Author Topic: GOP immigration principles support legalization  (Read 3759 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP immigration principles support legalization
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:45:59 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=F20D4C32-9DB3-F1B4-E55EBDB526E35E40

GOP immigration principles support legalization
By: Seung Min Kim and Jake Sherman
January 30, 2014 04:15 PM EST

CAMBRIDGE, Md. — The House Republican immigration principles stress that undocumented immigrants will be allowed to live in the United States “legally and without fear” as long as they meet a series of requirements, according to a draft of the document set to to be released Thursday.

It stresses that those immigrants will not have access to a so-called special pathway to citizenship, meaning a new path that’s not accessible to other immigrants using the current system, according to the document, obtained by POLITICO from several sources.

“These persons could live legally and without fear in the U.S., but only if they were willing to admit their culpability, pass rigorous background checks, pay significant fines and back taxes, develop proficiency in English and American civics, and be able to support themselves and their families (without access to public benefits),” the document reads.

It states that “criminal aliens, gang members, and sex offenders and those who do not meet the above requirements” won’t qualify for legalization.

“Finally, none of this can happen before specific enforcement triggers have been implemented to fulfill our promise to the American people that from here on, our immigration laws will indeed be enforced,” the document says.

Republicans discussed immigration reform at their retreat here on Thursday as they try to forge a path forward on the issue. Even discussing the idea of legalization is a major shift for House Republicans, many of whom have decried such a move as “amnesty.”

The document also calls for “an opportunity for legal residence and citizenship for those who were brought to this country as children through no fault of their own.”

The one-page principles has been one of the most hotly-anticipated documents in recent memory, as House Republicans try to forge a way forward on immigration reform.

The preamble in the document stresses several points in favor of an overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws such as economic interests and bolstering national security.

As expected, it also says that the House will not head to conference negotiations with the Senate’s comprehensive legislation, which was passed last June.

There are several subsections in the list of principles. They are: “Border Security and Interior Enforcement Must Come First,” “Implement Entry-Exit Visa Tracking System,” “Employment Verification and Workplace Enforcement,” “Reforms to the Legal Immigration System,” “Youth” and “Individuals Living Outside the Rule of Law.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline olde north church

Re: GOP immigration principles support legalization
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:30 pm »
Huckleberry just told Eric Bolling immigration shouldn't even be a consideration at this time.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:43 pm »
The UK is starting to wake up to the costs to their citizens of immigrants coming in to use the welfare state for the benefit....  you would think someone would take heed here.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=128208.new#new
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:25 pm »
I don't believe most politicians care about what it will cost United States citizens. The only pockets they care about is filling their own so why would they care what making illegals legal would cost this country. They steal as much of taxpayers money as they can also so we the people get the finger from most politicians these days. All I can say is thank goodness for men like Mike Lee Rand Paul and Ted Cruz and a very few others. They are our only hope.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:47:49 pm »
I don't believe most politicians care about what it will cost United States citizens. The only pockets they care about is filling their own so why would they care what making illegals legal would cost this country. They steal as much of taxpayers money as they can also so we the people get the finger from most politicians these days. All I can say is thank goodness for men like Mike Lee Rand Paul and Ted Cruz and a very few others. They are our only hope.

Total agreement....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:16 pm »
Here we go again.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:53:52 pm »
Here we go again.

Yep and it's getting old........  us against them really wears you down and this is what the Chamber Republicans are counting on.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:24 pm »
I need to resign myself to the fact we won't get the Senate and may lose the House....Boehner needs to go!..I swear they don't want to win either House...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 11:25:23 pm »
I need to resign myself to the fact we won't get the Senate and may lose the House....Boehner needs to go!..I swear they don't want to win either House...

All they want to do is line their pockets.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:40 pm »
Yep and it's getting old........  us against them really wears you down and this is what the Chamber Republicans are counting on.

