11th.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

I really detest that quote.

Perhaps 'cause - assuming you're UK stock - you sprang from the timid ones who stayed home rather than taking to the high seas in search of a better place to live one's life?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Shortly after the Pilgrims emigrated to our far shores, the Brits were engaged in their own civil war, killing the King, their own puritans (Cromwell) and going back to a King with more limited powers, etc.

I'd say respectfully the Brits were on a similar quest for freedom, self-government, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Perhaps 'cause - assuming you're UK stock - you sprang from the timid ones who stayed home rather than taking to the high seas in search of a better place to live one's life?

I'd not call either side o my family particularly timid. 10 generations of military service (on my father's side, it's more like 15 on my mothers - that we know of), in every corner of the world. Hill farmers, ironstone miners and North Atlantic fishermen. All not jobs for the faint of heart.

We just happen to love our country, despite the weather, and wish to stay here. Why should that be surprising? Our roots here are centuries deep.

Yet I hold to the Asimov quote. "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Kitchener sold WW1 as the Great Patriotic War. Great for him, maybe. The holes in my family tree would indicate it wasn't exactly great for us, but, hey, it worked out in the end.
Churchill ginned us all up for WW2 using the same appeal. My grand dad (mom's side) joined up despite being in a reserved occupation. He survived, though he spent 3 years as a POW. None of his 4 brothers survived to '45. Two of them were in Singapore when it fell.

I have a cousin lost his leg in Korea. Other cousins, an uncle and a son lost more than that in the Gulf and Afghanistan. Buried countless friends over the years, some boxed and flagged, some empty boxes.

Can we stop watering the damned tree with the blood of patriots? Let's try using the blood of tyrants for a damned change, instead of giving them this due process shit when they get caught.

And the guy who made that quote? My mother's maiden name is Jefferson. He's by way of being a distant cousin. I still think he's a dick for saying that.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Can we stop watering the damned tree with the blood of patriots? Let's try using the blood of tyrants for a damned change, instead of giving them this due process shit when they get caught.

And the guy who made that quote? My mother's maiden name is Jefferson. He's by way of being a distant cousin. I still think he's a dick for saying that.

Come on EC, you are smarter than that.  Nothing sounds more ignorant than sifting statements made more than 200 years ago through the sieve of today's cultural sensitivities and mores.   That's what the left does.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Come on EC, you are smarter than that.  Nothing sounds more ignorant than sifting statements made more than 200 years ago through the sieve of today's cultural sensitivities and mores.   That's what the left does.

True. It flicked me on the raw after too little sleep.  :shrug:

It's just - We have 5 kids. Dani is now 14 months and is the only one I have got to see growing up. All the rest? I was abroad and, because my wife is a foreign national, she and they were not permitted to accompany me. Missed first steps, first word, first tooth - all those wonderful things that are a joy to a parent (Her first clear word, BTW, was the F word. Maybe missing them growing up was a good idea  :laugh: )

It was needed, sure. Just really doesn't seem right. Sure, I were there for my grand children, but it's not quite the same.

Oceander

I'd not call either side o my family particularly timid. 10 generations of military service (on my father's side, it's more like 15 on my mothers - that we know of), in every corner of the world. Hill farmers, ironstone miners and North Atlantic fishermen. All not jobs for the faint of heart.

We just happen to love our country, despite the weather, and wish to stay here. Why should that be surprising? Our roots here are centuries deep.

Yet I hold to the Asimov quote. "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Kitchener sold WW1 as the Great Patriotic War. Great for him, maybe. The holes in my family tree would indicate it wasn't exactly great for us, but, hey, it worked out in the end.
Churchill ginned us all up for WW2 using the same appeal. My grand dad (mom's side) joined up despite being in a reserved occupation. He survived, though he spent 3 years as a POW. None of his 4 brothers survived to '45. Two of them were in Singapore when it fell.

I have a cousin lost his leg in Korea. Other cousins, an uncle and a son lost more than that in the Gulf and Afghanistan. Buried countless friends over the years, some boxed and flagged, some empty boxes.

To water the tree with the blood of tyrants requires that patriots risk their lives - and thus the spilling of their blood - to do so.  Stating it the way it's put makes the gravity of the choice more obvious.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:56:59 pm by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
To water the tree with the blood of tyrants requires that patriots risk their lives - and thus the spilling of their blood - to do so.  Stating it the way it's put makes the gravity of the choice more obvious.

It's not the risk. I don't mind that, never have, and anyone who signs up knows it might happen. Sit on the front lines and might goes way up to "when." SOP here before you ship out is to update and file your will and all next of kin contacts with the Regiment. They never lie to us about the risks. You just get on with the job and try not to think about it.

It's the waste that pisses me off. People I know died in Fallujah. For what?
People I know, including some I trained, died in Syria when the Worm was talking tough. For what?
Family and good friends have died in Hell. For what?

What is the use of watering the tree if it is not cared for afterwards?

Jefferson assumed that. He understood the duty that those in power have to do right by those who fell. Not exactly seeing that any more.

Anyway, probably just burnt out. :shrug:

Offline olde north church

couldn't they host in U.S.A?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The American Revolution has never been terminated. We are still trying to establish that every human being has a right to his own Life, his own Liberty, and his own Property ~ Robert Lefevre