Author Topic: Multiple sclerosis may be triggered by FOOD: Toxin produced by common bacteria could cause disease  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2547543/Multiple-sclerosis-triggered-FOOD.html

Multiple sclerosis may be triggered by FOOD: Toxin produced by common bacteria could cause disease

Microbiologists from the Weill Cornell Medical College, New York City, built on previous research that suggested epsilon toxin could trigger M.S.

Epsilon toxin is produced by strains of Clostridium perfringens - a spore-forming bacterium that can cause of foodborne illness

Development of a neutralising antibody or vaccine directed against the epsilon toxin might stop the progression of the disease

By Sarah Griffiths

PUBLISHED: 15:16 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:16 EST, 28 January 2014

Multiple sclerosis (MS) may be triggered by a toxin produced by common bacteria found in food, according to a new study.

The inflammatory disease of the central nervous system is thought to be triggered in a genetically susceptible individual by a combination of one or more environmental factors, but the triggers are still unknown.

U.S. scientists have built on previous studies that suggested epsilon toxin, which is produced by common bacteria, could trigger MS.

Multiple sclerosis - the inflammatory disease of the central nervous system - is thought to be triggered in a genetically susceptible individual by a combination of one or more environmental factors, one of which could be a bacteria found in food. A scan is pictured

CAUSES OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

MS is known as an autoimmune condition.

This is where something goes wrong with the immune system - the body’s defence against infection - and it mistakenly attacks healthy body tissue – in this case, the myelin covering of nerves.

This can cause multiple sections of the brain and spinal column to become damaged and hardened, which can disrupt the nerve signals passing through these areas.

Exactly what causes the immune system to act in this way is unclear, but most experts think a combination of genetic and environmental factors are involved.

This new study finds that epsilon toxin could be one of the triggers.

Source: NHS Choices

MS is characterised by blood brain permeability and demyelination - a process in which the insulating myelin sheaths of neurons are damaged.

Microbiologist Jennifer Linden of Weill Cornell Medical College, New York City, said: ‘We provide evidence that supports epsilon toxin’s ability to cause permeability and show that epsilon toxin kills the brain’s myelin producing cells, oligodendrocytes - the same cells that die in MS lesions.’

She presented the new research at the ASM Biodefense and Emerging Diseases Research Meeting in the U.S.

‘We also show that epsilon toxin targets other cells types associated with MS inflammation such as the retinal vascular and meningeal cells,’ (cells of the membranes that envelop the central nervous system), she said.

‘Epsilon toxin may be responsible for triggering MS.’

Epsilon toxin is produced by certain strains of Clostridium perfringens (pictured) which is a spore-forming bacterium that is one of the most common causes of foodborne illness

Previous studies have suggested that C. perfringens, and in particular, epsilon toxin, may play a role in triggering MS.

Late last year Dr Linden and her colleagues discovered C. perfringens type B - a strain that is not known to infect humans and produces the epsilon toxin - in a 21-year-old woman who was experiencing a flare-up of her MS.

To further test their hypothesis Dr Linden and her team studied the behaviour of the toxin in mice focusing on which cells it targeted.

They discovered that the toxin did target the brain cells associated with MS pathology, but that was not all they found.

Dr Linden said: ‘Originally, we only thought that epsilon toxin would target the brain endothelium cells and oligodendrocytes; we just happened to notice that it also bound to and killed meningeal cells (of neurons).’

‘This was exciting because it provides a possible explanation for meningeal inflammation and subpial cortical lesions exclusively observed in MS patients, but not fully understood.’

They also tested samples of local foods for the presence of C. perfringens and the toxin gene.

Of the 37 food samples, 13.5 per cent were positive for bacteria and almost three per cent were positive for the epsilon toxin gene.

Dr Linden said the findings are important scientists now know that the epsilon toxin is a trigger of MS.

Development of a neutralising antibody or vaccine directed against the epsilon toxin might stop the progression of the disease or prevent it from even developing, she added.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Very interesting.  This could be a serious corner turned in fighting MS.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
I am always wary of "breakthroughs" like this because so often it turns out to be false.

But from the article, it is not the food/bacteria that is the real cause.  It is something genetic that makes the person susceptible where anyone without the screwed up gene would never have a problem.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

I am always wary of "breakthroughs" like this because so often it turns out to be false.

But from the article, it is not the food/bacteria that is the real cause.  It is something genetic that makes the person susceptible where anyone without the screwed up gene would never have a problem.

It sounds like it's both, which is generally how most inherited diseases go; you have a predisposition toward something that is triggered by something in the environment, a trigger that people without such a genetic predisposition do not react to.

Also, if it's confirmed, it would (a) make it a lot easier to help people who have MS now manage their MS and could provide a way to protect people who have the genetic predisposition; since genetic engineering isn't a viable option yet, this would be a very good option.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
My mother's neighbor's daughter was diagnosed with MS - maybe twenty years ago - they told her she would eventually be in a wheelchair.  She refused to accept that and put herself and her family on a strict organic vegetarian diet.  Today, she is miraculously well and healthy.  Somehow she made a food connection back then to the disease.   

