Author Topic: Super Bowl XLVIII  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Super Bowl XLVIII
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:20 pm »
Time to start laying important body parts on the 'ol chopping block...

** Seattle by 17, final score Seattle 38 Denver 21,

** Broncos franchise sets a new NFL record with their sixth loss of a Superbowl

** 2 rushing touchdowns for Marshawn Lynch along with Superbowl MVP

** Lynch rushes for 250+ yards setting a new NFL record.

** Wilson throws for 2 touchdowns, runs for 1 more that sets a new NFL record

Seattle kicks one field goal that breaks the NFL record for the longest kick.

** Seahawks' Richard Sherman intercepts Peyton Manning three times.

Fire at will.....

:beer:

Offline flowers

Re: Super Bowl XLVIII
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:32 pm »
bkmk

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:29 pm »

Fire at will.....

Put down the bong and walk away slowly.......

Denver wins going away!  This is Peyton......not Eli!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »

Put down the bong and walk away slowly.......

Denver wins going away!  This is Peyton......not Eli!

I like your response better!!   :beer:

Go Broncos!!!!   :cheerlead: :cheerlead:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
When will the NFL stop with the Roman numerals? Tired of having to review my ancient history book when looking through sports trivia.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »
When will the NFL stop with the Roman numerals? Tired of having to review my ancient history book when looking through sports trivia.

You think you have it bad?

I remember Green Bay beating the Chiefs in the 1st Super Bowl, 35-10.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:39 pm »

Fire at will.....

Setting the bar just a wee bit high, but I think I have dreamed a couple of those outcomes. I do expect it to be a close game and you could not have planned a better match up - both #1 seeds and the best defense playing the best offense. I do think my Seahawks will prevail and once again show that the best defense wins over the best offense in Super Bowls.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:44 pm »

So what does a 30,000 screaming 12th man send-off look like?  Somebody driving just behind the buses filmed it.    Down in bed with the flu I dragged myself out of the house to go to this. It was the most amazing show of support I think ever mustered for a team that I know of.   If you look real close you may even see me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EdySjea-JU

GO HAWKS!
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:15:02 am »

Here is a preview of the Super Bowl ads. My favorite is still the Pepsi "I Like Halftime" which they have been showing all post season. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-xlviii-advertising-roundup-2014-1?op=1

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 03:19:36 am »

At some point in time they are going to have to move away from using roman numerals.

Can you imagine
Super Bowl MMMCDXLVIII

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:07 am »
The Top-12 Most-Ridiculous Questions Overheard at #SBMediaDay

12. "Does your hair factor into your play?"

To quarterback Russell Wilson, on his curly and lengthy locks.

11. "People think you look like the actor Owen Wilson, what do you think?"

10. "What advice would you give Justin Beiber?"

9. "Can you re-enact Richard Sherman's postgame interview?"

Directed at strong safety Kam Chancellor.

8. "The Seahawks have a lot of players with long hair. You have long hair, can I interview you?"

Directed at Seahawks Public Relations intern Myron Beck, who played linebacker at Washington State University.

7. "Who has the better beard?"

Directed at center Max Unger and defensive end Michael Bennett, who fielded questions side-by-side.

6. "Do you have sex on gameday?"

Directed at linebacker Heath Farwell.

5. "Who was your favorite 90s boy band?"

Directed tight end Zach Miller.

3. "Who do you like better, Seattle women or New Jersey women?"

Directed at fullback Michael Robinson, who replied, "I like my wife."

2. "With Dick Clark's departure, do you consider yourself the world's youngest teenager?"

Directed at head coach Pete Carroll.

1. "Are you hoping to win this game?"

Directed at cornerback Walter Thurmond.

4. "Can I have a hug?"

Directed at tight end Zach Miller.

Directed at defensive tackle Brandon Mebane.

Directed at head coach Pete Carroll, who replied, "I think...my nose isn't nearly as crooked."

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/The-Top-12-Most-Ridiculous-Questions-Overheard-at-SBMediaDay/60461054-6a94-4162-bf5b-d2c26eacbcde

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 01:09:42 pm »
At some point in time they are going to have to move away from using roman numerals.

Can you imagine
Super Bowl MMMCDXLVIII

My argument against it, exactly. My centurion days are long over and anymore I have some difficulty ciphering Roman.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »
I don't want to be a downer here, but. It seems to me football and beer serve similar function to bread and circuses. Keep the folks inebriated and happy with the status quo. Don't think too much while the powers that be steal your liberty.

Wow! Did you see that fantastic 90 yard touchdown run!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »
I don't want to be a downer here, but. It seems to me football and beer serve similar function to bread and circuses. Keep the folks inebriated and happy with the status quo. Don't think too much while the powers that be steal your liberty.

Wow! Did you see that fantastic 90 yard touchdown run!

Sal.....it sure beats sitting in a stadium seat and watching Conservatives fight gladiator style.

If it weren't the Superbowl, it would be March Madness....or the Stanley Cup Playoffs, etc..

Like Roseanne RoseannaOceander once said..."It's always something!"

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
I say the same thing about all big sports. And, I watch it, too. But, I'm not a fanatic about any of it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 01:52:31 pm »
Broncos, Seahawks party hard in NYC
By Emily Smith and Stephanie Smith, PageSix
January 29, 2014 | 3:35am

The Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks partied hard Monday night in Manhattan before buckling down for the Super Bowl, chowing down on grade-A steaks and swilling drinks at downtown clubs.

