Author Topic: Longtime Rep. Henry Waxman to retire  (Read 676 times)

Offline happyg

Longtime Rep. Henry Waxman to retire
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:46:38 pm »
Rep. Henry Waxman, California Democrat, will not seek re-election this year, becoming another member of a growing list of long-tenured congressmen who have recently announced their plans to call it quits.

Mr. Waxman, who is retiring after 40 years in Congress, had been the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and also chaired the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform at the tail end of the George W. Bush administration.

In a statement, Mr. Waxman said he’s grateful for the support of his constituents, supporters and allies, colleagues in Congress on both sides of the aisle, his staff and his family.

“I first ran for office because I believe government can be a force for good in people’s lives,” he said. “I have held this view throughout my career in Congress. And I will leave the House of Representatives with my conviction intact. I have learned that progress is not always easy. It can take years of dedication and struggle. But it’s worth fighting for.”

Other recent retirement announcements to come from Mr. Waxman’s California delegation include 20-term Democratic congressman George Miller and 11-term GOP congressman Howard “Buck” McKeon.

Two long-tenured members of Virginia’s congressional delegation — 17-term Republican Frank Wolf and 12-term Democrat Jim Moran — also announced recently they will retire.

By David Sherfinski

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/30/longtime-rep-henry-waxman-retire/#ixzz2ruAoqMNc
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:46:59 pm by happyg »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Longtime Rep. Henry Waxman to retire
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:07:09 pm »
Good, tell him to leave the fugly stick for the others.

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »
Ugh.  My eyes are bleeding now.
Fare-thee-well to another vicious leftist. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:01:18 pm »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:02:39 pm »
He's done enough damage for two.  Time to get out while the getting's good.  No doubt he'll be making seven figures plus with a lobbying firm within a year or so.