Her father had Parkinson's, and I remember my mother commenting that she didn't like that he was always spraying pesticides on his apple trees and it would blow over into her yard.  She always thought the pesticides were the cause of his Parkinson's and his daughter's MS. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

My mother's neighbor's daughter was diagnosed with MS - maybe twenty years ago - they told her she would eventually be in a wheelchair.  She refused to accept that and put herself and her family on a strict organic vegetarian diet.  Today, she is miraculously well and healthy.  Somehow she made a food connection back then to the disease.   

Her father had Parkinson's, and I remember my mother commenting that she didn't like that he was always spraying pesticides on his apple trees and it would blow over into her yard.  She always thought the pesticides were the cause of his Parkinson's and his daughter's MS.

Remember Ann Romney has MS and she has slowly managed to lead a decent life.  When you have an autoimmune disease you can either fight your way back or die.  I know a lady here in town with MS, she told me she was fine and then one morning she woke up and couldn't walk, it came on just that quickly.

I have Lupus (systemic - attacked my kidneys) and Sjogren's.. like most autoimmune diseases Lupus and Sjogrens has a link back to the Epstein Bar virus which can lie dormant in our bodies until we are subjected to stress and then it can become active literally overnight (as it did with me).  Epstein Bar is what ultimately killed the boy in the bubble.. we are all exposed to it practically from the start of our life, but when you have someone with a severe immune compromised issue like this boy did (thus the bubble) once exposed to the virus it can kill rapidly (like it did him).... 

What I learned early-on is the best way to put yourself into remission or semi-remission (I am stable at this time) is to go through and toss absolutely everything in the cupboard that is full of preservatives, give up sugar, heavily processed foods, etc.. this is why I eat the way I do today.  When I was first diagnosed I could barely get through the day on my feet and a day trip to Las Vegas or out on the lake would put me in bed for days to a week...  it was a total change of diet, taking the correct supplements, and interestingly enough getting to bed at dark that slowly helped me to where I am today (and back to being a night owl).  The reason to get to bed at dark is the liver does it's healing work at night and you have to be resting when it is at work.   

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

I've always heard the body heals itself when you're asleep.  I think our environment, the food we eat, the water we drink, is a factor in a lot of these autoimmune diseases.  I have diabetes and I can control it with the proper diet and exercise without medications.  Not everyone can, but people owe it to themselves to try that route first instead of going the easy way, just dropping a pill.  Many times the pill is more dangerous in the long run.

Offline Rapunzel

I've always heard the body heals itself when you're asleep.  I think our environment, the food we eat, the water we drink, is a factor in a lot of these autoimmune diseases.  I have diabetes and I can control it with the proper diet and exercise without medications.  Not everyone can, but people owe it to themselves to try that route first instead of going the easy way, just dropping a pill.  Many times the pill is more dangerous in the long run.

My husbands father, grandmother sister and brother were all insulin-dependent diabetics. George was glucose intolerant and we learned to keep his blood sugar relatively stable through diet, not always simple to do you have to be vigilant (as you well know). What was difficult was days he would have to have a fasting blood test and couldn't eat something first thing in the morning, he had veins that tended to roll and 9 times out of 10 the VA could never get his blood drawn and would send him over to Lab Corp where he'd have to wait his turn for a blood draw - by that time he'd start having the shakes. He always took something with him in the car so he could eat as soon as they were done with him.  When he had his cerebral hemorrhage and was on life support in a coma his blood sugar went totally whacko and they were giving him insulin ever couple of hours and it still would not bring the sugar down to a normal range.. the area of his brain most affected was for all his vitals like temperature, glucose, blood pressure.

Offline alicewonders

Both of my parents are diabetic.  My mother is in the late stage of Alzheimers and lately her blood sugar has been running really high.  I didn't think about it possibly being because a part of her brain that controls that might be shutting down.  It's insidious. 

When I was taking oral medication for the diabetes - afternoons at work were terrible.  We would be busy, and I wouldn't always be able to eat when I should - my blood sugar would start dipping like that & I would get shaky and irritable.  My brain would go foggy.  One time I checked it and my sugar was down to 40!  My husband would have to say, "Go Eat!".  I would never realize what was causing it.  Now that I'm controlling it on my own, I don't have the severe dips like that although if I go awhile without eating I can definitely feel the shakes coming on. 

Following a low carb diet has been a lifesaver for me. 

Offline Rapunzel

Both of my parents are diabetic.  My mother is in the late stage of Alzheimers and lately her blood sugar has been running really high.  I didn't think about it possibly being because a part of her brain that controls that might be shutting down.  It's insidious. 

When I was taking oral medication for the diabetes - afternoons at work were terrible.  We would be busy, and I wouldn't always be able to eat when I should - my blood sugar would start dipping like that & I would get shaky and irritable.  My brain would go foggy.  One time I checked it and my sugar was down to 40!  My husband would have to say, "Go Eat!".  I would never realize what was causing it.  Now that I'm controlling it on my own, I don't have the severe dips like that although if I go awhile without eating I can definitely feel the shakes coming on. 

Following a low carb diet has been a lifesaver for me.

I always knew when George's dipped because he would get really loopy and I'd tell him to eat some turkey or cheese, anything with protein. I also had him start eating protein at bedtime to hold him through th enight - this helped a lot. It was a trick from the Zone Diet - he said eating protein of some kind at bedtime helps keeping everything burning the right way while you sleep.