Author Topic: Venture Capitalist Apologizes on 'Kristallnacht,' Not Backing Down on Class War Comments  (Read 543 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=549493

Newsmax
Venture Capitalist Apologizes on 'Kristallnacht,' Not Backing Down on Class War Comments
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 01:54 PM

By: Melissa Clyne

Venture capitalist Tom Perkins has apologized for using the term "Kristallnacht" to draw parallels between the uber-wealthy —  known as the 1 percent — and the 1 percent of Jews living under German rule during the time of Hitler’s rule.

In a letter to the editor published Jan. 24 in The Wall Street Journal, Perkins, a founder of Silicon Valley’s Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, suggested that Kristallnacht was metaphorically tantamount to the Occupy movement’s war on the rich.

“I used the word because during the Occupy of San Francisco by the Occupy Wall Street Crowd, they broke the windows in the Wells Fargo Bank, they marched up to our automobile strip on Van Ness Avenue and broke all the windows on all the luxury car dealerships, and I saw that, I remembered that the police (during Kristallnacht) just stood by frozen, and I thought, well, this is how Kristallnacht began, so that word was in my mind,” Perkins explained in a Bloomberg TV interview aired on the network on Monday.

At least 91 Jews died and 30,000 people were arrested and incarcerated in concentration camps during the November 1938 Kristallnacht attacks in Germany and Austria.

Kristallnacht translates as "Crystal Night" and references the legions of broken glass littering the streets following the coordinated attacks of Jewish stores, homes, businesses, and synagogues.

“It was terrible word to have chosen,” Perkins explained both in the Bloomberg interview and in a letter of apology for his misjudgment to the Anti-Defamation League’s Abe Foxman in which he wrote that he deeply regretted any implication – overt or implied – of anti-Semitism.

He does not, however, apologize for his position that there is an ongoing, unjustified war on the rich in this country.

“As a class, we are beginning to engage in class warfare,” he said. “The rich, as a class, are threatened through higher taxes, higher regulation and so forth and so that is my message.”
The wealthy are not responsible for income inequality as they are the job creators, he noted.

“It’s absurd to demonize the rich for being rich and for doing what the rich do, which is get richer by creating opportunity for others,” according to Perkins.

He recognizes there’s a vast income gap between the classes, a situation Perkins attributes to higher costs caused by more government than is needed and a difficult economic climate for small businesses to form and prosper.

“I think the solution is less interference, lower taxes, let the rich do what the rich do, which is get richer, but along the way they bring everyone else with them when the system is working,” he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

"Night of broken glass" was an appropriate description of OWS' behavior.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rapunzel

"Night of broken glass" was an appropriate description of OWS' behavior.

It is exactly what Kristallnacht was, he never should have backed down.  Class warfare is dangerous on oh too many levels.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

It is exactly what Kristallnacht was, he never should have backed down.  Class warfare is dangerous on oh too many levels.

Completely agree.  He should not have backed down.  He was absolutely right.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.