Author Topic: Rubio: Immigration Reform May Be Dead Till Obama Gone  (Read 2792 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio: Immigration Reform May Be Dead Till Obama Gone
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=549769

Newsmax
Rubio: Immigration Reform May Be Dead Till Obama Gone
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 02:27 PM

By: Melanie Batley

Sen. Marco Rubio suggested Wednesday that comprehensive immigration reform may have to wait until President Barack Obama leaves office because many lawmakers have little faith in the administration's willingness to enforce new immigration laws.

The Florida Republican, one of the chief architects of the Senate bipartisan immigration overhaul bill passed last year, also told reporters there is an emerging consensus on key provisions of legislation but lawmakers are still divided over proposals for a pathway to citizenship for the nation's 11 million undocumented immigrants.

"I don't know if it's going to happen this year; I don't know if it's going to happen with this administration," the freshman lawmaker said at a breakfast with reporters sponsored by The Wall Street Journal.

According to USA Today, Rubio said lawmakers will need to have confidence that any agreement will include the adequate enforcement of tighter security and border controls. At the moment. he said the lack of faith in the administration is a "real impediment" to achieving reform.

"I think it's a fundamental challenge right now," he said.

The senator cited the IRS scandal, the Benghazi controversy, and decisions involving the implementation of the Affordable Care Act as issues which have contributed to the loss of trust required to push immigration reform forward.

In his State of the Union Address on Tuesday, Obama renewed his call for Congress to "fix our broken immigration system," noting at the same time the progress made by the Senate but the House's failure to take the Senate bill move forward.

"Let's get immigration reform done this year. Let's get it done. It's time," he declared.

House Republicans led by Speaker John Boehner are preparing to unveil a major immigration initiative this week, which is expected to include strengthening border security, creating new visas for foreign workers, and a process for achieving legalization, but not necessarily citizenship for undocumented immigrants

Rubio said that while it is better to put in place a system for immigrants to become citizens, he is willing to discuss the anticipated House proposal that would establish a better pathway to legalization, according to The Hill.

"Do I think it's in the best interest of this country to have millions of people here who can never become Americans? I don't," he said. But he added, "Is that better than the status quo? Yes."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Rubio: Immigration Reform May Be Dead Till Obama Gone
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:01 pm »
God knows I hope it is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 03:34:40 pm »
I'd be happy if they'd enforce the laws on the books.

And no, I'm not advocating mass deportations. Those people were lured here, many have made a life here, we're obligated to offer them a path to citizenship.

We are not obligated to continue to lure illegal immigrants, and ignore border crossings.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:47:30 pm »

And until they do what makes anyone think they would enforce new ones?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:15:53 pm »

And no, I'm not advocating mass deportations. Those people were lured here, many have made a life here, we're obligated to offer them a path to citizenship.

We are not obligated to continue to lure illegal immigrants, and ignore border crossings.

It's a simple concept so few seem capable of comprehending. No one is talking deportation.  Just turn off the freebies to all but American Citizens here legally.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:50:26 am »
It's a simple concept so few seem capable of comprehending. No one is talking deportation.  Just turn off the freebies to all but American Citizens here legally.

THANK YOU!!!

Perfect summary. Why the hell the Republicans can't put it that simply is beyond me.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:48:45 am »
What freebies are you talking about please? 
No Social Security?
No Unemployment Insurance?
No Obamacare?
No food stamps?
No in state tuition?
No student aid?

If the now legal illegals are to receive no SS, UI, or medicare then I don't see how they can be forced to pay the payroll taxes deduced from their pay.  I don't see how the businesses can be forced to pay their share of those taxes either.  are these the "freebies?"  cause a lot of illegals are already paying into those freebies.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:19:32 pm »
No Social Security?
No Obamacare?
No food stamps?
No in state tuition?
No student aid?

If the now legal illegals are to receive no SS, UI, or medicare then I don't see how they can be forced to pay the payroll taxes deduced from their pay.  I don't see how the businesses can be forced to pay their share of those taxes either.  are these the "freebies?"  cause a lot of illegals are already paying into those freebies.

Glad you asked!  How about 5 Billion in Earned income Credits?  They pay no income taxes but get a free welfare check from the IRS.  They get free schooling for their children and we have to hire special teachers because they cannot speak English.  We have to build new schools.  They get free treatment from emergency room hospitals that we all have to pay.  Their anchor babies get Medicaid and they get money for their children.  Their anchor babies get all the food stamps, SSI, etc. since they improperly are classified US citizens.    According to the Heritage Foundation, the cost of a illegal family is approximately $14,000 per year to the US taxpayers.  Do you still want to weep because they "may" not get the pittance that they pay in social security taxes?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »
No Social Security?
No Obamacare?
No food stamps?
No in state tuition?
No student aid?

Everything you listed plus a lot more! I would make it illegal to hire, or in any other manner,  provide aid and comfort to a felon of any type!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:55:14 pm »
Everything you listed plus a lot more! I would make it illegal to hire, or in any other manner,  provide aid and comfort to a felon of any type!

I'd not go that far. If they have done their time, I'd hire them. Better they work than head back out to commit another crime. Don't see why they should be able to draw bennies though, until they have worked enough to have paid off the cost of their keep in prison.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 03:00:03 pm »
I'd not go that far. If they have done their time, I'd hire them. Better they work than head back out to commit another crime. Don't see why they should be able to draw bennies though, until they have worked enough to have paid off the cost of their keep in prison.

I agree! I should have used the word fugitive instead of felon. Sorry for the confusion

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:19:32 pm »

So what would you do with all of those unemployed and permanently unemployable felons??  Should they just wander in the wilderness someplace until they die???  Maybe we should sentence them to death and harvest their healthy organs for the benefit of sick non felons???

Seriously...

:smokin:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »
So what would you do with all of those unemployed and permanently unemployable felons??  Should they just wander in the wilderness someplace until they die???  Maybe we should sentence them to death and harvest their healthy organs for the benefit of sick non felons???

Seriously...

:smokin:

See my post right above this one! I was thinking fugitive but wrote felon and upon reflection even that is redundant as it already is illegal to give aid and comfort to a fugitive!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:31:57 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:32:02 pm »
I agree! I should have used the word fugitive instead of felon. Sorry for the confusion

Happens, brother!  :beer:

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »
Glad you asked!  How about 5 Billion in Earned income Credits?  They pay no income taxes but get a free welfare check from the IRS.  They get free schooling for their children and we have to hire special teachers because they cannot speak English.  We have to build new schools.  They get free treatment from emergency room hospitals that we all have to pay.  Their anchor babies get Medicaid and they get money for their children.  Their anchor babies get all the food stamps, SSI, etc. since they improperly are classified US citizens.    According to the Heritage Foundation, the cost of a illegal family is approximately $14,000 per year to the US taxpayers.  Do you still want to weep because they "may" not get the pittance that they pay in social security taxes?

I believe that it was Milton Friedman that pointed out that a large welfare state and open borders is a tidy recipe for disaster decades ago...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 05:30:25 pm »
I believe that it was Milton Friedman that pointed out that a large welfare state and open borders is a tidy recipe for disaster decades ago...

You are absolutely right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3eyJIbSgdSE#t=0

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 07:04:16 pm »
I believe Rubio is a good Republican.  A good opposition and alternative to the Democrats' agenda.

Therefore, my take ....the only thing that makes sense to me...is that the GOP is purposely putting it out to the public that "we're eager to assist in bringing about comprehensive immigration reform....aka amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants already here.

The reason?

They can drag this out without being portrayed as being "ANTI-IMMIGRANT" and all the negative connotations associated with that....all the way past the November mid-terms, where we're expected to control both Houses as we did back during Clinton's administration.

The REAL object is to castrate Barack Obama politically.   can't do that without the Senate and House.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »
I believe Rubio is a good Republican.  A good opposition and alternative to the Democrats' agenda.

Therefore, my take ....the only thing that makes sense to me...is that the GOP is purposely putting it out to the public that "we're eager to assist in bringing about comprehensive immigration reform....aka amnesty for millions of illegal immigrants already here.

The reason?

They can drag this out without being portrayed as being "ANTI-IMMIGRANT" and all the negative connotations associated with that....all the way past the November mid-terms, where we're expected to control both Houses as we did back during Clinton's administration.

The REAL object is to castrate Barack Obama politically.   can't do that without the Senate and House.

If it was any other party, I'd agree with you. It's a smart bit of calculation to take it off the table for the mid terms. With the GOP though ....

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 07:14:34 pm »
If it was any other party, I'd agree with you. It's a smart bit of calculation to take it off the table for the mid terms. With the GOP though ....

Yep, I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe the GOP is that smart.

Offline katzenjammer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
Thank you for posting!!

You are most welcome!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 09:04:32 pm »
Yep, I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe the GOP is that smart.

Not only are they not that smart they are supidly taking Obamacare off the map with this idiotic move.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:34 pm »
On Michael Savage's show this afternoon, he interviewed (rare) a Texas Congressman who is on the Committee that funds $$$.

He indicated that at the GOP meeting on the shores of the Maryland Eastern Shore Meeting, the "leadership" promised right out of the gate that they would not bring any immigration reform to a vote UNLESS they had a CLEAR majority of the House.

It reinforces my belief that this action about reform is all smoke and mirrors until we get control of the Congress.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 11:35:41 pm »
A recent Kaiser foundation poll found that 70% of immigrants want large government. they like the idea of wealth redistribution and a government safety net. 27% of immigrants support the 2nd Amendment.

They are a Progressive Democrats dream of people conditioned to huge government programs and anti gun because of the totalitarian countries many of them originate from.  With them forming a majority, the fundamental change that O is always talking about becomes reality. 

Offline Relic

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 12:02:39 am »
With them forming a majority, the fundamental change that O is always talking about becomes reality.

It's my opinion that the fundamental change has happened. We will see if I'm right I November.

I hope I'm wrong.