Start releasing the photos of the guys holding their pickle chugging and fudge packing games

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:40:37 pm »

Republicans like being in the minority because it means more $ to their coffers.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:43:34 pm »

Yup, pretty much....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:43 am »
All they want to do is line their pockets.

All they want is to appease their masters! The guys who finance their campaigns!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 12:29:54 am »
They need to call it  "The Chamber of Commerce Protection and Affordable Lawn Care Act of 2014," AKA BoehnerCare.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 03:33:56 am »
http://www.redstate.com/2014/01/08/the-gop-open-borders-train-revs-up-its-engine/

The GOP Open Borders Train Revs Up its Engine

By: Daniel Horowitz (Diary)  |  January 8th, 2014 at 12:48 PM 

For those of you who thought that our previous warnings about an amnesty push in the near-term were overblown, today’s developments should serve as a wakeup call.  In what was clearly a coordinated effort by the establishment, Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Cantor issued a call for passing immigration legislation this year during their weekly conference meeting at the same time Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue made an emphatic pitch for amnesty.

Boehner and Cantor

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) both included an immigration rewrite among the top 2014 priorities they outlined during a closed-door meeting with the GOP ranks, lawmakers said after the gathering.

Mr. Boehner told Republicans on Wednesday that he expected to release a set of GOP principles in the coming weeks. The speaker had announced in November that Republicans, including House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R., Va.), planned to draft the guidelines before bringing any immigration bills to the House floor.

Although many House Republicans have been wary of changing immigration laws, GOP leaders have consistently maintained they plan to tackle the topic in their own fashion.

Mr. Boehner told lawmakers Wednesday that “‘This is an issue we have to deal with and I continue to believe that,’” said Rep. Matt Salmon (R., Ariz.). [WSJ]

Donohue

The president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce vowed Wednesday that 2014 will be the year his organization pulls “out all of the stops” to pass immigration reform, pledging that the Chamber will turn the 2014 midterm elections “into a motivation for change.”

“We’re determined to make 2014 the year that immigration reform is finally enacted,” Donohue said at his 2014 State of American Business address. “The Chamber will pull out all the stops – through grassroots lobbying, communications, politics and partnerships with unions, faith organization, law enforcement and other – to get it done.”

Donohue refuted the idea that immigration reform would not pass in 2014, a midterm election year when very little, if anything, gets done on Capitol Hill.

“We hope to turn that assumption on its ear,” he said. “It’s based on a simple theory: If you can’t make them see the light, then at least make them feel some heat.” [CNN]
We’ve made this point a number of times, but it’s worth repeating.  Why would Republicans be in a hell-fire rush to pass immigration legislation when they have so little political power?  These are the same folks who suggest that we can’t even block bad things with control of just the U.S. House, even though the House is vested with control over the purse strings.  Why would they think we can pass new immigration legislation built on conservative principles if it requires the cooperation of all three branches?  Why in the world would Republicans reward Obama’s malevolence and disregard for our immigration laws by granting him his biggest second-term agenda item? Why not wait until Republicans control the White House, and we can trust the president to faithfully execute the enforcement first, thereby precluding another 1986-style disaster?

Moreover, why would we distract attention from Obamacare and dispirit Republican voters in an election year?

These are all rhetorical questions. As we know, the GOP elites and their special interest backers do not share our values.  They agree with Obama 100% on open borders.

And speaking of the special interests, the Chamber is promising to reward those who support their views and punish those who oppose amnesty.  Accordingly, in light of their large media buy in support of Senator McConnell, has anyone asked the Minority Leader about his plans for immigration?  Will he support the push in 2014?

Furthermore, McConnell’s biggest selling point for his reelection is that he would be slated to become Majority Leader of the Senate.  The most important consequence of obtaining that position is that he would control the floor schedule.  And thanks to Harry Reid’s new precedent, that would include control over the amendment process.  Will McConnell pledge not to bring any immigration legislation or amendments to the floor as long as Obama is in the White House?

