Author Topic: State of the Union: No More Mr. Nice President By David Corn  (Read 936 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
State of the Union: No More Mr. Nice President By David Corn
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:06 pm »
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/state-of-the-union-obama-preview

State of the Union: No More Mr. Nice President
Obama needs to go beyond doubling down on his progressive agenda and take a stab at boldly defining the nation's political narrative.

—By David Corn
| Tue Jan. 28, 2014 3:00 AM GMT

A year ago, President Barack Obama delivered two speeches that sent a clear signal: His second term would be much devoted to a progressive agenda. In his second inaugural speech, he reaffirmed the progressive tradition of the nation, celebrating the value of "collective action," defending the social safety net, and challenging the tea party's core message. (Government programs, he said, "do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.") The policy matters he raised were left-of-center priorities: protecting Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security, addressing climate change, ensuring equal pay for women, promoting marriage equality, ending the wars he inherited, securing immigration reform, opposing restrictive voter identification programs, and building infrastructure. Three weeks later, in a State of the Union address, Obama reiterated that he would pursue a distinctly progressive to-do list that included universal preschool, boosting the minimum wage, and passing gun safety legislation in the wake of the horrific massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Yet the fifth year of his presidency turned out not to be a grand time of progressive achievement, and in the State of the Union speech he will deliver Tuesday night, Obama faces a challenge: how to advance this progressive agenda in a way that it doesn't seem doomed.

continued at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: State of the Union: No More Mr. Nice President By David Corn
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:49:52 pm »
Yes. 

He just needs to announce that he is now a leftist dictator who will force his minority agenda on the American people, and that the majority of Americans can go some place else if they don't like it.

That's the ticket.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »
Obama was never a nice guy. Neither is David Corn. If he comes off as a dictator, I wonder how many democrats will be 'shocked'?  :whistle:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:59:12 pm »
Yes. 

He just needs to announce that he is now a leftist dictator who will force his minority agenda on the American people, and that the majority of Americans can go some place else if they don't like it.

That's the ticket.

Conservatives are too chicken to do anything about anyway.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »
Yes. 

That's the ticket.

I honestly believe he could do it. I don't think he will, he'd rather be ex-president partying like a rock star. But, if he did that, under the guise of extraordinary times requiring it, the media would cheer. Most Americans wouldn't notice.

Our republic is dead, the body just hasn't assumed room temperature yet.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:13:35 pm »
It doesn't matter what he says.  NOBODY pays any attention to this charlatan.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:08:47 pm »
Conservatives are too chicken to do anything about anyway.

No argument there.

There will be one or two voices speaking up, and the rest will be cowering in the corner.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:26 pm »
I honestly believe he could do it. I don't think he will, he'd rather be ex-president partying like a rock star. But, if he did that, under the guise of extraordinary times requiring it, the media would cheer. Most Americans wouldn't notice.

Our republic is dead, the body just hasn't assumed room temperature yet.

I wish you were wrong about that, Relic, but I'm afraid you aren't........   **nononono*

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:50 pm »
Tonight the offical coup begins.   **nononono*

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:49 pm »
Tonight the offical coup begins.   **nononono*

There may be some in Congress that will go not gently into that good night ... One can pray.

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »
There may be some in Congress that will go not gently into that good night ... One can pray.
Please let that be true!!!!!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:32:00 pm »
Obama was never a nice guy. Neither is David Corn. If he comes off as a dictator, I wonder how many democrats will be 'shocked'?  :whistle:

David Corn is the guy who released the 47% hidden camera hit job on Romney
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:56 pm »
David Corn is the guy who released the 47% hidden camera hit job on Romney

David Corn has no lips.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:03:23 am by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.