Author Topic: Server for Maverick - localhost://8080  (Read 2679 times)

Offline olde north church

Server for Maverick - localhost://8080
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:40:08 pm »
I've tried downloading apache tomcat 7.0 to run on my new macbook and I keep getting an error message related to permissions. 
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

Re: Server for Maverick - localhost://8080
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »
Are you running as superuser (i.e., "sudo")? 

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »
Are you running as superuser (i.e., "sudo")?

I should be.  I'm the only user on the system.  I never had to previously.  Didn't have to do anything except set up a password in one of the documents and use tomcat/foldername/foldername/bin/startup.sh.  My previous version of tomcat was 5, I believe.
They changed something with Maverick.  They don't even have a default localhost.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:01:12 am »
I should be.  I'm the only user on the system.  I never had to previously.  Didn't have to do anything except set up a password in one of the documents and use tomcat/foldername/foldername/bin/startup.sh.  My previous version of tomcat was 5, I believe.
They changed something with Maverick.  They don't even have a default localhost.

I don't know a lot about the mac OS, but I do know that it's a UNIX variant.  On a UNIX-based OS the user usually runs as something less than the superuser (sudo) - this is a security matter, and one of the big edges UNIX-based systems have over windows-based systems.

In other words, you probably wouldn't be the superuser by default but would have to affirmatively log in as the superuser, or use the "sudo" commands.

You might also need to reset your HOSTS file.  I googled around a bit, and some folks who upgraded to Maverick had problems losing contact with localhost and the ones I found resolved this by renaming their old HOSTS file something else, then creating a new one with just the default values in it.

You may also have to activate the superuser.  Again, I don't know mac, but I did come across this article:  https://discussions.apple.com/message/24182626#24182626  which mentions that in Maverick the superuser is initially disabled.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:12:39 am »
Ya know, I remember when a 5" floppy disk was a very big deal because it replaced the 12" floppies and held more data.  I remember when the first 80 megabyte hard drive was revolutionary.

I hate you all.

:smokin:

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:17:43 am »
Ya know, I remember when a 5" floppy disk was a very big deal because it replaced the 12" floppies and held more data.  I remember when the first 80 megabyte hard drive was revolutionary.

I hate you all.

I remember when my Atari 800 came with only 48k of memory.  I also remember picking up some 12" floppies at a computer geek convention in high school for my comp sci prof, who needed them for some of his old machines.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:42 am »

I hate you all.

I remember all that. plus having to know DOS, and going to fix dinner while I waiting for a photograph to download.  Also remember 45's and 8-tracks.....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 03:14:53 am »
yeah, yeah, yeah, and i remember chasing a hoop down the street with a stick  :tongue2:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:23 am »
yeah, yeah, yeah, and i remember chasing a hoop down the street with a stick  :tongue2:

Was this before or after hoop skirts.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 05:33:10 am »

Was this before or after hoop skirts.

and the velocipede craze

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 05:36:27 am »
and the velocipede craze

Any progress on the original question?

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:15 am »
Any progress on the original question?

nada

the app store has a maverick server for $20 but the reviews aren't too great
i could check through a unix write up on setting up a server but my head's not too much into it.  i just enjoy designing web sites for my own pleasure, like art i guess and having a server makes it easier.

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »
nada

i could check through a unix write up on setting up a server but my head's not too much into it.  i just enjoy designing web sites for my own pleasure, like art i guess and having a server makes it easier.

I think there are a number of how-tos and DIYs out there about setting up apache and tomcat on Maverick.  For example, here's a very, very simple one:  http://rptwsthi.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-install-tomcat-on-your-mac-osx.html (although I suspect you've already tried the obvious steps).  There's another one, which is a little more detailed, here: http://tutorialforlinux.com/2014/01/10/how-to-install-apache-tomcat-7-on-mac-10-9-mavericks-os-x-easy-visual-guide/

Do you know how to use a command console shell instead of a graphic interface?  The control is finer grained when using a console shell, so you might try that.  For example, to make sure commands are run as the superuser they should be prefixed with "sudo" (without the quotation marks) in a shell.

Also, did you upgrade to Maverick from the previous OS, or is this a clean install?  If you upgraded, it's possible that you need to uninstall/remove all of the components you were using prior to the upgrade and then do a clean install of everything.

Lastly, while I can't really see the connection between permissions and Java, you may need to install Java because from what I've read it seems that Maverick no longer comes with Java installed by default.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:57:42 pm by Oceander »

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:27 pm »
nada

Then again, you could take the easy route that I took and just set up an old computer to act as your own private server; since I run PC, I set up an old desktop I bought for $50 to be my home server - it doesn't get exposed to the internet ever - and stuffed it full of hard drives so I could use it as a picture server as well.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:50:37 pm »
yes, they retained "terminal" so I can still use a unix command line.
i had a unix reference book but tossed it a few months after my brain issues.  my reading isn't what it used to be, well, comprehension is fine, retention beyond a page ain't worth jack. 
anyway, i remember(ed) there is a document in the tomcat folder where you set up the password, maybe a line about admin in the bin folder(?), set one, save it, then run terminal (unix) through the various folders and run your localhost.  problem is, that was tomcat 4 or 5, we're up to build 7 now with 8 in an alpha stage.
i never did the java apps(applets), PHP or other major development apps, didn't even use the WYSIWYG stuff, all hard coded through text edit.
just wanted to do some stuff with html5 and play around.  it's good therapeutatically.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:51:36 pm by olde north church »

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:04:14 pm »
yes, they retained "terminal" so I can still use a unix command line.
i had a unix reference book but tossed it a few months after my brain issues.  my reading isn't what it used to be, well, comprehension is fine, retention beyond a page ain't worth jack. 
anyway, i remember(ed) there is a document in the tomcat folder where you set up the password, maybe a line about admin in the bin folder(?), set one, save it, then run terminal (unix) through the various folders and run your localhost.  problem is, that was tomcat 4 or 5, we're up to build 7 now with 8 in an alpha stage.
i never did the java apps(applets), PHP or other major development apps, didn't even use the WYSIWYG stuff, all hard coded through text edit.
just wanted to do some stuff with html5 and play around.  it's good therapeutatically.

It is fun; that was partly why I set up my own server on that cheapo desktop I bought.  I've never really played around with html5 but I should probably start learning some of the new basics.

On to Tomcat 7.  I just googled up this tutorial:  http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/TomcatInstallationMacOSX and it does mention setting up an admin username and password.  The tutorial was written for Tomcat 6 but it says that it's been partially tested on Tomcat 7 and the item regarding the admin username and password does say it's specifically for Tomcat 7.

For Tomcat 7 it says that you have to edit the tomcat-users.xml file by adding the line

<user username="admin" password="password" roles="manager-gui"/>

above the line that says </tomcat-users> and outside of any comments.  You should replace "admin" with the username you've chosen for your admin role and "password" with the password you've chosen for your admin.

The file should be located in the Tomcat configuration directory Home/conf

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 11:11:07 pm »
It is fun; that was partly why I set up my own server on that cheapo desktop I bought.  I've never really played around with html5 but I should probably start learning some of the new basics.

On to Tomcat 7.  I just googled up this tutorial:  http://code.google.com/p/gbif-providertoolkit/wiki/TomcatInstallationMacOSX and it does mention setting up an admin username and password.  The tutorial was written for Tomcat 6 but it says that it's been partially tested on Tomcat 7 and the item regarding the admin username and password does say it's specifically for Tomcat 7.

For Tomcat 7 it says that you have to edit the tomcat-users.xml file by adding the line

<user username="admin" password="password" roles="manager-gui"/>

above the line that says </tomcat-users> and outside of any comments.  You should replace "admin" with the username you've chosen for your admin role and "password" with the password you've chosen for your admin.

The file should be located in the Tomcat configuration directory Home/conf

thanks!  that's could be part of my problem, forgetting it was an xml file, and that text edit was the program to code the xml.
I'll try it out and see how it works! 
thanks so much again

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:20:21 pm »
thanks!  that's could be part of my problem, forgetting it was an xml file, and that text edit was the program to code the xml.
I'll try it out and see how it works! 
thanks so much again

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 01:49:11 pm »
Finally, finally found it!  Perhaps it's because it's not listed as localhost://8080 on Maverick/without tomcat.  Using bash, sudo apachectl start

enter password then

then http://127.0.0.1 in url