We all know the answer to that question.  The tribe has already spoken.  The fix is already in.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 04:13:19 am »
There has long been a saying as go California so goes the nation.  So.....in that reagard let's take a little look back in history at California... Until the Simson-Mazzoli amnesty of 1986 California normally went Republican in it's elections - especially Presidential elections.  In addition, the Republican Party held the California state house for 72 years.   Today, post the 1986 Amnesty, California is as blue as blue can be and the California Republican Party is deader than a door nail.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 04:19:19 am »
Some years ago, an excellent book was published, "The Suicide Of The West".

If the Pubbies let "immigration reform" (which is of course nothing more than a euphemism for "amnesty") pass, 2014 may be remembered as the year the Republican party committed political suicide...

What will take their place?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:56:49 am »
I was first attracted to conservatism by its unbridled optimism for the American spirit.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still."  - Reagan's farewell address

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 10:39:42 am »
just have to make it impractical, expensive and dangerous (politically) for them to even think of such policies.  many on our side are unwilling to vote third party (better message than not voting at all) and continue to subsidize the campaigns of substandard pols.
camping out in front of reps/sens local offices doesn't hurt.  shopper's news and local coverage go a long way, a longer way than national coverage in chipping away at approval ratings.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 02:08:57 pm »
[quote It states that “criminal aliens, gang members, and sex offenders and those who do not meet the above requirements” won’t qualify for legalization.[/quote]

Amnesty will attract even more criminals here illegally than we can imagine.  Ann Coulter is right, the GOP is on a suicide march.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »
There has long been a saying as go California so goes the nation.  So.....in that reagard let's take a little look back in history at California... Until the Simson-Mazzoli amnesty of 1986 California normally went Republican in it's elections - especially Presidential elections.  In addition, the Republican Party held the California state house for 72 years.   Today, post the 1986 Amnesty, California is as blue as blue can be and the California Republican Party is deader than a door nail.

So very true.  Sad and disgusting, but nonetheless true....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 02:45:18 pm »
[quote It states that “criminal aliens, gang members, and sex offenders and those who do not meet the above requirements” won’t qualify for legalization.

Amnesty will attract even more criminals here illegally than we can imagine.  Ann Coulter is right, the GOP is on a suicide march.

Someone should point out tho these idiots that the fact that they are here illegally, in and of itself, makes them felons!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:08 pm »
I was first attracted to conservatism by its unbridled optimism for the American spirit.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still."  - Reagan's farewell address

Noble sentiment from a superlative orator. Look beneath the surface. ".. people of all kinds who believe the same things living in harmony and peace; ..." 

The folks coming here are criminal trespassers. They do not share our history of republican governance nor our common heritage. They're simply looking to escape economic hardship. Which, I understand and sympathize with. However, I can barely afford to feed myself much less the rest of the world. The strain on government services will be prohibitive.

Look, I'm in a foul mood right now; I just wrote some checks for business taxes. Shocking, simply shocking how I'm being gouged, and with no relief in sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 09:09:42 pm »
Try this. Ten cities with lowest crime in America. You'll like that Scottsdale AZ is on it.

But you will not like that 5 of the 10 are in California.

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-cities-lowest-crime/

This criteria is places over 200,000. Years back, with a lower population criteria, Irvine CA and Huntington Beach CA went back and forth, for lowest crime rankings.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »
Try this. Ten cities with lowest crime in America. You'll like that Scottsdale AZ is on it.

But you will not like that 5 of the 10 are in California.

http://www.areavibes.com/library/10-cities-lowest-crime/

This criteria is places over 200,000. Years back, with a lower population criteria, Irvine CA and Huntington Beach CA went back and forth, for lowest crime rankings.

and this has what to do with amnesty?  and I am more than familiar with Irvine having lived AND worked there... but your post has absolutely nothing to do with the subject - as usual.