Author Topic: Rep. Radel resigns, following cocaine charges  (Read 546 times)

Offline flowers

Rep. Radel resigns, following cocaine charges
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/27/rep-radel-to-resign-following-cocaine-charges/?intcmp=latestnews

Republican Rep. Trey Radel, the Florida congressman who pleaded guilty late last year to cocaine-possession charges, has resigned.

In a letter sent Monday to House Speaker John Boehner, Radel wrote that it's been "an honor" to serve but "some of my struggles had serious consequences."

"While I have dealt with those issues on a personal level, it is my belief that professionally I cannot fully and effectively serve as a United States Representative to the place I love and call home, Southwest Florida," he wrote.

The decision comes after Radel for weeks insisted he was staying in Congress, in hopes of trying to "rebuild the trust" of voters.

He went to a rehab center after his arrest, and dismissed calls from Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott and others to resign.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Rep. Radel resigns, following cocaine charges
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:17:29 am »
When Joe 6-Pack blows his supervisor career at Pay Less Shoes on a dirty urine test, I say there but for the grace of God...but when a rising star of the Tea Party goes down in a safe GOP district, I go hmmm.

He was told to resign and when he didn't he was persuaded somehow.