Author Topic: Why Pro-Amnesty Republicans Are So Desperate To Pass Immigration Reform This Year  (Read 160 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
The question isn't whether all manner of people will continue to come across the border to work here, the question is whether we'll put our collective head in the sand, pretend that we can hermetically seal almost 8,000 miles of terrestial border (which still leaves plenty of open water accessible), or whether we'll take practical steps to make sure we know as much as possible about who's here, why they're here, what they're doing while here, and if/when they get into trouble with local authorities.

Because come they will; how the hell d'ya think your own forebears got here?  Through ingenuity, persistence, and a willingness to take big risks in hope of a better life for yourself.

And quite frankly, if you want to head off the threatened democrat/liberal armageddon of having hundreds of thousands of compliant warm bodies to vote for them, then there's nothing better at doing that then providing a guest worker program to all comers so that everyone who has a reasonably clean nose and wants to come here to work can get here, because without the issue of illegal entry there really isn't the same pressure to "legalize" everyone into citizens.

But then again I really don't expect most republicans to understand that.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Offline Rapunzel

Guest workers don't get to vote. People granted amnesty for breaking the law do - for Democrats.  No one I know of is against a guest worker program - and you know that - you keep throwing up strawmen and ignoring the historical facts of the 1986 Amnesty program and what it did to states like California.  I guess I have to ask..... why are you so anxious for a one-party system for the Democrats, because that is what you are lobbying for...... and my ancestors came here in the 1600's.. and the Indian's didn't do a very good job of keeping them out - how well has that worked out for the Indian's.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf