Author Topic: Jobless Claims Rise More Than Expected  (Read 1036 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jobless Claims Rise More Than Expected
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=549892

Newsmax
Jobless Claims Rise More Than Expected
Thursday, January 30, 2014 08:36 AM

By: REUTERS

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits rose more than expected last week, but the underlying trend suggested the labor market continued to heal.

Initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 348,000, the Labor Department said on Thursday. Claims for the prior week were revised to show 3,000 more applications received than previously reported.

Economists polled by Reuters had forecast first-time applications for jobless benefits rising to 330,000 in the week ended Jan. 25.

The four-week moving average for new claims, considered a better measure of underlying labor market conditions as it irons out week-to-week volatility, edged up 750 to 333,000.

A Labor Department analyst said claims for Louisiana were estimated because of inclement weather, adding there were no special factors affecting the state level data.

Last week's claims data include the Martin Luther King Jr. Day and filings tend to be volatile around federal holidays.

Job growth slowed sharply in December, but economists shrugged off the surprise meager increase in payrolls, pointing to freezing temperatures that hit sectors such as construction and transportation.

Federal Reserve officials also appeared to dismiss the slowdown in payrolls, saying at the end of a two-day policy meeting on Wednesday that the labor market on balance showed further improvement.

The U.S. central bank announced another reduction to its monthly bond purchases on Wednesday.

The claims report showed the number of people still receiving benefits under regular state programs after an initial week of aid fell 16,000 to 2.99 million in the week ended Jan. 18.

The so-called continuing claims have been elevated in recent weeks and some economist say the cold weather could be preventing many recipients from going out to search for work and companies to delay hiring.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Jobless Claims Rise More Than Expected
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:44:36 pm »
The fix is obvious to the Democrat politicians, the media, and a big slice of the American public...

Raise the minimum wage
Hammer the rich over income inequality.

That will fix everything.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:49 pm »
"More than expected" - i.e., "unexpected" - a worn-out word the meaning of which every liberal seems to have forgotten.  This would be unexpected only by those with liberal political blinders on.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:06 am »
The fix is obvious to the Democrat politicians, the media, and a big slice of the American public...

Raise the minimum wage
Hammer the rich over income inequality.

That will fix everything.

You'd be surprised at how many believe just that.  We have only one Obama supporter where I work, but he was ranting today about how we need to raise the minimum wage to at least $10 per hour because it will be "fair" and help everyone spend more money on food.  When I pointed out that it means food will go up, he changed the subject that the minimum wage needs to go up to take money from the greedy business owners, CEOs, and corporations.

So I tried Rush's strategy of saying why not raise it to $20 which he thought was be good because it means less money for "the rich."  I got it up to $50 per hour because he said that is probably as high as it should go for the time being.

The true believers will never accept reality.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:56:45 am »
You'd be surprised at how many believe just that.  We have only one Obama supporter where I work, but he was ranting today about how we need to raise the minimum wage to at least $10 per hour because it will be "fair" and help everyone spend more money on food.  When I pointed out that it means food will go up, he changed the subject that the minimum wage needs to go up to take money from the greedy business owners, CEOs, and corporations.

So I tried Rush's strategy of saying why not raise it to $20 which he thought was be good because it means less money for "the rich."  I got it up to $50 per hour because he said that is probably as high as it should go for the time being.

The true believers will never accept reality.

:silly:

I would have loved to have seen that discussion.  It reminds me a little of one of my professors in college.  He would start off with a question on morals/philosophy and push it to the point where the last student standing had to either accept a catastrophic result - a terrorist nuke going off in the middle of NYC - or violate his stated principles and, as was usually the case, torture the single-mother member of the terrorist cell to get info from her about where the nuke was hidden.  Generally every student eventually gave in to using less than principled methods to extract info rather than simply let the nuke go off.  Once he'd gotten that last student to that point, he'd change directions with the comment "now that we've established you're a prostitute, let's discuss your price." 

Apparently you managed to establish that first point.