Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »

Support the USO

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:40 PM »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz65AOjabtM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz65AOjabtM</a>
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
I highly doubt we'll see the cocky SOB who thought he could bully the justices of the Supreme Court.

But he did bully them. He was very successful. What has the SCOTUS ever done that Obama did not tell them to do?

Roberts declaring that the Obamacare fee is a "tax", and not a fine, was ridiculous and illegal by any rational measure. The Obama team had just spent weeks/months arguing that it was NOT a tax, and Roberts reversed that on his own volition, while failing to mention that if it is a 'tax', it is illegal as it did not originate in the House. His verdict and opinion was laughable, and stupid.

I agree with you that his arrogance has been slapped down a bit, but not by the Supreme Court or Congress. I would say his 'reality check' came mostly from other world leaders who openly ridicule and laugh at him.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. He will jump on the board, knock all the pieces over, crap on the board, and then strut around like he won." -- Vladimir Putin

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
and only last month SCOTUS - actually JOHN ROBERTS himself - refused to hear the case being brought over standing - since the senate took a bill which was not a spending bill from congress, stripped out the entire bill and inserted and passed OCare in it's place... totally illegal the way it was done and Roberts said the court will not hear the case.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:13:08 AM »

But he did bully them. He was very successful. What has the SCOTUS ever done that Obama did not tell them to do?

Roberts declaring that the Obamacare fee is a "tax", and not a fine, was ridiculous and illegal by any rational measure. The Obama team had just spent weeks/months arguing that it was NOT a tax, and Roberts reversed that on his own volition, while failing to mention that if it is a 'tax', it is illegal as it did not originate in the House. His verdict and opinion was laughable, and stupid.

I agree with you that his arrogance has been slapped down a bit, but not by the Supreme Court or Congress. I would say his 'reality check' came mostly from other world leaders who openly ridicule and laugh at him.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. He will jump on the board, knock all the pieces over, crap on the board, and then strut around like he won." -- Vladimir Putin

C.J. Roberts made a very wise decision and rendered a very good opinion, one that gives us a lot more ammunition, and a lot more cover, than we would have had if he had simply declared the individual mandate verboten.

Think about it:  back then we were still years from the rollout of Obastardcare and the democrats would have had sufficient time to fix the monstrosity to satisfy his objections to it, which would leave us in a much worse position than we are now.

For example, suppose Roberts had agreed that it wasn't a tax but something else that was verboten.  The simple fix for that is to make it a tax - impose a health insurance tax on everyone, and give an offsetting credit to people who go out and buy the sort of insurance the democrats want them to buy.  That would have made the individual mandate impregnable - I am still shocked at the colossal failure of imagination the democrats displayed when they failed to take that route.  In fact, they could have set up something along the lines of a mandatory retirement plan akin to the defined benefits plans or even a 401(k), but with the added wrinkle that contributions are mandatory - there would be a new payroll tax imposed requiring employers to withhold x% of employees' pay and contribute it to an employer-funded - or a government-managed - health insurance fund.  There would be a similar increase in the self-employment tax that would have to be contributed to a similar sort of plan.  Those plans would then provide insurance benefits to the contributors.  The redistribution of wealth would be accomplished by overtaxing those with higher incomes and undertaxing those with low incomes so that effectively those with low incomes are getting a subsidy that is paid for by those with high incomes.

Obama hasn't been able to bully the Supreme Court any more than any other president, other than FDR, who did manage to bully them.  I also have a slight sense that Sotomayor may ultimately prove a disappointment to Obastard and the leftists who pushed so hard for her appointment.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »
If what you say is true, and it may very well be, then America is so far down the tubes we have lost already. To say this horrible nightmare that happened was a good thing because it prevented a far worse thing, is a strange arguement. And in any case, there is nothing in this decison that pervents any of that from happening anyway.

I agree about Sotomayor.

Instead of playing 'tricks' and 'games', if that is what he did, the Republicans should just stand on straight principle. Had Roberts done that we would all be a lot better off today, and a lot of people, a lot of people, who are going to die in the next six months, would still be alive.

Offline Once-Ler

• How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Trump
    • Statement by President Trump
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:58 AM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:39:49 AM by Once-Ler »
No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God.  We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence.  We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.

Racism is evil.  And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans

-President Trump 8/14/17

Offline Once-Ler

• How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Trump
    • Statement by President Trump
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:38:37 AM »
C.J. Roberts made a very wise decision and rendered a very good opinion, one that gives us a lot more ammunition, and a lot more cover, than we would have had if he had simply declared the individual mandate verboten.

Think about it:  back then we were still years from the rollout of Obastardcare and the democrats would have had sufficient time to fix the monstrosity to satisfy his objections to it, which would leave us in a much worse position than we are now.

For example, suppose Roberts had agreed that it wasn't a tax but something else that was verboten.  The simple fix for that is to make it a tax - impose a health insurance tax on everyone, and give an offsetting credit to people who go out and buy the sort of insurance the democrats want them to buy.  That would have made the individual mandate impregnable - I am still shocked at the colossal failure of imagination the democrats displayed when they failed to take that route.  In fact, they could have set up something along the lines of a mandatory retirement plan akin to the defined benefits plans or even a 401(k), but with the added wrinkle that contributions are mandatory - there would be a new payroll tax imposed requiring employers to withhold x% of employees' pay and contribute it to an employer-funded - or a government-managed - health insurance fund.  There would be a similar increase in the self-employment tax that would have to be contributed to a similar sort of plan.  Those plans would then provide insurance benefits to the contributors.  The redistribution of wealth would be accomplished by overtaxing those with higher incomes and undertaxing those with low incomes so that effectively those with low incomes are getting a subsidy that is paid for by those with high incomes.

Obama hasn't been able to bully the Supreme Court any more than any other president, other than FDR, who did manage to bully them.  I also have a slight sense that Sotomayor may ultimately prove a disappointment to Obastard and the leftists who pushed so hard for her appointment.

Amazing analysis.  Can't say I've read anything like it elsewhere.  Bravo.
No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God.  We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence.  We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.

Racism is evil.  And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans

-President Trump 8/14/17

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf