Author Topic: Physical descriptions of crime suspects are racist black students claim  (Read 853 times)

rangerrebew

Physical descriptions of crime suspects are racist, black students claim

Posted By Robby Soave On 1:33 AM 01/31/2014 In | No Comments

Administrators at the University of Minnesota have been asked to stop considering race… when compiling physical descriptions of crime suspects.

A group of minority students and teachers representing the African American and African Studies department, Black Faculty and Staff Association, Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, Black Men’s Forum, Black Student Union and Huntley House for African American Males sent a letter to UM President Eric Kaler demanding that campus crime response protocols be reconsidered.

At issue is the campus crime alerts. When a crime is committed, university authorities release a physical description of the suspect to the campus populace. Since race is an important identifying physical detail, a suspect’s ethnicity is included in the alert.

The minority groups identified this as a racist practice, according to Campus Reform.

“Efforts to reduce crime should never be at the expense of our Black men, or any specific group of people likely to be targeted,” said the letter, according to CBS. “In addition to causing Black men to feel unsafe and distrusted, racial profiling is proven to inflict negative psychological effects on its victims.”

In addition to no longer including a suspect’s race in the crime alerts, the letter also asked for campus police to receive more diversity training.

Kaler did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

University Vice President Pamela Wheelock said racial profiling “would not be tolerated.” However, she stressed that it seemed important to include more information about suspects in the alerts, rather than less.

“I believe that sharing more information in our Crime Alerts, not less, is most beneficial in terms of public safety, especially when that information is available,” said Wheelock in a statement.

If the university did put an end to its practice of considering race in crime alerts, it would be an ironic exception to campus policy. UM practices affirmative action, and considers an applicant’s race when deciding whether to admit. (RELATED: UMich meets demands of black students who threatened ‘physical action’)

The Daily Caller reached out to the Black Men’s Forum at UM to ask whether the group supports an end to racial considerations in admission as well as in crime alerts. The group did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Follow Robby on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/31/physical-descriptions-of-crime-suspects-are-racist-black-students-claim/

Offline WAYNE

Re: Physical descriptions of crime suspects are racist black students claim
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:02:36 pm »
   Okay, I'm for it. Let's issue dead or alive posters instead.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:34:22 am »
[[ Physical descriptions of crime suspects are racist, black students claim ]]

Unlez them crim'nuls be white, dat is!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:41:46 am »
With the media, you can always tell the race of the suspect.

White: Will be prominently mentioned in the description.
Black: Likely not mentioned at all, even if there is security camera footage
Hispanic/Asian/Indian: Might be mentioned, but often referred to as a person with a "dark complexion"
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
Just to be safe, maybe authorities shouldn't be publish any description. :woohoo:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
With the media, you can always tell the race of the suspect.

White: Will be prominently mentioned in the description.
Black: Likely not mentioned at all, even if there is security camera footage
Hispanic/Asian/Indian: Might be mentioned, but often referred to as a person with a "dark complexion"
That's true. Maybe the sexism police will be next to weigh in and complain whenever a suspect is described as male or female.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline raml

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
I was very surprised to see the latest shooting near Michigan state mentioned it was a black man who did the shooting. Lately most articles leave that very big description out. Glad to see some news agencies give complete descriptions.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:13:52 pm »
Students. What you going to do?  :shrug:

All the cocky arrogance of a Wall Street trader, all the life experience of a tadpole.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22:15 pm »
I was very surprised to see the latest shooting near Michigan state mentioned it was a black man who did the shooting. Lately most articles leave that very big description out. Glad to see some news agencies give complete descriptions.

That area of Michigan has almost no blacks, except at Ferris State Univ., so the police don't know the proper protocol. :police:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:23:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »
Tough Crap!    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 11:32:42 pm »
Lansing Mi is a city I am very familiar with I went to Michigan state. Even back in the 60's there were blacks living in the city and not just the ones going to my school. I do believe now that Lansing is almost half black..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:33:13 pm by raml »

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 11:55:58 am »
My fault.  I was thinking of the shooting at Ferris.  There aren't many blacks in Big Rapids, except at the University.  At the time I was unaware of a shooting at Lansing also.