Author Topic: Snowstorm, Named LEON  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Snowstorm, Named LEON
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:02 pm »
They have named the latest storm and over do it.

But this is freaky.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:34:13 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: The Latest 'Polar Vortex' Snowstorm
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:52 pm »
When I was a little boy one of my earliest memories is stepping off of our front porch into the snow, and it was so deep my Dad had to pull me up and out by the hood on my coat. 

I grew up in Ashtabula, Ohio about 1/2 a mile from Lake Erie, in one of the seven places on the planet that receive Lake Effect Snow.  That winter we were eating supper one night and it had been snowing for days.  The snow was so deep my Dad could not park the car in the garage which was toward the back of our yard.  Good thing because the snow load finally collapsed it flat that night.  It made quite a noise when it went, and that summer my brother and my cousin and I built a big treehouse out of the remains.

We lived next to the Harbor Post Office, and they plowed their parking lot straight back and piled it up that winter as high as a one story building.  We rode sleds on that iceberg until June when the last of it finally melted.  It was a sudden stop at the bottom when you hit the pavement, but a sled ride is a sled ride.  Unless you are a young idiot like one of my friends was when we were all 12, when Paul Babinski decided it was time to take an 8 man toboggan down the hill by himself, standing up holding onto the rope.  Of course he could not steer the sled, so there was no way to avoid the tree he hit, and he was lucky he only got speared through the leg with a sled slat....they gave him the bloody slat to keep after the surgeon removed it....

The City used to put snowplows on garbage trucks and the buses all used chains when it snowed and we managed just fine.  Stomping around in an endless snowfall at night is an amazing experience, and of course my brother and I had a large scorecard on our bedroom door to keep track of points scored throwing snowballs, including snowball volleys where we got chased, extra points for hitting a cop car, how far we could hop a bumper and slide along behind a car....as I think about it I am amazed at how much time we spent outside in a good snowstorm and how much fun we had.

And I do not recall ever hearing about naming a snowstorm...

:beer:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:27:35 pm by Chieftain »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Re: The Latest 'Polar Vortex' Snowstorm
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:27 pm »
The very northern end of it is supposed to clip me.  Between .1 and 1 inch, depending on how far north it goes.  Just enough snow to cover up the old dirty snow already on the ground.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Snowstorm, Named LEON
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:47:32 pm »
I grew up in Ashtabula, Ohio about 1/2 a mile from Lake Erie, in one of the seven places on the planet that receive Lake Effect Snow.

STOPPED READING long enough to reply... Been there.  If you have to live up there this is like the best you can get. Presque Isle, Kelly Island, Put-In-bay are nice too!

I always wondered what folks on Kellys Island do for emergencies when the lake is frozen? Does the lake freeze enough to ride snowmobiles safely to get a 911 situaton across?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:37:12 pm by Gazoo »

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:39 pm »

The polar vortex thing is also ridiculous. lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:35:40 pm by Gazoo »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re:The Latest 'Polar Vortex'- Or Whatever it is-Snowstorm, named LEON
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »
The polar vortex thing is also ridiculous. lol

It makes for nice scare quotes headlines.

It's a real thing though. Of course, once it's not over the pole, it is no longer a polar vortex  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re:The Latest 'Polar Vortex'- Or Whatever it is-Snowstorm, named LEON
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:23 pm »
It makes for nice scare quotes headlines.

It's a real thing though. Of course, once it's not over the pole, it is no longer a polar vortex  :laugh:
It has to do with where it originates, not where it is. There are polar vortices, tropical vortices and continental vortices.

And a vortex is just a flashy name for a circulation. A low-pressure (storm) system is a vortex, but so are those high pressure bubbles that bring pretty sunshine.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Latest 'Polar Vortex'- Or Whatever it is-Snowstorm, named LEON
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:19:56 pm »
That appears to at least be partially inspired by Tom Niziol, who joined the Weather Channel a couple years ago. He came from the National Weather Service office in Buffalo, where they had a program that gave quirky names to the lake-effect snowstorms that came off Lakes Erie and Ontario. Their system, however, doesn't name the storm until AFTER the storm is over, for summary purposes.

The Weather Channel's system seems more to be attention grabbing than anything. It's something that has been going on more and more ever since NBC took over the channel several years ago.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »
We got made fun of where I  live for shutting down for two days. The Atl. Mayor is going to be in some deep trouble.

Helicopters Search for Stranded Drivers in Deep South
http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/29/helicopters-search-for-stranded-drivers-in-deep-south/

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:35:07 pm by Gazoo »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:40 pm »

It could be a screen shot from War of the Worlds, or I am Legend.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »
You're right, it could be!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:57:34 pm by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:10:01 pm »
Yep I just read where many slept at their employment and in those vehicles or walked to stores to sleep. Children slept on school buses.

Even if they got the forecast wrong ( which I heard myself on the weather channel ATL and bama getting cummute time warnings) he screwed up letting everyone in Atl. roll out the same time.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »
I always wondered what folks on Kellys Island do for emergencies when the lake is frozen? Does the lake freeze enough to ride snowmobiles safely to get a 911 situaton across?
We went to K.I. to attend a summer wedding (my sister and her family frequently vacation there, too) and I had the same thought. It must be brutally cold there in winter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org