Members of the Broncos defensive lineup Steven Johnson, Robert Ayers, Kayvon Webster, Jeremy Mincey, Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams, John Youboty and Terrance Knighton had dinner at sushi restaurant Tokya in Midtown East. But the athletes found fish too light and requested a steak dinner.

“The Broncos thought sushi was too dainty a dish for the main course,” a source told Page Six. “They ate tons of sushi rolls, every roll imaginable, then said they needed more protein and demanded steak. So the restaurant had to send someone out for 25 pounds of steak.”

The athletes also preferred sturdier cutlery — when presented with chopsticks, “They immediately asked for forks,” our source said.

At STK Downtown, Seattle Seahawks Mike Robinson, Ricardo Lockette and Arceto Clark were overheard discussing “beating” Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. At nearby Catch restaurant, Bronco Julius Thomas dined at one table while Seahawks Golden Tate, Jermaine Kearse, Breno Giacomini, Byron Maxwell and Russell Okung held down another.

Broncos captain Wes Welker, fellow wide receivers Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Trindon Holliday and running back Knowshon Moreno arrived at Avenue nightclub in Chelsea at about 11:30 p.m. They danced to DJ Ross One’s hip-hop playlist and drank from bottles of Dom Perignon sent over to their table.

Cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Chris Harris, tight end Julius Thomas and linebacker Wesley Woodyard walked in an hour later, and Manny Ramirez, Louis Vasquez and Zane Beadles at 1:30 a.m. The Broncos decided to call it a night before 3 a.m. Monday might have been their last late night — sources said players have a 1 a.m. curfew for the rest of the week.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »
I say the same thing about all big sports. And, I watch it, too. But, I'm not a fanatic about any of it.

Oh yeah, basically all of professional and big time college sports, along with the 24x7 coverage of "pop culture" is certainly functioning as Bread & Circuses!!

I watch and follow more than my share of Sports, almost all types, and I do it with full knowledge that it is a wonderful "escape" for me!!  While I am intensely focused on a sporting event, a team, a season, etc., my mind is drawn away from the travesties unfolding in the rest of the world each day!!  But I've often wondered, if we didn't have such constant and immediate access to the modern day Bread & Circuses, would things be different?  Would more people be paying attention to the kind of things that are discussed and read here all day?  I do think so, but that is a genie that is not going back into the bottle any time soon....

That said, I am picking Denver.  I will come back to the thread before Sunday evening with my "bold" score prediction!!  lol

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 02:55:37 pm »
Oh, yes, it's time for my Reckless Prediction again.

I started predicting Super Bowls back in 2005 (Super Bowl XXXIX). In that time, I'm perfect against the spread, except for two games.

Both games involved Peyton Manning. I predicted his Colts to lose to the Bears (he won) and beat the Saints, covering the spread (he lost outright).

Right now, Denver's only a 2.5-point favorite.

OK, I'll go all in. I think Seattle covers the spread and wins outright for their first ever Super Bowl title. I saw an interesting statistic on Fox Sports the other day: Peyton's performance drops precipitously in the cold; when it's hot, he's hot, when it's not, he's not.

That and I do not like Denver. After the Tebow fiasco and dumping Peyton Hillis because he was white, they are (insert not so nice epithet) of the highest degree. I was a fan of them years ago, but no more.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »

I get your point, but worrying about and discussing politics 24/7  365 days a year is no way to go through life.  For our own sanity we all need to step away from it for a bit of a break from time to time and discuss sports, our favorite music or movie, or even our favorite redhead. 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 07:05:29 pm »
Cute bunch of first Graders start spreading the news.

Those outside of Seahawk territory may not understand the "Skittles" in the video.   Marshawn Lynch eats Skittles while on the sidelines to boost his energy and settle a nervous stomach.  Fans found out about it and now every time he makes a touchdown skittles rain down from the crowd down on him.  Must be hell for the grounds crew.

NY, NY Go Seahawks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vH4hxgzHA

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

.... but worrying about and discussing politics 24/7  365 days a year is no way to go through life..... 

At a heightened level, it is mental illness to post manically every day, throughout the day, night, week etc..

But the person will not admit to having a mental illness, such is the power of denial.

That said, I have no favorite or predictions for the game (a benefit of living in the greater Lost Angeles metro area--free of prejudices and free of teams). I hope it is close to the end, played and officiated fairly, nobody is hurt seriously, etc.

Being from the West, I have already "won" with both teams coming from my region.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:51 pm »
At a heightened level, it is mental illness to post manically every day, throughout the day, night, week etc..

But the person will not admit to having a mental illness, such is the power of denial.

Queeg, you really are hilarious.  :silly:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 09:38:52 pm »
"Ain't no talkin' never won me nuthin'" -- Seahawk Marshawn Lynch during his brief Superbowl Press Day interview.....

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 07:11:48 pm »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:51 pm »
To date the Simpsons has a zero for zero record so I would not be booking a flight to Vegas and laying a bunch of money down based on a 9-year old cartoon.    Now Eli the Ape from the Salt Lake City Zoo however, now that has odds makers taking notice. Thursday morning Eli swiftly knocked down a papier-mache helmet bearing the Seahawks logo, signaling his pick, said Erica Hansen of Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City. “He made his pick without any hesitation,” Hansen said.
The 13-year-old primate hasn’t been wrong since 2006. Last year, Eli charged out and knocked over a papier-mache goal post decorated with the Ravens logo. Sure enough, the Ravens beat the 49ers 34-31.